Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see lotz ov wasted screen-space. Gimme tightly packed buttons! :)
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Simply cool now if we get the Gimp devs todo such an clean appealing UI Autodesk and Adobe may get some serious competition. Blender was always pretty cool for a tool but the UI was always something that drove me nuts, that seriously looks like they get something done.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    anyone know if improved collada support is in there from the get go?
    Collada improvements have been merged to trunk (= main development version) earlier this month, so they should be available in alpha 0 release.
    I see lotz ov wasted screen-space. Gimme tightly packed buttons!
    It is possible to resize (narrower-wider) all of the fields you see on that screenshot (apart from the welcome screen) so buttons can be squished together. In addition, elements of the properties window (the lower-right one) allign themselves into a single collumn once the window is narrow enough.
    Simply cool now if we get the Gimp devs todo such an clean appealing UI Autodesk and Adobe may get some serious competition. Blender was always pretty cool for a tool but the UI was always something that drove me nuts, that seriously looks like they get something done.
    I don't want to go too off-topic so I'll only briefly mention this: for the next official release GIMP 2.8 is planned to have an optional (but default) single-window UI. It'll be based mostly on this proposal http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2009/09/gimp-single-mode.html
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    kraftwerk, and its only the beginning really, it's the way they made the ui more flexible now, notice that the tooltip points the the script segment that is run when you click it,

and I saw a console that feedsback the pythoncommand for everything you do, so simple macro scripts should be simple now I guess.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Sandro wrote: »
    I see lotz ov wasted screen-space. Gimme tightly packed buttons! :)

Ctrl+MMB changes the size of the buttons. Is this enough space for you ;) ?

BlenderScreenspace.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Blender 2.5 Alpha 0 is available for download. It doesn't have all the 2.49b features integrated yet and there are plenty of 2.5 targets not realised in it yet, but this is nonetheless a good opportunity to try Blender 2.5.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    can anyone figure out how to change collada export settings?
    I just say save as collada and it saves a file

edit: don't know if its quest or blender, but in quest3d the mesh is scrambled to hell. vert order is messed, and the animation is bugged. shheit
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    can anyone figure out how to change collada export settings?
    I just say save as collada and it saves a file

The same happens here. Seems like a bug. The lack of settings was already reported, but nothing about only saving a regular file. Will ask around and if nothing, report a bug.
    edit: don't know if its quest or blender, but in quest3d the mesh is scrambled to hell. vert order is messed, and the animation is bugged. shheit

Blender 2.5 uses collada 1.5.0, perhaps quest3d uses an older version and this causes the problem?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I must say I really like it so far, though it took some time to work into the new UI.

Regarding that... does anybody know what happened to that fancy menu that appeared when hitting the space bar?
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Regarding that... does anybody know what happened to that fancy menu that appeared when hitting the space bar?

If you're looking for "add object" functionality it's now shift+A. The rest of the stuff was reorganized to other menus in the 3d window's header and toolbar.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Ah that did it :D thank you very much
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lamoot wrote: »
    If you're looking for "add object" functionality it's now shift+A. The rest of the stuff was reorganized to other menus in the 3d window's header and toolbar.

Yeah I noticed...hm...not initially impressed with the changes but I guess they'll grow on me...personally the commands on the space key aren't something I would put on such an accesible key...

Anyone else know where the menus that used to be at the top toolbar (once you it pulled down) have gone?
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    Lamoot wrote: »
    shift+A has always been the key to add stuff.. i guess people historically found spacebar to be easier?
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    Anyone else know where the menus that used to be at the top toolbar (once you it pulled down) have gone?
    File > User Preferences
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm...a lot has changed, not really feeling it at the moment. Im sure once there are some video tutorials about how to navigate the new blender it will get better, and that the changes are for the best in the long run, but after having used the program for so long to feeling like its a whole new tool I now have to learn, its kinda annoying. And I'm pretty sure all the documentation I've ever bought (books, dvds) is not essentially useless because so much has changed. (They've even moved the bevel tool for gods sake). Guess you can't please everybody.

Have they made the cut tool practical in this release? (can't find it) Like so you can slice from one vertex to another? And how can I have the program start in full screen instead of windowed each time it opens? Thats a bit annoying.
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    if you want videos, browse Michael Fox's blog: http://blenderlabrat.blogspot.com/

if by "cut tool" you mean knife cut, hold k and LMB and drag.. to toggle full-screen click the right-most icon in the info header..

use spacebar to search for tools and functions..
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    How do you get out of the render screen and back to your work space? I hit F12 and it takes me to a new place to see the render

edit, f11, nevermind!
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    daaark: try hitting escape
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hotkey editor has 6 actions all called call_menu, for 6 different menus, and that's just in EditMesh... yeah, that's not really helping me there. Looks like you might be better off editing the Keymaps through the script editor?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie, The UI stuff will not be 100% ready until the next alpha.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Is Blender 2.5 supposed to include n-gon support for the final release, or is that not in the cards?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n-gons are coming when the b-mesh project is finished, and merged into the main program. If the author ever finishes it.

Like lots of OSS stuff, bmesh has turned into alchemy. It was due to be finished 'any moment now', but now it's in an endless loop of stalling while the author demands more money from the community.

On Nov 11, he was happy with the donations and they'd allow him time to work on bmesh and get ti done quickly.

On Nov 12, the donations suddenly weren't enough, and he now needs 1000$ a month to keep working on the project.

Richard Stallman has been pulling this with HURD for twenty years.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Daaark wrote: »

On Nov 11, he was happy with the donations and they'd allow him time to work on bmesh and get ti done quickly.

On Nov 12, the donations suddenly weren't enough, and he now needs 1000$ a month to keep working on the project.

Hmm...he actually says on the 11th that they are low but it is donations that have allowed the project to come this far.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf wrote: »
    if you want videos, browse Michael Fox's blog: http://blenderlabrat.blogspot.com/

if by "cut tool" you mean knife cut, hold k and LMB and drag.. to toggle full-screen click the right-most icon in the info header..

That cut tool is handy, but it doesnt snap from vert to vert :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    meh I just tried the 2.5 alpha on my eeePC (atom 1.6 ghz processor) and it lags very unpleasent in the GUI.
    Damn here I wish they could do a better job as recently Autodesk (ribbon interface) and adobe (cs3+ gui).

But I think I will have a closer look at my next RD project at the company to get familiar with the python scripting (exporting / importing assets) and writing tools.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    meh I just tried the 2.5 alpha on my eeePC (atom 1.6 ghz processor) and it lags very unpleasent in the GUI.
    Damn here I wish they could do a better job as recently Autodesk (ribbon interface) and adobe (cs3+ gui).

It also depend on your graphics card, as Blender uses OpenGL to draw all of the GUI stuff. In the user preferences, go to System, and on the right side Window Draw Method with 3 options to choose from. See if any of these works better.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did Bevel go? Hmm...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    not in 2.5 yet I guess
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did Bevel go? Hmm...

Was thinking that myself. How the hell can you release a 3D program without a bevel tool...really. This thing isn't ready to be released, wonder why they did so.

Anyone finding the way you split/collapse a window completely retarded compared to 2.4X? Bring back right clicking I say.
  • Daaark
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I couldn't find it either.

I also seems the hotkey for the align/weld menu is gone in the UV Window, which makes UV'ing a pain, if you ask me. I'm still using 2.49b, because I think 2.5 needs customisation and it's a little too early spend time to recode half the UI.

This is handy: Where'd that button go?

Edit: Daaamn you Daaark!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    its the right time to start for me though :)
    I noticed yesterday that panning on the middle mouse button (if configured so) is ignored and instead the camera is rotated.
    But I already like the customization, flipped mouse buttons and now I need to think less when navigating and moving objects.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to make a button that applies the real time texture to a rendering material.

edit: I find it a bit hard to slice off a new viewport in the 3d views, either I hit the plus, or move the 3d cursor.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I need to make a button that applies the real time texture to a rendering material.

open up a window with the python console, it has realtime feedback of everything you do in blender now!

some copypaste and anything you did becomes a script for re-use ;)
  • dyf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyf
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I just tried the 2.5 alpha on my eeePC (atom 1.6 ghz processor) and it lags very unpleasent in the GUI.

i'm experiencing a laggy interface on my craptop too.
    but since this is experimental and many features are not ported anyway, i'm still sticking with 2.49.. i will say that a netbook isn't an ideal machine to run any 3d program..

as for the 'ribbon' interface, i remember reading news articles at the time office 2007 was released.. they were talking about the irony that MS was able to patent the interface even though it was already done in Blender. i remember Blender having context-sensitive controls probably since its beginning..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

yep, read that before I posted...problems arise AFTER reading that article lol...god knows what else is missing...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's alpha :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Everytime I want to give Blender a serious try it always seems like the Blender guys are shooting themselfves in the feet with a new, weird release hehe

Still no 'modeling only' branch available?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Everytime I want to give Blender a serious try it always seems like the Blender guys are shooting themselfves in the feet with a new, weird release hehe

Still no 'modeling only' branch available?

like this?

piorone.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking quite slick!
    does it support maya-style viewport navigation?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior, that was only a few second drag and pulls in the interface, removed a few windows so that the main viewport took up most of the space, but kept the toolbar on the left, you can change it all you like.

pior, I'm guessing yes, since you can add any kind of hotkeys, and replace older ones, give it a bit of time and someone will probably convert the input to maya style.

but I'm not sure how far along 2.5 is yet, still stuff that hasn't been added over from 2.49.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pior,

Check out this thread - it's about getting Maya-ish navigation in Blender:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1013682

It uses a program called AutoHotKey and a script that polycounter Rooster wrote and modified.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yea pior blender is a bit strange and I was a big blender hater.. but they are getting better and better and with the new gui this could be the first version where I call this my 2nd modeling app (uv stuff is still bit zzZZZzz in v2.49)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah I definitely keep an eye on its development, as it seems extremely promising from a feature standpoint. No hate here, just genuine interest sometimes cooled down by some of the weird design choices I noticed in the past :P I mean I can see that autohotkey could be a nice hack ... but having user defined navigation would mean that the guys behind Blender really want to make their app less of a niche thing. 3DCoat is a great example for that, its viewport navigation customization options should be standard honestly....

By the way Eld what version is that on that one screenhot? Is it available already?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior, that is the 2.5 alpha version

http://www.blender.org/download/get-25-alpha/

as the name suggests it's still lacking some things, and has bugs, but you'll be able to feel how new and fresh blender feels in this version.

the ui and message system in blender was rewritten for just this, everything should, and if it's not, can be connected to the system via python, so that it should in theory be keymappable.

most functions are already in that system.

so post 2.5, no more hacks :)
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    its looking quite slick!
    does it support maya-style viewport navigation?
    You have to set up this manually, but yes it is possible. Lots of things are:

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Mind though, alt+RMB is already mapped in mesh edit mode as loop select. While alt+RMB might work in non-edit modes, you can experience problems in edit mode itself (that is if you don't change all the necessary things in the first place).
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I hope someone starts the same for max stylish navigation without the need of extra tools to be installed.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I have had a little mess about with the 2.5 Alpha 0 but until everything that is in 2.49 is ported over to 2.5 (next Alpha apparently) i wont be using it for anything other that to gain familiarity with the new GUI.
    The first thing i did was change the Add menu from Shift+A too Space bar.
    There are some bits missing such as baking, which i cant live without, but the next Alpha version should be great.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    To be honest the 2.5 Alpha0 Version is the first Blender i like, with the older versions i couldn´t do a thing, but now its worth to try for me :)