Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    hmm..this is odd...

codmw2m20091113232214.jpg
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    5h:59m and worth every penny, tops the first campaign in terms of climactic epicness, hands down.

Edit:
    Played on 'Hardened' dificulty.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quote from roughly 5 min ago:

Random Guy: Hey guys there is someone trying to flank you...
    Me: Ok I'm going to... ohhh texture seam....

Death...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got to finish it... Infinity Ward knows how to keep you at the edge of your seat. I'm glad I bought it. The Action was intense!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    one thing i didn't get in the story:
    why did shepard kill ghost and roach? and why did price send the nuke to america? and what happened to the main russian terrorist?

i really wasent paying attention half the time cause of all the pretty explosion :P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    5hours on hardended... I was recently replaying through cod4 to refresh myself and having played Modern warfare 2 its really nice to see how much less theyve used the "constant spawning till you reach x" mechanic. There were a few times that it was annoying... mainly the smoke area on the oil rig and a couple near the final mission, but all in all it was really tight!

I doubt ill play it through on veteran... ever - cheap hardmodes are just dull, what with the hundreds of grenades and instant deaths when you walk into a new area. That and i dont like playing patiently!

Alas, back to the multiplayer! Almost rank 63!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    ae. wrote: »
    one thing i didn't get in the story:
    why did shepard kill ghost and roach? and why did price send the nuke to america? and what happened to the main russian terrorist?

i really wasent paying attention half the time cause of all the pretty explosion :P

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=15099
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    t4paN wrote: »

thanks man so many plot holes!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    oh so thats why price did what he did. That moment made me think price was being the traitor at that time -.-
  • Ark
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    Yozora wrote: »
    oh so thats why price did what he did. That moment made me think price was being the traitor at that time -.-

what the hell is this guy, the new polycount meme? :D!

you do have to do a bit more thinking than the first game to link the plot together which is why I think as a narrative, it doesn't flow as well as the first game. They didn't drop enough breadcrumbs for a lot of people to put the story together, namely the nuke and to an extent the whole airport mission.

The biggest plothole was price, and that could've really been solved with a line or two of dialog.

You can also think of the standpoint from the rest of the world about the nuke. If you were general public, you just saw russia launch a nuke at the states. This could be a pretty big equalizing factor of the popular opinion of what was right and wrong, what was enough justification and what was not.

I just hope with the feedback that IW will go back and finish the story up properly and fill in the gaps, the pacing was just far too fast in this game, which really conflicted with the storytelling. If they slowed it down a bit in the right moments, they would've left the player some breathing room, and had time to justify a bit of what just happened in the story.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    sir-knight wrote: »

what the hell is this guy, the new polycount meme? :D!

Resistance is futile

Havent played MW2 yet.. I have vowed to not play this game till I have upgraded my rig which is due at the end of the month.. but I dont think I can last that long....
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    8 hours and 45 mins on 'Hardened'
    An amazing experience, challenging and fun at the same time. Was blown away by their animations, fx, and cinematics. This is also one of those games with a big, epic score, where I truly noticed the music, and it increased the intensity, much like a big-budget action movie.

3 hours in multiplayer got me to level 12, had absolutely no problems, not sure what all the bitching was about. I had the same connection speed and easy transition from match-to-match as COD4.

Applause to any IW devs on (or lurking) the forum! Congratulations!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    12156_174431786034_595876034_3598192_2147024_n.jpg

This reminds me...
    Is it just me or was the use of the night vision goggles in single player INCREDIBLY poor? The game seems to have this whole nvg theme with the title and what not, but i swear i used those goggles for literally 10 seconds out of the entire game, just stepping through a dark hallway in the prison level, then its never used again.

I haven't played multiplayer yet, maybe theres more use of it in that.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow... That kid seriously needs to get some Psych eval going on in his life. First off, to play that game for 17 hours straight... Yeesh... Then to claim it sucks? If it sucks, why play that long? And the wall punching?? Oi... Somebody needs a hug. Anyone got a noob tube??

MW2 is fricken great btw. Loving the multiplayer and spec ops modes!!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Ark wrote: »

Oh man, hopefully there'll be some tactical servers set up. With lean, thanks very much.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dear, hackers in their magical new non-dedicated servers wonderland?
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luke wrote: »
    The rise in the amount of hackers on mw2 MP is starting to get annoying. I notice more and more everyday. and no I'm not raging at people killing me :D easy to tell in kill cams

Can anyone else confirm this?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    So how about that call of duty monthly cost-idea-thing eh?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    So how about that call of duty monthly cost-idea-thing eh?

There's no hacking in the x360 version that i've encountered... :poly124:
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So far ive seen about .... 5-10 people who have hacked Prestige/ranks. And 2 aimbotters... and this is from someone whos got about 48hours played.

Cheating isnt rife yet and hopefully with the game using VAC it'll require them to buy a new game, which should be somewhat of a deterant. (not sure if punkbuster banned CDkeys).

To compare hackers on PC > Console seems a bit stupid as the overall % of players who would know how ... to me, would be less. There will be people who can and will but when youre peaking 1million players the overall chance of bumping into them will be far lower.

Oh well, thank fuck we have a kick vote right?

...wait.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    SupRore wrote: »
    There's no hacking in the x360 version that i've encountered... :poly124:
    http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/104/1044979p1.html

Mostly rumors though.

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added. "I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

Tippl added there is a demand from its core fanbase willing to pay for additional services and content.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," Tipple explained. "
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    So far ive seen about .... 5-10 people who have hacked Prestige/ranks. And 2 aimbotters... and this is from someone who's got about 48hours played.

One of the pro's to using a p2p system is that - if the devs put the right measures in place - hacking is impossible. Apart from GPU driver hacks. Because each client is checked against all of the other clients, and if one's game files are different or modified in anyway, the player is detected and kicked.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I give it a 7/10-- big step down from COD 4. It would have been nice to have some modern warfare in my modern warfare game, instead of WW2 tactics with modern weapons.
    Did anyone else get the impression that Price was acting like Soap's dad or something? It was kind of embarrassing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I give it a 7/10-- big step down from COD 4. It would have been nice to have some modern warfare in my modern warfare game, instead of WW2 tactics with modern weapons.
    Did anyone else get the impression that Price was acting like Soap's dad or something? It was kind of embarrassing.

Explain yo'self.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Explain yo'self.

To be fair there are a few missions that are cool. the first few I think fit the theme. Here are some missions that I think would have been cool too.

-Spot roadside bombs / plant & disguise roadside bombs
    -Find weapon caches + firefight (emphasis on determining combatants from civilians)
    -help stage a military coup in a 3rd world country
    -contain a biological terror attack (by killing everyone affected)
    -cyber warfare (maybe selecting keywords for spam emails or listening for keywords on tapped communication)
    -UN peacekeeping mission/"win hearts and minds" (maybe you have to throw food packets from a truck to the people that seem to need them)
    -man a checkpoint and help injured people after a suicide attack / deliver a suicide bomb
    -contain a riot using less lethal weapons (microwave guns, etc)
    -torture someone for info
    -make an execution video

Real modern warfare is usually characterized by small guerrilla forces that use cheap tech and don't wear uniforms. Large groups of uniformed soldiers and tanks fighting each other hasn't really happened since the Korean war (with the exception of the first few hours of Gulf War 1).

But you are probably saying "Sure, but I just wanted to have fun! It doesn't really have to be realistic", and I would agree, but I still think it is not even in the spirit of MW1. Also, it was not as fun. I spent most of my time loading from a quicksave and then dying 3 seconds later after being shot from every direction. I won the last major firefight by huddling in a corner under my ballistic shield while my AI buddy killed everyone for me-- it was more fun than loading and dying over and over.
    The story was dumb. Also almost all Russian aircraft, including Hinds, don't need their electronics to fly.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with you Ninjas, those are some really interesting ideas that they *could* have used to portray modern warfare, but all of them skipped, just for 'quickly get to the chopper in the nick of time' moments, which is pretty much how every level ends. :(

I was quite disappointed with how the combat style changes so mindlessly on some levels. Like when you start with the silenced rifles, kill about two patrols quietly and suddenly the rest of the level is a firefight. The Chernobyl level in the first one was an absolutely brilliant experience, and kept it's 'mood' throughout the entire level.

I don't think it's a bad game, i think it's fantastic, but like all things it could be alot better. :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone else kinda wish they could just stick to one character and pace it with cutscenes to explain the plot instead of "briefing missions?" I mean..I know COD was usually about explaining Plot via briefings..but I'd be okay with a more paced cinematic style COD. I love the games either way though.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    To be fair there are a few missions that are cool. the first few I think fit the theme. Here are some missions that I think would have been cool too.

-Spot roadside bombs / plant & disguise roadside bombs
    -Find weapon caches + firefight (emphasis on determining combatants from civilians)
    -help stage a military coup in a 3rd world country
    -contain a biological terror attack (by killing everyone affected)
    -cyber warfare (maybe selecting keywords for spam emails or listening for keywords on tapped communication)
    -UN peacekeeping mission/"win hearts and minds" (maybe you have to throw food packets from a truck to the people that seem to need them)
    -man a checkpoint and help injured people after a suicide attack / deliver a suicide bomb
    -contain a riot using less lethal weapons (microwave guns, etc)
    -torture someone for info
    -make an execution video

Real modern warfare is usually characterized by small guerrilla forces that use cheap tech and don't wear uniforms. Large groups of uniformed soldiers and tanks fighting each other hasn't really happened since the Korean war (with the exception of the first few hours of Gulf War 1).

But you are probably saying "Sure, but I just wanted to have fun! It doesn't really have to be realistic", and I would agree, but I still think it is not even in the spirit of MW1. Also, it was not as fun. I spent most of my time loading from a quicksave and then dying 3 seconds later after being shot from every direction. I won the last major firefight by huddling in a corner under my ballistic shield while my AI buddy killed everyone for me-- it was more fun than loading and dying over and over.
    The story was dumb. Also almost all Russian aircraft, including Hinds, don't need their electronics to fly.

Havent played the game as yet but some of the scenarios listed would be awesome. Thing is as awesome as MW1 and 2 are its still a mass market game and that means simplified and pretty in terms of gameplay complexity. With all the hoo haa that the airport scene has created some of the above would cause consternation and outrage from the easily provoked media. But damn that would be awesome.. torture a captive for info ! Have you played ARMA II ? Thats much more realistic in terms of mission objectives.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    MW is based off conventional warfare, not guerrilla warfare, which is what afghanistan and iraq have turned themselves into. The missions are still based off of mass maneuver warfare, which still exists if 2 real armies meet. You can't really call the taliban or insurgency an organized conventional army.

peacekeeping missions would be hilarious though. You are given 100 rounds of ammunition, surrounded and grossly outnumbered by hostile forces and not allowed to fire until you are fired on.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I really enjoyed most of the SP, but...

I was thoroughly confused half the time. Why the hell was America attacked? Sheperd staged it to get fill the ranks up after losing a few hundred when the nuke went off in the last one? WTF? I'm completely lost. It can't be because of Makarov's actions surely... and there was no plot developments between the two incidents, no news reports in the cut scenes, no build up. All of a sudden the whole eastern seaboard was on fire and ruskies were 'shutting down. The missions felt really disjointed, there was too much hoping around. I thought because of that the game was going to come to some amazing conclusion with a great twist but it didn't. I swear that up to the end I was convinced the game was all based in a 'VR simulator' or something like that lol. Everything was just so far out there, and for no tangible reason. Really enjoyed the great bits though, of which there were loads. It wasn't too short either.

Still haven't played MP, but am looking forward to it :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    MW is based off conventional warfare, not guerrilla warfare, which is what afghanistan and iraq have turned themselves into. The missions are still based off of mass maneuver warfare, which still exists if 2 real armies meet. You can't really call the taliban or insurgency an organized conventional army.

There's no such thing as modern conventional warfare.

Between television cameras, tactical nukes, cellphones, gps, and the ridiculous range and accuracy of modern conventional weapons and vehicles, there's no real logical scenario in which two modernized armies would clash ww2 style.

That said, ninjas, it's a game. A game with a really particularly silly plot, at that. Price was in the gulag the whole time! I don't think there's any need to nitpick the implausibility of their scenario, they seemed to know that good and well.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    They need to get Michael Bay on the movie script ASAP! >;D
  • [Deleted User]
    I was thoroughly confused half the time. Why the hell was America attacked?
    Russian ultranationalists took over at the end of the first one - an American CIA agent's body was found as one of the perpetrators of a terrorist attack on a moscow airport - they consider that an act of war
    I thought because of that the game was going to come to some amazing conclusion with a great twist but it didn't.
    Agreed about the lack of conclusive ending. They stopped about 3/4 through the story
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    They need to get Michael Bay on the movie script ASAP! >;D

Funny you should say that, if I had to sum up the difference between MW1 and 2, it would be that the script feels like it was written by Bay. i.e. there is no regard for how the world actually works, shit just gets real.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Russian ultranationalists took over at the end of the first one - an American CIA agent's body was found as one of the perpetrators of a terrorist attack on a moscow airport - they consider that an act of war

Agreed about the lack of conclusive ending. They stopped about 3/4 through the story
    Oh its not like I didn't like the ending, I felt fulfilled by it, bring on MW3, it's just there was no twist as such...and how did the ultra nationalists take over...we killed most of em last time lol...it just feels unconvicing. When I look back on the story of the first one, it feels less like a dumb american movie.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh its not like I didn't like the ending, I felt fulfilled by it, bring on MW3, it's just there was no twist as such...and how did the ultra nationalists take over...we killed most of em last time lol...it just feels unconvicing. When I look back on the story of the first one, it feels less like a dumb american movie.

agreed, totally. This game was spectacular, but while mw1 had a legitimately intelligent, well paced war thriller plot, this was just GUNS, SNOWMOBILE CHASES HELL YEAH
  • [Deleted User]
    The thing that bugs me with the ending is Makarov. It's essentially a cliffhanger because you know the next game will be "let's go kill Makarov," but that's what this game was set up as. Especially with the airport mission, for which there is now no consequence for him
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I loved the set pieces, they just weren't strung together by any coherent storytelling...the writers probably changed from the first one. Hope they bring em back for 3.

Oh and Kaskad that reminds me...Makarov is so underdeveloped its ridiculous. In one minute, out the next.

I would really love to know what the writers were thinking with this one...a few FMV's while the game was loading could have really saved the story...
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    More about MW 2 multiplayer:

If you are the host its like cheating, steam voice has roughly .70 sec if ur sitting next room to eachoter.(same line out)

when its laggy and you still have 5or 4 out of 5 bars you can play and experience one thing and then look at the kill cam to see what really happened and the two are not even close to eachother. when you have 5/5 bars you can really have over 100 ping... which kind of makes the bars pointless, there is a way to make them more accurate and have 10 but yeah whatever.

The scar with extended mags is probably the best rifle in the game,that and the Benelli 1014 with scavenger, stopping power, and Ninja perk is my default load out. altough I just got the 1887 and dualwielding that u reload like Arnold. :)

My killstreak is predator missile, get two kills with that i get a harrier, get 3 more kills with that im chopper gunner. im in my heli + - every second game.

This game is awesome playing with a bunch of friends, altough there are always minor hickups when having a larger party. Its faster to find a game the less people you are.

When im not playing with friends im in a team with brainless zombies and the opposition is usually decent (goes to points/objectives). this is intresting... when my friend that i usually play with goes solo he gets super easy opposition, and this has been the last of our 5 solo games when we discovered this pattern.

I hate that you cant change team even though its 6 versus 2 + you dont have the option to start a votekick.

ooh and i suggest if you are having a hard time play with the noobtube and scavenger perk for endless of thump bullets and grenades. in demolition which is a fun bomb mode, use the insertion, drop it attack/ learn what the other team is doing, respawn. (just make sure you hide it out of sight). in capture the flag its great to have a minigun, put its far back against a wall. (one knife stab will kill it instantly)
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    It does lag abit yeah. The biggest problems i have had so far has not been the lag but trying to play with friends. Inviteing/joining friends etc seems buggy.

Personally i really like the AUG HBAR with grip and holographic sight. I also like the ACR with holo, going for FMJ with that one now.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the fuck? I got a problem apparently, steam is saying theres a problem with my local game file game files and that they'll have to be reacquired from the steam servers. Cept it doesnt, it just repeats the warning...for single and multiplayer, and wont launch. But liek, its a story bought copy, not even a dodgy one, so I dunno what problems could be arising. I was playing online today and the controls started going screwy, thought it was lag, maybe not?

Anyone else having issues?
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    I feel as if the online gameplay isn't the same anymore I'm getting really bored quickly because I'll play a objective game like headquarters and everybody just leaves it, finds a nice cosy spot and camps.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    PS3 invite system for both spec-ops and multilayer is horrible, they should have done it Uncharted 2 style instead of having to use the PS3 cross media bar
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I won it in a company raffle and I thoroughly enjoyed it ;)

I liked all the sniping and wished there were more bomb dropping missions. Overall it was a bit short.

I'm still against the overpriced xbox peripherals so it might be a while before I ever try the multiplayer.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    What the fuck? I got a problem apparently, steam is saying theres a problem with my local game file game files and that they'll have to be reacquired from the steam servers. Cept it doesnt, it just repeats the warning...for single and multiplayer, and wont launch. But liek, its a story bought copy, not even a dodgy one, so I dunno what problems could be arising. I was playing online today and the controls started going screwy, thought it was lag, maybe not?

Anyone else having issues?

yeah, i got a 100% crash on trying to select a game mode ... kept trying to update some files on each launch from steam, and obviously kept failing. I left it for a day or so though, came back, updated successfully and it was fine after.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of disturbing ... The kid has problems.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgn2jugK_Hk[/ame]