Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tyre Treads

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the way i do wireframe renders is clone the object, add a push modifier with a push value of .3 or less, then apply a standard material with the wireframe box checked
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool Vid Vile! I always like watching others techniques!

@Dippndots: Yep, thats a great way to show rendered mesh and wireframe together.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I used use the push modifier, but found the lattice mod to be more accurate and is just as easy to set up.

http://donott-lcad.blogspot.com/2009/09/create-simple-wireframe-render-for-your.html
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Never seen tyre treads as uniform in design as those before, the method is pretty good but you would be much better off following a real world design and then modifiying it to suit your tastes, if required.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice ott hadn't thought of that, I like it more than mine since you don't end up with the floating wires even when you look up close
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    instead of selecting every edge in a row, select one and then press the loop button or ring, (i have my own shortcuts for these set up, but i'm sure max has default shortcuts,

when cloning out a bunch of things, just clone once an type in the number you want in that lil box.

clone with snaps on so you can snap perfectly edge to edge without that overlap.

why do you keep rendering? viewport is much better

press j to turn off the ugly white selection brackets when you are working.

and is this suposed to be high poly or low? its got far too many small bevels to be low poly but the mesh is not modeled in a way to make it good for subd, its like a sloppy hybrid, you should pick one or the other.

i think its brillant you posting vids so ppl can actualy comment on how you model things and give critique, if you listen you will learn a lot
  • Vile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    instead of selecting every edge in a row, select one and then press the loop button or ring, (i have my own shortcuts for these set up, but i'm sure max has default shortcuts,

when cloning out a bunch of things, just clone once an type in the number you want in that lil box.

clone with snaps on so you can snap perfectly edge to edge without that overlap.

why do you keep rendering? viewport is much better

press j to turn off the ugly white selection brackets when you are working.

and is this suposed to be high poly or low? its got far too many small bevels to be low poly but the mesh is not modeled in a way to make it good for subd, its like a sloppy hybrid, you should pick one or the other.

i think its brillant you posting vids so ppl can actualy comment on how you model things and give critique, if you listen you will learn a lot

<3 thanks alot, very helpfull!
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not sure if this is the best way to do wireframes but what I do is....

For 3dsmax.

1. Create a composite material (you have to be rendering with mental ray)

2. Set a color for the main material.

3. make the 2nd material a Standard material and check 'Wire'

4. Next change the blending mode to overlay the wire over the other shader.

This takes just a minute to set up and you dont end up with an extra mesh overtop of your main mesh. Everything is done with the material.