Home Technical Talk

Creatign Smoke in 3dsmax, Help!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Alrighty so this is how far I got.

smoke.rar - 0.01MB

The file is 3dsmax2009 and I have played around with the emitters but I can't figure out the settings to straighten it out and make it look say like soft hot coffee smoke.

I need it as if it was alive that's the control I need how would I go about that? It only goes in one direction how do I manipulate it to twist turn and change colors maybe add bursts here and there, think the gremlins when he jumps into the pool that's the type of bursts I am talking bout.

Thanks for any help PC.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Why not simply post a picture or animation. This reads like a job description - not as a discussion.
  • Mark Dygert
    hmmm... have you thought about getting a dropbox. I'm not a big fan of waiting for downloads.

Without looking at the file yet (still waiting for the link to activate...) have you checked out Allen McKay's tutorials? There are two that I can think of that cover particle based smoke.

http://vfxsolution.com/allanmckay/2009/11/legacy-fx-tutorials/

At some point I'll get around to looking at the file.

EDIT:
    Yep, follow Allen McKay's Smoke tutorial, and probably a few others, they will be very eye opening. You're missing a few forces that will help give you the effect you're looking for. Off the top of my head I think you could get it done by added a few drag forces, then bind them to your emitters, set them to spherical. 1-2 should get you close, probably animate a few parameters, maybe toss in a wind and maybe gravity too.