Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young Girl

Hello. Its been five or six years since the last time I did any sculpting/modeling. The last tool I used was Modo 101 so it feels like stepping out of a time machine.

Here is the start of my first character. I was hoping to get some initial feedback... I feel out of the loop. I was studying the Left 4 Dead 2 models and thought this would be a reasonable step up in mesh density for the following generation of game engines. That seems like a good target for a character modeling portfolio. I don't have much experience in the area. Thoughts?

20091110.jpg

Replies

• Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Tim,

Hard to really tell from this angel, but the back of her head appears to be really small.

Any chance you could post a front and side shot?
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yeah there's no back of the head yet. I wasn't sure how to tackle the area.

She has a thick head of hair, so I was thinking of constructing it purely out of hair planes. This would likely consist of an opaque base layer, with a lot of curly waves (alpha masked) covering the base. This may or may not be a good idea haha, it sounds like a nightmare to manage already.
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's from Let the right One In, am I right?
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that's right. It's a struggle to match the likeness. She has a strange looking face... cute kid but a weird facial structure. I haven't studied child/prepubescent anatomy before either so that's also becoming a hurdle.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get the hard stuff out of the way first. Still unsure about the hair, this is the second test run but I'm not loving it.

20091111.jpg
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    ya i remember her from the movie, very strange looking kid. can't say there is a likeness yet, but it's hard to say at this point. are you going to be sculpting this later?

i also laughed at jon rush back of head comment. pretty funny stuff
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh as it stands now is what the engine is rendering verbatim. I will also do an image-based sculpt to work some surface details into a normal map.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hay Tim.

I never thought I would see Eli in 3D good going :). As he/she stands at the moment I think the head could be a little taller from the hair line up. Also it is a hard call but I think the face might be a little too plump. I guess try to think "BOY" while you model "GIRL" hahaha what a weird expression. Either way Eli is looking awesome and I am keen to see this one through to the end :)

Just a little extra ref

finster_Eli_BM_Life_724349g.jpg

Lina_Leandersson_4ac2b3619a896.jpg

Keep up the good work.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome film.

I agree about the hair line.
    Also she seems to have a little extra fat under her jawline, in the ref images she has a pretty prominent transition from her chin to neck.

I'm not sure if its the render but I think her eyes and lips could be a touch small compared to the images also, makes her look a year or 2 older.

Great progress though and a really cool subject. :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey tim, first off, sexy mesh, really awesome edge layout. as for crits, i think you could tighten up her under chin area a bit, right now im getting the slightest bit of "old" from that area, with the transition from jaw to neck. again nice modeling sir.

-Woog
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    wow, great start!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think you're doing a great job here and can already see the likeness shaping up. Get a body modeled STAT and start textures.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critiques, I agree.

I have quite a bit of reference, over 100 screenshots from the disc. I wonder if the film was shot over a long period, because she looks different between scenes. Sometimes her cheeks are chubby, sometimes not. I swear the size of her nose changes. Perhaps I should stick with a smaller set of reference.

20091112.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic start!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some people just have alot of different faces,
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's the lighting that makes her look really different and creepy. That movie was great. You better finish. :D
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    hehe, that chick does look kinda hard to match. You could try doing a quick sculpting pass and then try throwing some textures down, textures help add likeness a fair bit (photosourcing would prolly work well if you can find some similar ones :P)
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent some time reworking the topology. It was producing weird shading and deformation headaches, so that's resolved, plus it isn't as heavy. The eyelids are still a little weird at the moment, unsure if I want the eyes open or peering down. Still learning the software as I plod along, so progress isn't speedy.

I was experimenting with a couple different poses and outfits and settled on the jungle gym sequence. Those 80s pants are so amazingly ugly I love them.

20091115.jpg

20091114.jpg
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the lighting is the thing that changes everything. But yeah, good start :D. Never watched that movie...keep seeing it on Netflix.