Home General Discussion

Assassins Creed 2

Replies

• Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    aside from all the things adam mentioned, i like the humour in it, wasn't really present in ac1, but it's peppered through out 2. i loled at ezio's uncle introducing himself
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Played for a good bit last night. Actually did quite a bit of exploring before I got the wrist blade, which made for some interesting duck-and-dodge avoidance of the guards.

Loving it so far
    , and really like the hidden code mini game stuff.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    so far it's an excellent game does anyone think someone jacked the kristen bell character up? She at least resembled her in AC1 but in AC2 it's like her mouth quadrupled in size and something just isn't sitting right with me lost the resemblence.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    so far it's an excellent game does anyone think someone jacked the kristen bell character up? She at least resembled her in AC1 but in AC2 it's like her mouth quadrupled in size and something just isn't sitting right with me lost the resemblence.

Yah, I noticed that she's got quite the Steven Tyler sized mouth. A lot of the faces seem kinda off and unfinished to me, would have been nice to see a bit more spit n' polish on the main characters' faces.
  • 00Zero
    desmonds eyebrows are like 3 inches thick. they cover his whole upper eye lid
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Played it for a good bit more this evening.. damn this game is fun.

Is there an easy way to visit Leonardo between missions to him for decrypting codexes? I can't seem to get in to talk to him... and often lose track of where the hell his place is.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the fifth (or was it fourth) "truth" puzzle, the one with the keyword being "CUT". Anyone figure that out? (Be sure to spoiler tag your reply.)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yah.

It's-a me, Mario! :D!
  • vargatom
    flaagan wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the fifth (or was it fourth) "truth" puzzle, the one with the keyword being "CUT". Anyone figure that out? (Be sure to spoiler tag your reply.)
    You use swords to cut.
    Then you use something else to do something else with (second part).

So far I've been able to solve all the puzzles on the first try, but some were really, really hard... interesting touch though.

Jumping in the tombs gets me really annoyed sometimes, on the other hand.
  • 00Zero
    how do you work the spoiler stuff
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    [ spoiler ]text here[ /spoiler ] without the spaces.
  • vargatom
    Skulburn wrote: »
    Is there any way to find out the percentage progress through the storyline?
    Since Venice is pretty much the last town you can visit, I'd say there isn't much left. One more district is left to explore and then you'll probably revisit one or two previous areas, and then it will probably start with the finale.
    Or you can check how many conspirators are left, although the game can always add some more people to the list :)

At least that's how it was in the first game. Though the final series of battles will probably take a few good hours to complete.
    If you haven't got all the equipment and such that you can, maybe it's time to do so. Completing all six tombs to get Altair's armor can take many hours ;)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    So much to doooooo~!
    Holy hell this game is awesome.
  • 00Zero
    im a little hesitant to buy the nice expensive armor, do you think i should just splurge on it? will i make my money back later?
  • ru4it
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    00Zero wrote: »
    im a little hesitant to buy the nice expensive armor, do you think i should just splurge on it? will i make my money back later?

do it. it will help get add life to the life bar. and you will most deffinetly make the moneyback
    in ~20min after buying because of the income received from the villa
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    All of your money should go in to your villa. Every. Last. Penny. In 2 hours you can be making $4000f every 20 minutes. When I have to go eat dinner or something I know will take an hour, I idle the game and come back a florillionnaire.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    When I have to go eat dinner or something I know will take an hour, I idle the game and come back a florillionnaire.

Genius. Think I'll give this a try. I'm makin' bank with my villa right now, almost everything's up to 2/3 rebuild.

Oh yah, if you like the story so far, I highly recommend you go on to UPlay (press Y from the main menu) and unlock the family crypt that's in the villa. Some really cool back story on Auditore family stuffed away in there.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    oh wicked, thanks for the tip flaagan! im still really enjoying the game and im like 5 hours in, better than the 3 i got in and was bored in the 1st.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    My gawd i vant dis game...

soon....sooonnnn!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    great game! just finished it, best environments ever!
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Hope Desmond's outfit is something besides his greyish hoody
    and I demand vehicles so I can free run across moving traffic because that would be awesome
  • 00Zero
    NEED HELP! but...SPOILER
    I'm at the part where youre in a dream or w/e where youre altair and youre chasing this dude around a castle and you have to climb a big round stone tower. I climbed to the overhang with the door and the piece of wood sticking out with a lamp on it. but im stuck there. i cant find any other way to the top other than jumping on the wood and then climbing up. but i swear ive been trying to get on that piece of wood for like 45 minutes and i cant. its pissing me off so bad. is there supposed to be another way in? if so, dont tell me where, just tell me theres another way to finish it. kthaxbye
    Ok, after running around for a while i came back to the tower again and the door that the dude ran into is open again...but theres nothing inside. just a bare triangular room...

HOLY FUCKING HELL. ok, i figured it out after an hour...

you have to run against the wall, jump, land on the wall, then jump backwards to get onto the wood. it makes no sense at all. i think this is a bug...they need to patch this ASAP because i dont think other people would have as much patience as me. GAME...BREAKER

ok back to the story now.

omg. i dont know if this is intentional or another bug...but
    my camera is now stuck on the woman laying on the floor at the roof of the tower but i can still move altair around. i cant see him though, hes behind the camera. i can see bits of his clothing as i move around. the chick isnt moving though. it seems like the camera was supposed to transition onto altair but its stuck on the woman...anybody else have this experiece? man this whole little level seems broken. the funny thing is with a storyline like this i dont know if its a bug or some kind of "data corruption"
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Saw this today, on CGS, gotta say it looks pretty impressive, I've yet to to play the game.

144290_1258830272_large.jpg
  • vargatom
    Unfortunately it won't look that good in the game, texture budget is killing a lot of the details :( AFAIK they have 1/4 sized normal and spec maps...
  • BHJ
    While they look great in that CGS shot - they look (for the most part) abysmal in-game. A lot of the characters just come over doughy and unpolished - a shame to say how many cut-scenes and dialogue there is.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I still want to steal their base mesh.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    shouldn't be difficult to use it as reference from that picture...

anywho, i was specifically told by the missus not to buy it, so i'm guessing i have to wait a month before i get a "surprise".

=[
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm really enjoying this game for the most part, but one of my main bugbears from the original remains: There is no real challenge to any of the gameplay elements and no real consequences for being spotted/chased. There's no advantage to being stealthy as regardless of whether you are rumbled while attempting an assassination, it's way too easy to kill the target and any guards that are nearby. Ezio is just too powerful a character and there is no sense of danger or satisfaction from playing the game well. I feel like I should limit the amount of health potions I buy, or be really strict about how often I'm spotted by an enemy, but I shouldn't be having to make up my own framework, should I? Also, the guards give up following you so quickly that you really don't need to do anything more than run in the opposite direction for a few seconds.

I guess that (like the first game) I would have appreciated a harder difficulty level that actually made you approach missions more thoughtfully.

I'm still really enjoying the game in a lot of ways, but the core experience feels a little underwhelming.
  • flaagan
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey - how do you unlock the extra jumping distance for vertical jumps?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm - Apparently you get it by visiting the thieves hide-out at your Villa?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Nope!
    Pretty sure you unlock it as part of one of the venice missions!
  • 00Zero
    best comment on that squid video:

"are you in an old timey newsroom? whats all the clicking?"
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Just beat it. I was expecting a twist, but none as crazy as that. Would have loved more "outside the Animus" gameplay, but I guess they're leaving that for a sequel.

Time to go back, find the feathers, and do all the other random little things still left to do (like see the squid!).

Quick question: on the achievements, it lists "throw sand in X number of guards faces". How exactly do you throw sand in their faces?

Also, I appear to be missing one of the heavy melee weapons from my collection, any idea how that slipped by?
  • 00Zero
    i accidentally managed to throw sand at a guard, but it was during a cagematch sort of thing. i think i was mashing X. or square on playstation
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flooj you should do the combat training @ your villa, it unlocks things (like throwing sand).
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Hey flaag, if you mean your 21/22 weapons, it's because there is a hammer you get for collecting 50 feathers. I was running all around trying to figure out what I missed, and ended up getting it when I was dropping some feathers off =P
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I just did the mission where
    you do the games at the carnival, get the mask, kill the dude, escape.
    I think I've done 1 or 2 more missions after that from the brothel.

How close am I to the finish of the story?

By the way,
    Ezio looked BADASS in that gold mask. I wish I could wear it permanently!
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, good to know about the training and the weapon. I'm gonna try and get all the achievements for this game, though I imagine the feathers thing will be a christmas break thing.

Adam, agreed about that item. Also, you're closing in on the end. I'd say it'd probably take me one evening to finish the game from where you're at, but that's just nonstop story-only playing.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I just finished it...

...pretty sure its my GOTY for 2009. I loved it. There were times I got super frustrated with it (mainly dying from the jump detection being finicky at parts) but otherwise it was an awesome experience.

LOVED:

• His outfits and their upgrades. The details were so badass.
      When you get Altair's armor, mixed with Ezio's era of style, hooooooooly fuck that was awesome!
    • The environments. Florence and Venice were so great. Just... so, SO great. I wish your Villa went from a Tuscany to a Venice feel (run-down to high-city) but it was cool either way. Not to mention the -entire- last hour of the game, just before
      returning to the modern setting
      . Oof, they nailed it.
    • All the shit you can do! God damn, not only did it improve on the original AC but it adds to the world and how immersed you can get in to it.
    • Disarming. *evil fucking grin*
    • Oh ya...
      poor Ezio :(
  • Snipergen
    My god there is no end to this game. MUST FINISH IT TONIGHT.
    Lol at that squid btw! Does it have any function?
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    started game yesterday. can't stop playing it.

i love it. that is all.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, agreed on that last point.
    All that hard work, and the poor guy is just a messenger for the future. "This message isn't for you, just STFU and listen."

Also, gotta say, I loved the
    'dream sequence' where Altair continues his bloodline.
    :poly121:

One thing bugged me was
    how devoid of missions the area of Forli was, especially with that whole "save the gal" mission.
  • Snipergen
    There I'm trough it.
    Damn the end was amazing. Poor Ezio though indeed. Sooo my guess is that next Assassins Creed will be in Egypt with Desmond and only a few parts in the Animus 3.0 to play with an egyptian assassin :)

One thing that was a bit lame was the scaffolding in Rome just before you kill the pope (forgot his name already) just above him, a perfect path, and than you instakill him with your blades like every other motherfucker in the neck but because it's the goddamn pope he survives that so he can blow you away with his staff? I mean it was cool and all but still... hmmm
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still playing my way through a bit at a time and I have to say I'm really enjoying all of the missions in Venice. It seems like there's much more variety and the guards seem a bit more tenacious (maybe because there are more restricted areas). The addition of boats and swimming adds quite a lot as well (although it's annoying when you have a bunch of thieves following and they all fall in the water and instantly die...). Killing archers and throwing their bodies of the roof to distract soldiers is great fun too! Not sure how much of the story I have left, but there's still tons of peripheral missions to try.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Loving this, loved the 1st also but this is better, i love the secret assassin's tomb missions most, its the best mix of Tomb Raider / Indy / Puzzle & action dynamic balance I have seen yet and I'm a sucker for historical stuff, its such a breath of fresh air in amongst all the moronic designers out there with nothing to say because they know nothing about the world.

Though I have to wonder why they started so poorly and in such a jarring fashion and I dislike the recent trend of games lead characters being such unlikeable dicks that I don't really want to see them do well heh
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Snipergen - actually, rumor has it that the next Assassin's Creed will be set in either WWI or II, with the ancestor being a female assassin... Desmond's grandmother perhaps? It would be rather amusing to see Desmond connect with living family members.
  • Snipergen
    Oh god not a stupid world war again >_>
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that the French Revolution/industrial revolution era would be an awesome setting for the third game. Tons of interesting stuff going on historically and decadent Paris and foggy, smoky London would make great environments I think. I said 2 years ago that Renaissance-era Venice would be a cool place to set the second one so let's hope Ubisoft heed my sage-like advice yet again(!).
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking that the French Revolution/industrial revolution era would be an awesome setting for the third game. Tons of interesting stuff going on historically and decadent Paris and foggy, smoky London would make great environments I think. I said 2 years ago that Renaissance-era Venice would be a cool place to set the second one so let's hope Ubisoft heed my sage-like advice yet again(!).

Now thaaaattttt sounds like a sick idea Nick!
  • mLichy
    I've heard things about maybe it being in Japan or China or something, but idk... doesn't seem like it would go that way....