Home General Discussion

Modern Warfare 2

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
I think this deserves it's own thread as the games now released.

Spent all day playing through the campaign, i didn't think they could raise the bar after COD 4, but i was wrong. Loved every minute of it. There's loads of little set pieces that happen in first person view, like grabbing the controls of a truck when a driver is shot, and the climbing up the moutain with axes. Stuff like this adds a lot to the game imho.

The choice of weapons is great, even thought i was Arnie in Terminator at one point when i got my hands of a lever-action shottie. The Tavor as got to be my favorite weapon in the game though!

Graphics look great, theres a few places that have some blurry textures, but on a whole, it's top notch.
I especially like the face models and textures, although alot of the weapons are really well done.
I see they re-wrote the renderer, no more lightmaps from the looks of it, all dynamic.

Facial animations are nice, apart from the odd snap in morphs.
Loved the battle at the end with the knife.

The museum is a nice piece at the end for us artists to look at the models up close!

Had an issue with the thermal scopes, every time i look through them, it turns the game to a slide-show.

Probably GOTY for me, just gotta try the multiplayer and special-ops mode.

I also noticed there was a soldier called Zero, is that a coincidence with our fellow PC member 00Zero?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You beat it already? :o

I'm trading in a bunch of games to get some credit towards it, but I probably still have to wait until next month to pick it up. :(
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I went in to pick up my copy of the PC version today, but they hadn't arrived. :/ Hopefully tonight! Fingers crossed!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it's pretty short again then is it?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    do want, but gotta work on dat folio :(

last thing i need is another distraction... Uncharted has eaten more than enough of my time already.

glad to hear it rocks though :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't been counting the minutes until release like some, but a game that costs this much to offer between five and six hours of single-layer campaign game play is pretty disappointing. Even if it's great fun and looks incredible, that's a major let down.

'Hey, here's a game for $60, with six whole hours of single-player campaign, with no dedicated multiplayer server support!'

Pass.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dan, you are lol. whatever dude.

I've been waiting for this game for a long ass time.. figures it comes out RIGHT before I leave for vacation tomorrow.. so I'm gonna hold off until I get back (in a month ;_;)

good to see everyone's impressions so far, it sounds stellar. I honestly think I'm most excited for Spec Ops mode though. I remember how fun the challenges were in Perfect Dark on n64, and this reminds me of that. plus, it's co op online and supposedly longer than the single player campaign. count me in... and that's not including multiplayer.

(cod4 360 worked fine without dedicated servers.. it's a non issue, for console players at least.) has there been any impressions of the PC's multiplayer yet? I don't 'agree' with not having dedicated servers on a platform such as PC but if everything is working fine I fail to see a problem. Keeps me from joining stupid fucking servers that make you download x number of sound packs and shit add ons.

9v9 however, I do have a beef with :( /will miss 24/32 player matches
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's pretty short like the first. It took me around 5 hours on Regular, id suggest you play at a higher difficulty if you want the awesomeness to last.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    best collectors edition I have ever owned! :)
    12156_174431786034_595876034_3598192_2147024_n.jpg
    NVG's are awesome!
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    I hear it doesn't come with batteries.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    bounchfx wrote: »
    dan, you are lol. whatever dude.

Why? Because if I were to buy MW2, I'd be more interested in the single-player campaign that seems to offer little in the way of value? Hey, if money weren't an issue and I didn't care what I spent, then sure - I'd definitely go for it. It looks gorgeous, and I'm sure it's fun. I really enjoyed the one day it took me to finish its predecessor.

However, I can't reconcile spending that much on one game where the one aspect of the game I'm interested in will be over so quickly - and I love shooters.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well money is no object to Lee3dee... shit, man

let me know if they work with one of your eyes closed, i may consider buying the prestige edition then... i don't know how those bitches work... so yeah.....
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    danshewan wrote: »
    Why? Because if I were to buy MW2, I'd be more interested in the single-player campaign that seems to offer little in the way of value? Hey, if money weren't an issue and I didn't care what I spent, then sure - I'd definitely go for it. It looks gorgeous, and I'm sure it's fun. I really enjoyed the one day it took me to finish its predecessor.

However, I can't reconcile spending that much on one game where the one aspect of the game I'm interested in will be over so quickly - and I love shooters.

sure, my bad. you mention 'no dedicated multiplayer support' as if you cared about multiplayer then, but if you don't, and don't plan on playing (what I hear is to be) a spectacular mode called 'Spec Ops', then yes, I'd be very hesitant to plop down full price on a short ass game. just wait a week, and buy it used, or borrow it from a friend.

it just made me laugh the way you put it because you act like the game isn't worth $60, which might be true on a case by case personal basis, but comparing it to 90% of the games out there I'm sure it's quite worth it. course I'm always basing this on the console versions! verdict is still out on the pc ones, thanks steam for delaying the game till thursday for people who pre ordered! lovely!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, what you're saying then is that the DEMO for Dawn of War 2 is longer than the entire single player campaign for modern warfare 2??
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Picked it up at midnight and played multiplayer for about 4 hours then a couple of singleplayer. My god the weapons look/sound awesome. tried a couple spec ops missions and I can see them becoming very addictive.

The no dedicated server thing never bugged me as I got it on console and Im happy to say their match making was smooth as silk so far. really, really good looking and polished game with tons of content. new multiplayer maps seem interesting and varied and there is a ton of them, like 16 I belive.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so, what you're saying then is that the DEMO for Dawn of War 2 is longer than the entire single player campaign for modern warfare 2??

uh? I beat the entirety of DoW2 in 8-9 hours. the demo was 40 minutes max.

good joke, though :P
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, the game has both a cooperative 2 player game mode and one of the best multiplayer suites of any shooter, yea, you get your money's worth unless you only want single player, which, imho is certain to be one of the rare games worth at least two play thru's. Do we really have to have this debate again?
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    someone had that nightvision today at work :D he said he could read with it in dark... i want that prestige edition but no money ;( and Borderlands eats much time
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Watched a few people play it today.

It does look fairly nice, although not exactly a big improvement over CoD4 (which already looked nice)... if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess. It's nowhere near as graphically impressive or imposing as games like Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2, but I guess it doesn't need to be - the visuals do what they need to do.

I was a bit confused though, watching someone playing MP on a desert map, I originally though it was a winter map because the sand was really bright and the bloom was so high all the ground was washing out to white, making it look like snow! In general the bloom seems a tad over-the-top on the few maps I saw.

The weapons are nicely modelled although some of the specular is a bit weird and all-over flat, it actually hides the detail in the diffuse and normal sometimes rather than popping it out, which I wasn't too impressed with.

Nice to see they've got some remakes of older maps in there, I saw one I recognized from CoD2.

Can't comment on the gameplay myself since I haven't played it, but a friend said that (contrary to what Ark said in the original post) the ice-axe climbing section was really boring and repetitive, and generally felt fairly pointless. I guess it just depends on opinion there.

I'm certainly going to wait for the price to drop, I'm not going to spend £35 for a Steam download when I just bought ArmA2 for £12 and L4D2 for £20, I just don't think the value is there right now.
    I think there are some supermarkets selling it for £26-30 but they're few and far between, and probably all sold out now anyway.

I really appreciate Infinity Ward's work, and I liked the singleplayer on CoD4 (although hated the multiplayer ... so slow and repetetive) so I'll wait till the price drops to play through the SP.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert wrote: »
    well money is no object to Lee3dee... shit, man

working overtime to pay for these ;) The NVG's are awesome! They are cheap compared to military ones that you could probably buy online, but the inside mechanics are the real thing, only the housing is plastic. So using them for tactical runs to the grocery store isn't recommended.

The field of vision is limited to a small view so it took me a while to get used to them walking around the house in the dark. It's a little taste of what real NVGs are like, having tried them when I used to work for the Marines. If you have the money, its worth getting imo, because its a great geek toy to have :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    uh? I beat the entirety of DoW2 in 8-9 hours. the demo was 40 minutes max.

good joke, though :P

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2? really? I don't play a whole lot of rts, but I can't be that bad... can I? I didn't die or nuthin... shit:(
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Coolshop have the PC version for £25, which is the cheapest i've seen it for anyone worried about the price.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    well, i've got it paid for , downloaded, and sat waiting to be "released" on my machine. I'm not sure i get this.
  • bounchfx
  • danr
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    It's a little taste of what real NVGs are like, having tried them when I used to work for the Marines. If you have the money, its worth getting imo, because its a great geek toy to have :)

I was a CH46 flight gunner in the Marines. I accidentally dropped a pair of NVG's which snapped off my flight helmet while over the desert here in California one time, and they sent the entire squadron looking for it. Couldn't ever find it.

Wonder if I can bring one of these here MW2 nvg's and turn it back in for old times sakes. LOL. Of course that was like 6 years ago.
  • MoP
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, i bet the steam forums are ablaze at this moment in time!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not really interested in the MP since it's been de-dedicatedised.

The SP, weighing in at 5-8 hours doesn't seem worth spending £35 on. So I'll be waiting for the price drop, too.

All of these points make me feel kind of deflated about the whole release :(

Also: Charlie Brooker - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/nov/09/modern-warfare-2-game-review
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so seriously... do they work with one eye closed? don't wanna blow my bonus money on something i can't even get a slight kick out of.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    to be honest I didn't feel the least bit 'guilty' for paying full price for Uncharted 2. sure, it was a 7-ish hour experience, but it was a better quality experience than 95% of the games I've played in the last 5 years - that's worth it to me. I know a majority of people feel that more hours played = more worth it, and if you don't like multiplayer then sure, it may not seem worthy of your cash.. this is kinda the feeling I'm getting in regards to MW2, is that it's a short experience, but it's going to blow me away. (not to mention i WILL be playing the shit out of the other modes.)

and the steam thing isn't just a little bit shit.. it's complete horse shit.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the Citizen Kane of repeatedly shooting people in the face.

is the delay for digital releases, or just steam? cause the conspiracy nut in me says the retailers had something to do with that.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I believe it's just for those whose bought through steam, as my retail copy that's linked to steam unlocked this morning.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Ya know, i was watching footage of the airport level this morning, and I couldn't help but think that its a little bit much. Yes, I know, it's just a game, plenty of games have you killing civilians, blah, blah,...but that seemed a wee bit tasteless. And considering the fire games are under, that just seems like throwing gas on a fire.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    danshewan wrote: »
    I haven't been counting the minutes until release like some, but a game that costs this much to offer between five and six hours of single-layer campaign game play is pretty disappointing. Even if it's great fun and looks incredible, that's a major let down.

'Hey, here's a game for $60, with six whole hours of single-player campaign, with no dedicated multiplayer server support!'

Pass.

Same here.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Polished.To.Buggery.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Ya know, i was watching footage of the airport level this morning, and I couldn't help but think that its a little bit much. Yes, I know, it's just a game, plenty of games have you killing civilians, blah, blah,...but that seemed a wee bit tasteless. And considering the fire games are under, that just seems like throwing gas on a fire.

Speaking of throwing gas on a fire, theres a scene in the game that involves some and that was more disturbing to me than the airport massacre part.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I'm mainly bying this for the singleplayer. Love the muliplayer, but Cod4 had the best FPS-singleplayer ever imho, and I like short games.5-10 hours is perfect for me. :)

no dedicated servers and no console is BOOOH though. But will still rock. ^^
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    On Xbox 360, most game modes don't allow you to be in party chat. WTF is up with that? I don't want to listen to 10 year olds screeming "I pwned you haxxor pr0n noobtron!!!!" They better patch that shit out.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    On Xbox 360, most game modes don't allow you to be in party chat. WTF is up with that? I don't want to listen to 10 year olds screeming "I pwned you haxxor pr0n noobtron!!!!" They better patch that shit out.

it's intentional... you can mute the 10 year olds just fine. or use a phone :P

i agree it's ehhhh, but it'll stop cheap asses (until they use the phone!)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Every time I see that special NVG collector's edition, I think of Step Brothers... still tempted to get it though :D
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I told myself last night that I wasn't going to go get it. I lasted 3 hours after I woke up. After watching the review below I just could resist.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-modern-warfare/58370
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I got a computer upgrade scheduled for the end of the month and wont be buying till then, the NVG edition seems like a damned tempting prospect..

damn you talbot I want the game now !!!
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone tried the code that came with the special editions that gets you Call of Duty 1 ? Wondering if it includes the United Offensive expansion pack....
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I`m a downright hater of contemporary set games... loved the SP of the first MW despite! Would really like to see Infinity Ward stretch their legs on something imaginative, but I`ll be picking this up second hand doubtless(a futile "Fuck you Kotick").
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Holy fuck I believe the multiplayer is better than the first MW!!!! Love my Vector and Glock 18! and hell first game its worth using shotguns in :) i need my 1887 :P. Level 25 on PC.
    the gun helicopter (controlled by the player) seems way overpowered for now, when one gets it they can rack up atleast 15 more kills...

the airplane is so awesome, the sounds in the game are the problably the best ive heard (all over)!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i purchased it, although I'm hoping to get better gaming out of this then Arma2 or Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising I was sorely pissed at both those games.

Also thinking about stop getting games on Steam because I can't return that shit, or trade it in when I feel like I've been raped... :D
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sigh... have to wait till Thursday to get it off Steam...
    But even though the campaign is short I've always gotten so much out of the multiplayer. Those always tend to be the main reason I get COD games. But without modded servers I'm curious if I can still get the same joy..cause I would always go to the realism servers or the tactical servers for a slower paced multiplayer game.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    WinterLord - So, how is IWNet? I'm guessing by your enthusiasm it works fairly well? Ive been holding out and playing around in Torchlight to see what the general consensus is! But i shall probably get it next week if all is well \o/
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Talbot wrote: »
    WOW! This game looks really nice.
    I haven't ever played a single Call of Duty game, maybe it's about time I started.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmmm. Well, just bought the game after finishing work. I felt like I had to buy it rather than that I actually wanted to. I do get caught up in the hype. Anyway, I also bought a few cans of beer too as tomorrow is remembrance day which is a holiday in Canada. Ironic that most kids will be blasting the shit out of each other online but hey GOOOOO Activision marketing!!!

The game itself is cool although it feels very much on rails, kinda like i'm just along for the ride. Not much time to explore the environment. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it. Oh and I've just done the airport massacre thingy. For some reason it was more disturbing watching a video of it online rather than taking part in it. I shot shitloads of people and didn't even get an achievement. BAH!!

The engine needs a serious lick of paint too although it won't stop some fanboys and journos proclaiming it to be the most photorealistic game ever.

Back to beers, quesadillas and shooting people in face.

Woot!