Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Obsolete Robot

Hey all,

Just wanted to get feedback/ ideas for a little on the side project im doing at the moment.

Here is where the idea started, http://hackberryhollow.com/2009/09/15/robot-concept-art-1%E2%80%94wait-robots/

Hope the guy doesn't mind me using his concept slightly. I want to make this robot look "old"/ rusty, broken, unloved.

Alot of it will be in texturing, scratches, dents, burn marks, dripping oil etc.

So here is the High Poly so far (and some close ups). Still working on bits here and there to break up symmetry, and then onto the Low. :)

WIP_07.jpg

WIP_08.jpg

WIP_09.jpg

WIP_10.jpg
Hope you all like, im about 3 days into this so any feed back is welcome.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice, love the idea :)
    I think you could go a bit further with bits that have got damaged or lost and replaced with home made pieces.. maybe a shoulder pad, the hand pad.
    this is a bit extreme, but I love the shoulder repair on this guy : http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/sequester.html
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    like the idea of the coat hanger antenna like rooster said i think you should run with elements like that a little more, how about adding some stickers as well manufactures always slap that shit on, and also maybe an on/off switch somewhere.

also the central spine area you have a coil maybe add a few more loops to it so its more visible.

If the arms were a tad shorter it would give the impression they can tuck into the main body.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the style. but the actual design is awol
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. Its actually instantly more memorable of a design than lots of Overly teched out robot designs that are "skill impressive".

Things I noticed and thought about immediately.

1. Simple smooth Body
    2. Complemented with the use of wire dangling all over the place which is interesting to look at.
    3. Accented with a recognizable coat hangar contrasting the future look while not over doing it.

Only area I would put more attention into is the Lens. You have an opportunity to make that really cool and deep like a camera lens. If it remains just a shield with some spec, I think it looses potential as a good focal point.

743camera_lens.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Thanks for all the feed back! Its great for me when doing portfolio art.

rooster: thanks man! yes thats a cool pic! Would love to do some stuff like that! i'm making a Frying Pan as a shoulder pad, so i'll post that up when i get home and let you guys have a look.

kendo: Thanks man, yea i might be able to make the arms abit shorter, i'll give it ago

dv8ix: LOL yeah its is pretty funky!

swampbug: Thanks heaps man! nice comment, yes, i'll definatly add the Lens, will look SICK!!! and yeah i hope the frying pan doesnt over do it at all but we will see. Thanks again man!

I'll get up an update tonight, in a few hours, and hopefully you guys will like it.
  • janice walton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janice walton polycounter lvl 17
    Gah! You ruined it! haha

It's very interesting to see what someone else did with the concept with no context or background behind the design. You should have asked though, I could have sent you a more recent and detailed version of it:

robot.jpg

Hackberry Hollow is a collaborative project by four artists. So far all we have is concept art for it, posted weekly to the blog linked above, but once released (should be fairly soon) we're hoping to experiment with just what is actually possible with web comics as a medium for storytelling.

My guess is you found this through Google and simply lifted the design. Since this is a portfolio piece, that's perfectly fine, we don't care. If you want to push the "old and loved" look you may consider adding some cosmetic damage, such as tears in the hands revealing moving parts underneath and cover him in smudges and fingerprints. :)

By the way, the registration system on this forum doesn't work. Since I was not able to create a new account I just used one from bugmenot. I have no clue who Janice Walton is. I figured someone would want to know.

Have fun!
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hello! How cool having the original artist post! lol i knew i should have asked!!! damm oh well. Thanks for taking the time to post :) i hope i can still do your art justice.

As promised here is an update, let me kno what you all think?? too much or over the top???

WIP_11.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Go Rob! A lot cooler already than last time I saw it. The frying pan is a really nice touch, I'd just make the pan borders higher, it looks like a really low pan right now.

Why not think about some heavy damage to all that smooth casing? Like a part cracked or broken off, some busted corners, etc...

Lowpoly's going to be tough on this one with all the wires and tape, can't say I envy you :p
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Drawn concept is better than the models design
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I really like it, keep going :)
    I don't think those 2 bits of tape would make a very long term fix for the pan tho, it's weight seems too much. if it was me fixing the robot I'd use half a roll of duct tape on it :P
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    rooster wrote: »
    I really like it, keep going :)

...if it was me fixing the robot I'd use half a roll of duct tape on it :P

^ This.

It's a cool adaptation though. The original concept is neat to give you an idea, but you're really running through a lot with it, making it your own. And that is to be commended. This thing should be really cool when its textured.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I love most of it, but I don't like the hands. You need something more mechanical less human that flows better with the roundness of the rest of him..
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome. But yeah make the hands more mechanical
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I actually quite like the hands. Perhaps segment the palm a little bit into a front and back half, white as the rest of him - leave the fingers as they are. You could also consider losing a finger or two, and either have them simply a hanging wire or replace them with...I don't know...a fork, or something.

That could be kind of cool, yes?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I don't mind the ratio of ghetto parts to techbits, but the hands really pull me out of the design. Everything else feels so smooth and high design, and they fall kind of flat in comparison.
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! thanks for all the responses guys!

Xoliul: Thanks mate! Yes i'll be "smashing" the smooth body in zbrush or just in max with soft select like i have tried below as a test :)
    WIP_12.jpg
    Looks cool! will be good to have some deepish scratches as well.

rooster: yeah good point, i added some more tape, it will look alot better once textured, it will look tighter and more stable

Two Listen: thanks mate, really. Lots of fun to "design" stuff here and there. Cant wait to texture it myself

Thegodzero: Yes im updated the hands abit, i think this is far as i will take them.

Harry: Thanks thanks thanks thanks! lol

Two Listen: Good ideas! i tried the fork, but it didnt fit for my own personal taste, but it was totally worth a try!

poopinmymouth: Ghetto parts! ha! Hopefully these hands are better. other wise i'll have to re make them with some different design. Happy to have you postng on my work :) love your stuff!

Here are the pics! Might have to work on the foot more, but i believe i'll start the low poly very soon! (the little green things are gonna be wires like this:http://pix.crutchfield.com/kb/solder1.jpg but abit frayed and stuff
    Thanks So much guys! really appreciate the Comments!
    WIP_13.jpgWIP_14.jpg
  • Thegodzero
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man!
    I might give this one a go, http://tevami.com/gallery/honda_asimo.jpg

Hopefully it will turn out well, will update again soon, in the mean time, ive been thinking about some colour schemes, I want to go with the Green in that above concepts, with yellow and white accents. I dont really want to go basic white and black..... seem boring to me.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    I enjoy this robo but i think it needs more Robo%20-%20Tarzan%20(Front).gif
    and a cracked lens!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    ooo a cracked lense would be insane
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice robot :) I don't know why but he reminds me Clatrop from Borderland. Maybe I just sense his crazy junky character :D
    In any case have a look on this robot hand (Shadow Project), it has realy nice looking fingers :)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Shadow_Hand_Bulb_large.jpg
    http://www.sfb588.uni-karlsruhe.de/textdateien/English%20Version/robots/media/305/shadow_hand2.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for all the comments! Gotta Get this thing done soon! so... i started with the Low Poly, Still doing it, and still have alot of polys to remove, but slowly getting there. Its all edge Looped so it REALLY easy to optimise.

Here is a pic! I'll get more done shortly! and then on to texturing :poly122:

WIP_15.jpg