Home General Discussion

Unity Indie 2.6 - FREE

Replies

• anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody else having trouble DLing it? I click the button and the page just reloads.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah just had a go at doing the platformer tut and its awesome stuff. Drag and drop mostly, well organised, cohesive and logical. The scripts for 3rd person cameras are so short, I could probably get my head around them. Never thought I would especially in other engines or building from scratch.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    [iWi] wrote: »

( Pitty that there's no next gen support (normal,height,spec).
    Am I wrong ?
    Maybe some "cartoon" rendering can works fine ? )

I've used all the above in a test scene a few months ago, so unless they've changed the indie license for this release i'd assume that still all works
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    I've used all the above in a test scene a few months ago, so unless they've changed the indie license for this release i'd assume that still all works
    Thanks , I'll look closer.
    oups :\:poly122: , feel ashamed.
  • [iWi]
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's me one more time ,
    sincere apologies,
    well, I've installed UNITY 3D and I've looked at official SDK documentation,
    (C:\ProgramFiles\Unity\Editor\Data\Documentation\Documentation\Components\class-Material.html),
    of course UNITY 3D works with next gen shaders diff, spec, bumpmapped.:poly142:
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    [iWi] wrote: »
    it's me one more time ,
    sincere apologies,
    well, I've installed UNITY 3D and I've looked at official SDK documentation,
    (C:ProgramFilesUnityEditorDataDocumentationDocumentationComponentsclass-Material.html),
    of course UNITY 3D works with next gen shaders diff, spec, bumpmapped.:poly142:

Yeah, the shaders aren't really constrained in Unity. Unity actually has quite a few advanced rendering features, despite the fact that it is generally seen as targeting lower-spec systems. The primary discrepencies between the free and for-pay versions of Unity are as follows...

1. No real-time shadows. This is the usual sticking point for most modders. Real time shadows are nice, there's no denying it. They really punch a game up a notch, visually. You can still have in-game shadows in the free version, they just aren't automatically generated, or as dynamic.

2. No render-from-camera. This isn't missed by most developers as much as real-time shadows. But it is also a very useful feature, and a lot can be done with it. It is one of the most common methods for rendering mirrors.

One of the primary reasons why most Unity developers tend to keep the specs for their games lower is because of Unity's extensive cross-platform support. When you are targeting so many different platforms, including a web browser plug-in, you need to keep your specs modest to insure solid performance. If you were planning on just making an XBox 360 game with Unity, you could probably bump up your polycounts and shaders a bit, and not worry about performance as much.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the shadows. You can still have shadows thought cant you? Like ones that just arent auto calculated.

So whatever way they do it for static shadows. Like bitmaps or whatever they use. Because I have in mind a small idea which involves shadows which move and loom in some manners.
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain -
    thank You for the details.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    About the shadows. You can still have shadows thought cant you? Like ones that just arent auto calculated.

Oh sure. The free version can still have shadows. For instance, it fully supports pre-baked shadow maps. And one of the tutorials they provide you with shows you how to implement "blob" shadows on animated characters. I'm not sure exactly how to implement "looming" shadows, but it can probably be done.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just at that bit funnily enough. I'm guessing if you can have some blob, stuck under a character then you can have other shaped blobs moving about all over the place. Or could you perhaps load a new pre baked shadow map whilst its running?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, just clicked that link showing hardware profiles and that is some really interesting stuff
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    the tutorial 'blob' shadow is just round a B&W gradient circle on an image that get projected on the ground, you could change it to whatever shape you wanted, and swap it out for other images when you feel like it