Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LP730 Project

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
New computer parts in - built up, and working! So I spent this weekend starting a new project testing out my new setup - Iteration time has increased due to quicker previewing so I'm working less for more, so needless to say I am very happy with it so far :)

So this is a new car design I did, calling it "Prototype LP730", building completely from creating interesting lines and following the forms, with having looked through some of my car reference before starting. Lots of iterations went on because of this, but I'm happy with where it's come.

So I've got the main car high pretty much done - I'll probably tweak a few areas moving some verts around as I play with adding some more weird goods on it (which I've started). My inspiration for this is wanting to create a more readable post apocalyptic vehicle. So I want to scratch and dent it up (mudbox fun!) and make a variation with accessories, but also keeping bigger forms from becoming too busy.

The plan is to build this from high to low to textures and materials, and then playing with some presentation - and hopefully learn some workflow improvements in the process. I hope to finish this project before the holidays coming up, I'll keep this thread as up to date as I can.

Low and Textured 11/22

Hey thanks guys! I've been hard at work on this guy and got it all low'd bake'd and texture'd. Love the new speed again for material iterations, I'm happy with how this turned out.. I could do the additions I talked about, but I also feel like this guy might get a little lonely by himself.... maybe he needs a friend?...

LP730_game_render06.jpg

LP730_game_render05.jpg

LP730_game_render04.jpg

LP730_game_render03.jpg

LP730_game_render02.jpg

LP730_game_render01.jpg

LP730_game_normals.jpg

LP730_game_wires.jpg

New Renders 11/17

LP730_mr01.jpg

LP730_mr02.jpg

LP730_mr03.jpg

LP730_mr04.jpg

More renders/pics here: LP730 Renders

Replies

• holygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strangely reminds me of the car from back to the future haha... Looks amazing though man, keep it up, really really nice renders btw.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I want to live in a post apocalyptic future where people are still able to build cars like that. Looks more like a crazy modern race car.

I'm not saying I hate the design or anything, it looks great, but it really doesn't have much story or info of what kind of world it'd be in, but apparently there's cleared roads, and nice tools.

I'd reinforce the bumpers and roof some how.
    I think It'd be cool if you some how could hint at or make it look like it was made from multiple cars.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome, now put some guns on it.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    dope :)

almost a shame to ding it up in mudbox, but character fo teh win
    and i really like how it reads, it's squarer in certain views, top view sells it especially. All it needs now is rockets and machine guns stuck all over it =D
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool man digging the post apocalyptic theme (and these regular weekend projects), good to hear about your computer, what did you swap out?

Overall the car body looks sick, very Mercedes Mclaren/muscle car/Ferrari. My only gripe is the protrusion in the middle of the bumper looks really thin around the edges, and the rear lights are so dark we can't see those awesome taillight details.

If possible could you post a larger version of a wireframe view, im trying to learn good edge flow techniques and your model's wires looks very simple compared to the a car I just modeled, and your high poly ends up looking even better.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. For some reason the overall shape is kinda reminding me of a Chrysler Crossfire, heh.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    yeah very cool!

Only one note about the renderer...
    If there are raltime screenshoots, can't you activate manually the AntiAliasing function from your graphical card?
    On my Nvidia there is a stupid option "Let the 3D application decide" on with ATI you can adjust the anti-alisa level on each program... (my wife computer can do it .... wtf... -__-....)

It could delete some scanline stuff...

Or maybe I'm wrong...

Anyay. Modeling is quite angle and clean, very good work here! ^_^
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    shazbot, you're even starting to make other robots feel jealous....

Only complaint I can muster is that ride height must be a bit hard on uneven/dirt/etc roads and would make for one hell of a stiff ride! A little flex room would be nice on the logic end, though keeping the wheels super tight to the wheel wells definitely gives it a super-race-car feel...

I really like the effect the addons are having to the shape, especially the big intakes on the back.

Is this thing going to be rear or front/mid engine? As it is now I could see it going either way with the opposite side being hollowed out for ammunition storage/weaponry...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    the shit's bananas! awesome stuff per usual.
    i'm with slum... put some 50cals on that mug or something insane.
    it does have that crossfire feel to the rear section, but i think that makes it even sexier with those big scoops for the wells.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I want to buy that car. Tell ford to make this shit.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nissan 350 and crossfire and the new mustang going wild on a crazy sex party.
    Looking sweet modeling wise :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Mann... pardon my french, but that is tight as FUCK!

Awesome
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I'm getting a bit of a DeLorean vibe from the cockpit and silver finish. Very cool design, it looks very tough and tank-like. Fantastic high-poly work as well.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    sweeet car. cool design~
  • Soft_Hands
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the comments! Sorry I don't have time to respond individually right now, but I appreciate all the constructive crits so far - I'll be adjusting some of those things while I do my low/final high pass fo sho. I've been deciding on making two versions of this so all those add on post apocolyptic goodies can ground it in the theme, but I'd also like to do a cleaner version for myself (and anyone who would appreciate that style more) - similar to a GRID style look.

Anyway, more pics and I'll have some game res stuff coming soon!

LP730_mr01.jpg

LP730_mr02.jpg

LP730_mr03.jpg

LP730_mr04.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Cacophony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just funking shint myself.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, now I see the Veyron influence in the back, very swizz
  • robby_lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robby_lamb polycounter lvl 17
    Reminds me a bit of a Panoz. good looking artem
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good man the rims look fantastic
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    What can I say? Looks awesome!
  • cloakingturtle
    That is just amazing. I love your work.

How many hours does it take to make something like that. Oh and for how long have you been doing 3d?

Again... WOW!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin great man. but how are mutants supposed to fit inside it?
  • bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    gotta admit the red and black looks pretty sick
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys! I've been hard at work on this guy and got it all low'd bake'd and texture'd. Love the new speed again for material iterations, I'm happy with how this turned out.. I could do the additions I talked about, but I also feel like this guy might get a little lonely by himself.... maybe he needs a friend?...

LP730_game_render06.jpg

LP730_game_render05.jpg

LP730_game_render04.jpg

LP730_game_render03.jpg

LP730_game_render02.jpg

LP730_game_render01.jpg

LP730_game_normals.jpg

LP730_game_wires.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too much carbon fiber for my taste, maybe have a clear coat on it?

I really do love love love the first renders you had... Real nice work.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think this texture is going to be kind of a hit or miss with people, but I personally like it and wanted to go for the more extreme GRID style of presentation just a little different. I may do a clean version of this, but I'm on the fence now since the high renders are clean and showcasing the model. (sure just the high, but the design/style is represented)

We shall see though, if it isn't too time consuming I'll try to get some renders of a clean version :)

Thanks Titus!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The white #07 sign seems way too bright in those renders, just turn it down a bit, or either change the sign to white on black or take 'em out.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome man im digging the rough fiber weave look, some of the whites, like ZacD pointed out are too bright, but to add; the checker pattern on the rear wing imo also seems a little too clean and bright, the best whites are the vertical stripes on the door, roof scoop and on the side of the rear window. I think the reason the wing checker board whites look so bright is that they are missing the dirty texture (or its just too small to have a real effect) compared to the other stripes.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    This looks mad. :D Super nice modelling, and those renders look great (I'm especially liking the shot with the brakelights).

Might want to tone down the DOF in the renders, though. I'm not sure if it's that or the materials, but I'm getting a distinct model-kit vibe.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I made some adjustments to the decals, the wear was a little light and bright - should be better now. Updated original pics.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow! Looking sexy!
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Brad!

I designed him a friend. Need to make some minor changes to materials and some of the geo beforehand but hopefully have time for low and textures this weekend.

R1-A_MR_high01.jpg

R1-A_MR_high02.jpg

R1-A_MR_high03.jpg

R1-A_MR_high04.jpg

R1-A_high_wires01.jpg

Edit: GF wanted blue, here's a quick blue.

R1-A_MR_high01_blue.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    just got to say as always WOW. i would think after seeing you constantly post amazing work up here I would get use to it but every time I see something new I am blown away once again.

both these cars look fantastic. the design on both of them is so different yet they both share the same design of great flowing curves mixed with harsh angles here and there. works so well.

wish i had one of these carbon fiber prototype cars sitting outside waiting for me to drive way in it :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, he is hiding something

input * awesome + sauce = amazing outcome
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    hooooot. Love the shader work, the carbon fiber is flawless.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work man, you once again prove that you can have a job, a girlfriend and still have time to make great models. GG
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Crazzzy with 3 z's.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon - Really appreciate it man! That's exactly the mix of designs I am aiming for :) Thanks!

Rens - * time - sleep! Thanks :)

Poop - Thank you! I'm glad you like it man.

Dippndots - Yep, it's quite a bit to juggle sometimes but I love doing this stuff so it's worth it for me. Thanks man.

Racer - zzzzzzz! 7x thanks~

I'm hard at work finishing up some uv's for the low, so I should have some textures soon!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I missed this one till now. I think that more than the impressiveness of the final result, the unrelentingly frugal use of polys you used to generate such perfection is more intimidating to me and a lesson in control for all of us.

top work.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you have some nice concepts :P

The second one is great... Reminds me of a Maserati MC12, F40, and the back of some other older Maserati... Awesome.

Are you also putting CF all over that one too?
  • Monkey_King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the model not a big fan of the carbon fiber though. (Hey some you win some you don't) i recall seeing a pic of a Ferrari with a Bronze color it was black but the specular was sort of golden it was the most wicked paint i have seen on any car. Just a thought I liked the early red and black version myself but would love to see some wicked fresnel color work on it.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm, love the blue version best...I think one fat stripe would look nicer over those intakes on the hood than two skinny ones, otherwise very hot stuff, makes me wonder what kind of crazy fancy dash this car would have (maybe something like the reventon...)

Cant wait to see textures
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jensen polycounter lvl 11
    That is one seriously awesome car! I love the freaking backend... DROOL
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin - I've learned taking on personal challenges (the engine I was building some time back) that less is more sometimes, and I try to keep my meshes very clean to work with. It's cool that you noticed I try to keep it efficient :) Thanks man.

Titus - Thanks! You hit the MC12 dead on, totally one of the cars I gained some inspiration off of. Zonda F was some of the other, and can't really remember what else - just random visuals of cars I've admired over the years in my head hah.

Monkey_King - No worries, I knew it'd be a personal taste kind of thing, which part of me likes and part of me wants the smooth surface. I think I may have mentioned it before, that I kept the high renders smoother to balance that out and actually texture the lows. I was playing with some fresnal materials right before I saw your post though. It's been pretty time consuming just messing with material properties and map contributions, I think I'm gonna have to stop here on this one and continue when I have more time to start my next project.

Sandbag - Thanks dude - put one big stripe on the textured version, good call!

Jensen - You're still alive! Glad you like it man :)

And, some pics for this post:

R1-A_game_render01.jpg

R1-A_game_render02.jpg

R1-A_game_render03.jpg

R1-A_game_render04.jpg

R1-A_game_wires.jpg

R1-A_normals.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    kick ass work man. =)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man those textures turned out nice! The more subtle effect of the carbon fiber surface looks great with the blue paint.

Any chance for a two monitor sized wallpaper render? Say one with a car for each monitor? That would be pretty swizz..