Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Plasmid needle - high poly

When the class that I am in started we had to choose a game to base our projects off on, I picked bioshock.

Here is my high poly of the needle gun used in game. This is the first o at the high poly and I wanted to thank everyone in advance for any comments you are able to leave.

needlegun1.jpg

needlegun2.jpg

needlegun3.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start. I'd probably make those rivets a bit more interesting than simple spheres though - maybe flat-topped or hexagonal. Right now they look too primitive.

Also some extra, thin inset lines here and there to add detail and imply the construction method a bit more would be nice.
  • DnS
  • Goat Justice
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Cool start man. I circled a few things you might want to look at.

4124029386_6f30cc8016.jpg

Purple: The in game prop has some pretty hard corners on the hand guard. It looks like you started to make them, but ended up with just some bumpy facets. I'd suggest either really defining them or switching to a smoothly curved guard.

Yellow: some edges esp. around the cap of the cylinder look a bit soft.

Green: Are the hard edges on the side of this cylinder intentional? If so really commit and define them some more. they don't need to be razor sharp, but right now they're in a kinda in-between place that makes them look like a possible mistake.
  • Legolizard
    Wow thanks guys.

These are actually some very helpful and precise comments. Hopefully I will have some more up as soon as possible for some more critique.

Thanks again.
  • Legolizard
    Here is the high poly model with some of the changes you guys recommended.

Thanks again for all the comments :D

needlehighpoly2nd.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    ew... i hate the screws. they look like jewels or something.
    here, use this for the heads: http://zoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/screw-head-classifications.jpg
  • Legolizard
    Ok so after 2 straight hours or so of work I have some things to show.

First is my model in unreal with a light map. I know bottle is not done yet but I was hoping someone had any ideas on the best way to approach it. Just make it glow. Attempt a painted or other texture. Or a different unreal option I have no idea existed.

needlegunfinal.jpg

Second the texture used with an ao attached

needletexture.jpg

and low poly wire frame for your critique. You guys have been really awesome with the comments and I hope to see your further comments :D

needlewireframelowpoly.jpg

(Ps. to the last poster. That is an awesome list but I did not see it by the time I started working on the low poly over items. But that list is great.)
  • achillesian
    solid color and glow map? OR you could make it 2 objects and give the glowy part one of the cool green gooey mats from udk

im not sure how that would work, or if it would need to be 2 objects
  • jacob07777
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I'd definitely say go for making it two objects so you can really get that feeling of liquid inside of there. Just make another cylinder inside of that one, slightly smaller and with some curve on the top of it to look like that liquid is sloshing around. Ohhh try and get some small spheres in there for little bubbles and stuff too, that'd be pretty sweet.

The tip of that needle is getting quite a bit of stretching with your UV's though, so watch out for that.