Home General Discussion

Tattoos and piercings affect being hired?

Replies

• anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would it be odd for me to make a comment about salary potential and how tattoos/piercings might correlate? How is that odd?

The OP came asking for employment information and how personal choices might affect his career growth. I often see a lot of similar responses in similar threads to the effect of "It shouldn't/won't matter" or "You don't want to work at a place that is so strict," but I have never seen anyone address the pay ceiling issue and whether or not there is a correlation there.

Is correlation causation? Not necessarily. I merely shared my observation, and again, I am neither condoning nor condemning personal choices such as piercings and tattoos.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    There are plenty of senior and lead level people with tattoos and piercings.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    lol, What do you spect from a country of football and bulls?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've got 2 16g lip rings and a 16g lebre spike. Piercings and tats don't mean shit. I mean come on, have you SEEN people in the game industry? I've seen some high level leads with bright pink mohawks, some covered in tat sleeves and most everyone in extreme casual wear (flip flops, torn jean shorts, etc).

Unless you're a studio head or in the light of PR, it doesn't matter at all. You work is what matters.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Ive got stretched lobes, both arms sleeved and dress like i'm the Maltese Jay-Z but ive never run into problems at work because I work hard, speak well and act like a professional.... I always try to dress nice and grab a shave before going into a job interview though. I wouldn't trust a place where all the artists looked like a bunch of starch shirted lame-o's...I certainly wouldn't want to work there.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as we are stereotyping and generalizing.
    this argument is moot anyways, learn to speak chinese
    请不要拍,我不是一个邪恶的精神,在这里要吃掉你的婴儿。看到他们站出来,我的手臂上的照片说一个愚蠢的女人谁值超过相统一的自由,这导致了她的火热的死亡我的左脸颊屁股,哦,并期待在其他脸颊毛有趣的故事,我忘了这是那里!

Translation:
    "Please do not shoot, I am not a evil spirit here to take eat your babies. See they come out and the pictures on my arms tell a funny story about a foolish woman who values freedom over unity and it leads to her fiery death down on my left ass cheek, Oh and look Mao on the other cheek, I forgot that was there. See he dances!"
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Firebert wrote: »
    TheMadArtist: there's some serious game companies out this way, and i can see your point... but i'm curious though... do they bring in the clients for walkthroughs of the facility on a regular basis? if not, then it's more of a personal matter with the superiors... which is really no different than dress code ethics in the work environment... someone doing marketing or insurance calls sitting in a cubicle all day would still be asked to wear khaki's and a button down shirt 4 out of 5 days a week even though no one would see them except for their boss and co workers... it's all so silly imo but it can unfortunately be a real deal breaker for some people.

Yeah, we actually do have either higher up military folks or government folks as guests every few weeks that they give them tours of the facility and come check out what we're up to. My boss could care less but most of the powers-that-be are ex-military or law enforcement so they tend to be a tad on the conservative side.

What was great though was when we were told to dress in slacks and dress shirts for an admiral of the navy that was coming to tour the place, and he shows up in an Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts and flip flops. :D
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I can't tell if I'm offended by Blaizer or just shocked. Different country I guess...

The ink is lowering my IQ oh noez!

As far as I'm concerned if you make bitching art and you carry yourself in a professional confident manner, tattoos or piercing are not going to hold you back.

(Just read what Canadian ink said and its exactly what he said.)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    should it make a difference? No

Does it make a difference? Possibly, it all depends on how far you get into an interview process. If they have two candidates and one is all tatt'd up and pierced and one is not, they may choose the non-tatted up person for the job.

Is it right? No.

It also may be the exact opposite, if the interviewer also has tats and piercings. :D

As others have said cover that shit up on interview until you get the position and then ask or if you see others you know your cool and in the clear.

Same thing with dress code, interview always wear one step above what you think the company's current dress codes are.

Shorts, then wear jeans and a nice shirt.
    Slacks, wear slacks and a nice shirt possibly tie. (haven't heard anyone needing a tie in our industry but.. you get the idea)

And just out of ignorance and why would anyone stretch out their ear lobes? It might look cool now, but 20 years from now it will fall out of favor and you'll just have droopy ear lobes man... :D
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Dekard wrote: »
    why would anyone stretch out their ear lobes? It might look cool now, but 20 years from now it will fall out of favor and you'll just have droopy ear lobes man... :D

lulz QFT.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Live in the now gentlemen. Maybe it will look fuckin wicked when he's 79
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Blaizer wrote: »
    (boys didn't use to have earrings). All this is like new, like a fashion of these days, a bad one imho, and not common years ago. When i was a child, it didn't exist :D.

You're ignorant. Tremendously ignorant.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_sailors_wear_gold_earrings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earring

In addition, if a non-service member sailor was involved in and survived a sinking ship, they were often seen wearing an earring in the left ear. There was also a long-held belief that puncturing the earlobe was beneficial to increasing the acuity of eyesight (see acupuncture) or of hearingI][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I. Also, it was a common belief amongst sailors that if their ship wrecked and their bodes washed up on a shoreline, the person to find them would take the earring as payment for a Christian burial. It is because of this belief that many sailors invested quite a bit of money on gold earrings, as they were very superstitious.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe his grand kids can use them as a swings... If it really bothers him later probably won't. He could get the excess skin tucked or clipped.
    Oh the crazy things they'll be able to with our bodies in the future... future... fut..ure... f..u..t..u..r..e [/fading echo]
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    I didn't have any problems getting a job with my forearm tat - it's just not something that comes up. It's the work and attitude that matter; and while it may be something to be mindful of in other proffesions where stereotypes and ignorance are abound (such as tats seperating the classes), I don't think its something to worry about in our creative industry.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    All boys are sailors? hahaha don't make me laugh :P, i'm talking about SPAIN, not saying nothing weird, i know perfectly what i'm saying.

Put yourself a pair of earrings here... you will be pointed as GAY.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Gay is happy and happy is Gay! =)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    blaizer, pretty good trolling man
    7/10
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17

Here's the problem with the whole,"what about when you get old? It'll look bad", argument:

You're going to look like a mess when you hit 70, anyway! Will it really matter whether you have tattoos or not?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    And just out of ignorance and why would anyone stretch out their ear lobes? It might look cool now, but 20 years from now it will fall out of favor and you'll just have droopy ear lobes man... :D

haha. I get that question a lot. I keep that fact in mind, and like I said, I'm not stretching it to a ridiculous size. I know a lot of people that have gone past the point of no return, and now their lobes will not close naturally. I am not going to go that far, even though its possible to have it fixed.

I keep the future in mind whenever I get a tattoo or stretch my lobes. Which is partly why I started this thread, so I could get an idea of how it would affect me. I do not get a tattoo unless its positive and means something to me and will continue to mean something to me when I'm older. For instance, the tattoo on my left arm simply states "I Love My Life" with the words "Straight Edge" underneath. (For those of you who are unaware of what straight edge means, it means I do not smoke, drink, or participate in casual sex, but that's a whole different subject, lol.) The sleeve I'm going to get on my other arm is going to be dedicated to my family and list their names. So I don't think I will regret either of these tattoos when I am old and wrinkled, haha.

Thanks to everyone who answered, it seems the general consensus is that as long as I act professional and do good work, it shouldn't affect me too much at all.

Oh, and don't smell like a butthole. That's a big one.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    earplugs are the manly version of earrings.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    (For those of you who are unaware of what straight edge means, it means I do not smoke, drink, or participate in casual sex, but that's a whole different subject, lol.).

:(
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha. Sorry to let you down man.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    lol this thread is priceless.

I have 5 ear piercings -- two of which are guaged 0's. My ears could heal back if I wanted ... and even if they didn't I can have surgery to put them back to the way they were.

If you are worried about how you are going to look when you are 70, then maybe piercings and tatts are not for you. As for me -- I got these for life. Why cover up who you are?

That being said ... some people are still offended (god bless them) by some piercings and tattoos. If you want a job badly...sure...cover 'em up...but they are going to see them eventually. If a company is not comfortable with your appearance at an interview it's probably not the right environment for you.

Your appearance has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your work. Google puddnhead. He is by far one of the stranger guys I have ever met (bunny suit, anyone?) and I can only hope to be as successful as he is one day.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hot milfs with lower back tats?
    IronHawk -over here we call them tramp stamps - cause their the thing your looking at when you....know are doing you know what......
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I've hired people with tattoos and piercings. Generally the best thing for me is if someone is well spoken, polite, and personable.

Speaking of which, Alberto has piercings!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    IronHawk -over here we call them tramp stamps - cause their the thing your looking at when you....know are doing you know what......

Hoe Tag sounds better ^^