Home Technical Talk

3ds max select poly loop

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Im getting back to max after being in cinema 4d and silo for a while and I was wondering where is the select polygon loop function? it is grayed out when Im editing my object and that is really frustrating as I want to do multiple circular extrudes and keep having to select each poly manually. I assume Im missing something simple or some work around?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's been a while since I've done any hardcore modelling in 3dsmax, but I used to select an edge ring (my hotkey for that is R, not sure what the default is), then convert the result into polygons (CTRL+4, I think it's the default hotkey). That'll give you all the polys in a loop.

No idea if the releases newer than 2008 have a direct "poly loop select" function though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the reply mop hmm I cant seem to get that to work, I mean I got the ring of edges selected in edge mode then when I press CTRL+4 nothing happens
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I can remember CTRL+4 is a custom shortcut of yours MoP :)
    To conver a selection to poly with standard interface press CTRL and the Poly Button in Command Panel.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    To conver a selection to poly with standard interface press CTRL and the Poly Button in Command Panel.

YES! thats it thanks a lot now I can get on with making my bus wheel haha