Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

tribal hunter

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
hey all. just posting up my piece that im workin on for the evolvecg hunter challenge.

here was my initial base sculpt.

hunter-anatomy02.jpg

and after a couple days of reworking anatomy.. here is what i have as of thursday (i have more done with the head but i just havent taken the screengrabs yet).

hunter-anatomy05.jpg

hunter-hands.jpg

hunter-legs.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh.. i felt bad, so i grabbed screens of my latest.

hunter-head.jpg

hunter-anatomy06.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. its been some time since ive posted an update. did not get a chance to work on it too much this weekend, but i found some time today. after a gigantic reference hunt yesterday, ive started the apparel for my character. ive only taken two pieces into zbrush though. here's what we've got so far.

Mayan-Hunter.jpg

Mayan-Sandal.jpg

Mayan-Cloth.jpg

Mayan-Head.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I would advise designing the character as a whole first, you're taking a very generic base and adding very generic additions to it. Plan out clothing and accessories with distinctive features, because at the moment he doesnt really have any character. :)

The hands seem a bit small, and the shoulders too broad, keep it up though, im glad you havent gone over the top with muscles as most people do when sculpting. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. its funny to hear the contradictory crits. ive heard people tell me the shoulders are not broad enough. lol. but i do have an overall design for the character, i am just bringing the pieces into zbrush 1 by 1 so i dont get distracted (or so my computer doesnt take a dump on me)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates on this guy. its been a while but im workin on it progressively. added accessories and whatnot. very little change to the anatomy but i am getting to that eventually. i will be adding some asymmetry just to shake things up a bit. '

Mayan01.jpg

Mayan02.jpg

Mayan03.jpg

Mayan04.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a generic background character for a film about tribes. I think he needs to be more toned, since tribesmen tend to be very trained.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    hey dude, nice work. The sculpt on the individual limbs are really nice. The problem areas IMO are the shoulders and upper arms - there's no sense of musculature. No deltoid connecting into the bicep, no tricep head. You have that going on where the pectoral meets the deltoid, which is nice. Just need it for the arms as well. Wrists are looking a little thin and the hands maybe too small.

The head - face is nice, definitely nailed something about that particular ethnic group. I'm guessing he's Native South American? Please say yes or I'm gonna look like the idiot :-\ But I think you could push the silhouette more. Pop those cheekbones, shape that chin (bring those ears forward, I think they're a bit too far back, proportionately).

Overall, if he's a tribal hunter, this guy is gonna be lean but the way his silhouette is right now, he's a bit to bulky to be sneaking up on an unsuspecting animal. Ideally he should be slightly thinner and definitely more cut.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you are correct pangarang. (or close enough anyway) he is of Mayan origin. thanks for the crit.. ill definitely take that into account when i rework the final anatomy before retopologizing.

@ iWeReZ: well i didnt want him to be too defined. to be quite honest im tired of seeing these superdefined characters nowadays. i would like to focus on a body type that has some body fat count to it, not like these Schwarzenegger-like characters. my original idea for this guy was that he was going to be from an african tribe, but during concept stage i decided against it. if i had gone with that then i definitely would have gone for an extremely toned look (as seen in movies such as 10,000 BC).

personally i think that the anatomy fits for a mayan. i labeled the title tribal hunter before i had decided on the mayan, but if you guys say he needs a bit more definition, ill do what i can.. thanks :D