Home General Discussion

Forza Motorsport III

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You can get a very nice image through the xbox VGA cable. It might not be as easy to setup (a whole bunch of 'PC-style' resolutions to chose from) but it definitely works. Component output is also of similar quality to HDMI, surely your TV supports it?

About to get the game too... What would be a decent enough wheel to use it with? Nothing crazy, just the basics...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, yah, was actually running the 360 through the VGA input on my projector before, so that's always an option. I'd like to take advantage of the 'single cable' option for my inputs (including cable tv) and then just run one audio line out to my receiver from the tv (no more switching a/v settings on the receiver).
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    disc one works for me but disc 2 wont install says its scratched i see no scratches arghhhhhh :(

sometimes it doesent even say anything and sometimes i pop it in and then it pops out right away saying insert disc 1 again!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That's strange, AE. Perhaps check out the forums on Forzamotorsport.net? I think a few people had install issues.

BTW I was bored :P

car001.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha!

It needs an "in memory of" on the license plate area.

I've got a growing list of ideas for vinyl kits, some I plan on selling and some I plan on giving away.

Checked my 360 at work, no dice with that for an HDMI port, gonna stop by gamestop on the way home. I could always get an elite, but I don't need a second 120 gig hdd (or a third 360).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I should change the plate, hehe. Right now it just says BMAYS :P
    I want to do up a KABOOM car, too. lol

I need to pick up a 120GB hdd, but I can't spare that ridiculous $150. I mean come on, a 120GB HDD goes for like $30 these days.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I picked up mine off of some import site for ~$70. It didn't come with the transfer cd / cable, but I was able to borrow that from a coworker.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to make the my forza 2 Oreo car!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game is awesome, big props to all the guys at Turn10. Find me ridding dirty on my 93 Cobra XBL: MV12
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heads up to everyone who bought the LCE. There's a message from turn10 in there that says go tohttp://www.xbox.com/forza3lcetheme. Click that link, log in with your account, and tell it to grab the theme. Hope this helps!

Also, did a trade at GameStop with my old 360 for a newer (used) one that has HDMI on it. Even with a 1 year warranty tacked on, it still was only $60, which is cheaper than the MadCatz adapter (and also puts me in position to have an extra year's warranty on the 360).

I'll have a shot up of the monster tv shortly. :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    14267_169860771021_626801021_3345122_3058607_n.jpg

Samsung 63" Plasma tv + Xbox 360 + HDMI + Forza 3 = Fucking win.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow that's nice! I'm gonna try the 3 LCDs next week for surround racing :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee - just so you know that requires 3 screens, 3 xboxes and 3 copies of the game.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    Lee - just so you know that requires 3 screens, 3 xboxes and 3 copies of the game.

well crap! I thought maybe you could split up the signal.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be able to split it with a VGA splitter or something, then tweak the FOV, but it won't be the same thing. The real triple screen is certainly catering to the well off :|
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded ol' Greentooth to the storefront for free.
    Search by keyword 1: Logo
    Keyword 2: Video Game
    manual keyword search: Polycount
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Just uploaded ol' Greentooth to the storefront for free.
    Search by keyword 1: Logo
    Keyword 2: Video Game
    manual keyword search: Polycount

Awesome! I'll have to pick that up :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also put up a pair of Zero Punctuation designs for 5 and 8k. I've got a list of other ones I want to do, but I think I'll do some racing next time I sit down. :)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    why must you tease me with the ZR1 that I cant have D:

It's even meaner that it's in the car list on my game with a big lock icon on top of it...that's some cruel shit right there!

Otherwise the game is pretty radical though...something too cool about playing with different stripes and colors on my own car inside of a videogame... Does anyone know if buying a new engine for your car changes the available super/turbo chargers? I noticed there's no roots-type 100+hp gt500 style super charger but then wondered if you can only put that on the 5.4L engine block...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tease you cause it teases me! I would kill for one of those suckers in real life... heck, I'd kill for just the engine of one of those suckers in real life! :D
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I love that you can move the right analog forward and look around the cockpit when in that view.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know if I could actually handle driving a ZR1 in real life...I would probably kill myself in 20 minutes or less in one of those...Cant say I have a lot of experience behind 600+ hp haha

Can you take off upgrades in the game temporarily? They keep throwing E class championships in the beginning and I have to go back to un modded cars for it, is there a way to take my parts off for just those races, or have say a "max spec E class" setup?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Sandbag: just go to the upgrade screen and select lower parts that you have had before. If you've purchased the parts for the car at some point you can use them again to downgrade a car if need be.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love finding loopholes in racing requirements and exploiting them. "Rear wheel drive only" you say? Well then, lets see how those vimpy leetle cars in the race like my C6 Z06! Muahahaha! :D
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    At first I didn't think Forza 3 had penalties until I noticed a small hazard icon light up next to the posted times. It seems to add time at the end of the lap? It's hard to tell. Also why the hell em I getting penalized for passing a lapped car? For getting a quick tow or something? I was getting seemingly random penalties last night during the first endurance race.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax: Are you using the rewind feature? you also get penalized for going off the track if I recall.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penalties shmenalties. Win BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Also, hopefully I can actually accept a damn invite from you guys one of these days, always seem to get those right when I'm having to leave for something.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what'd be really wicked... a stand-alone pc-base app for making vinyl designs (kind of like what's in F3). Something that requires a Live account to log into and use, and could send you any designs you've created.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you draft the car while going 100+mph? That's a penalty I believe.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know maybe I did.

At any rate thanks for the decal Flaagan I went ahead and kind of expanded on it...

pc1.jpg
    pc2.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap! That's awesome. :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From one of the guys on the Corvette Forum. :D!

Veyron.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    ^ pahahaha love it.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking pics reminded me of the Halo3 snapshot days. So I did some Photomerging

I pimped out a Fiesta
    panorama1.jpg

and an oldschool Z
    panorama2_2.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude.. that's genius!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the pics cause Flikr made them small :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha awesome :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta say, I have a love / hate thing with the rewind feature, if only because it seems to be based on a totally arbitrary checkpoint system. I'll screw up something minor, and it'll rewind me back a good ways. Kinda irritating, as I'm trying to avoid using it except for major fuck-ups.

Also, I completely agree with the Forza forum users bitching about the game show-off revving before a race. It utterly screws with trying to get a good launch, particularly with traction control off. I really hope Turn 10 does a patch that allows players to disable that.

I just dumbed down the AI from hard to medium, which honestly feels like it should be classified as "easy". I toned it down cause there was no way in hell to catch up to the top 1 - 3 cars in most races on hard.

In some ways I'm loving the 'week / year' setup, but being able to know a little about each race set before hand would be useful. I know I can manually go play season sets and races, but at least seeing what tracks are on the list would be nice.

I hope I can dedicate more time to this game over time, I played the bejeebus outta 2, and really want to mess around more with the decal toolset this time around. Here's hoping I get some time to do some MP racing soon. :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe, just uploaded the Black Mesa logo and a Black Mesa Parking Permit (with limited quantity) onto the Storefront...

I gotta find the damn vector copy of Cryptic's logo so I can make that up for myself and my coworkers. :)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, it would be nice to see the track map/overhead view before choosing the car for that race :\

I have to look at the little screen shot slide show every time and think "hmm...enough straights to pull out the 800hp GT500? Or should I stick with the exiege and constantly have a z06 two inches from my rear..."

I really like that they're a bit more generous with credits and free cars in the game...Anyone know when/if you get a free Z06? I keep holding off on buying it hoping they'll just give me one but it'd be nice to have while I'm still doing A class events.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My storefront won't save any more images, so I'll post more when I delete these. It's a bitch showing screens of the game and saying what I worked on, so hopefully I can get a copy of my work from Turn10 pretty soon and post renders of the core assets. For the sake of making it easy, the red paintovers show what I modeled/textured for the scene.

pano5.jpg
    pano5b.jpg
    pano1.jpg
    pano1b.jpg
    pano2.jpg
    pano2b.jpg
    pano3.jpg
    pano3b.jpg

This one below I'm actually not too happy with. It was the last thing I worked on, had to be rushed, and the final lighting/bloom completely killed it. The actual assets and textures look much better than it does in the game (though I'm still unsatisfied with it)
    pano4.jpg
    pano4b.jpg
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I have layed much virutal rubber on your tarmac. ;)

great stuff, and a cool project to be part of. Best console "serious" racer as far as I'm concerned.
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea with the photomerge. I was a little disappointed when I saw how low res the uploads were. I'll put some up soon.
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an opportunity to play it couple o days back at euro gamer expo here in london and it was fuckin awsome.. You guys did a great job..
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carosel_Panorama_Final.jpg

Attacking the 'Ring in a ZR1.
    Just free-running in this one, I've yet to be able to afford one (buy my decals!).
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm saving for Veyron 1,400,000 :(

I have no idea how this happened but i was driving on two wheels for like 3 seconds...its amazing.

lol.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice shot of Nurb, Flaagan :D

That's crazy, cojax, haha. Man, I wish they ended up having the time to fully model the undersides like they wanted to. :(

On Saturday I raced with one of the editors over at Gamespot, Justin Calvert. We were racing the Fiat Abarth, so I was sporting my OxiClean digs :D

rw1r8p1.jpg

Justin painted up a very iconic scheme that I'm sure most of you will recognize :)

rw1r5p3.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I really need to get on a few MP races, or I'll just go total Clarkson with my cars if I'm not careful! (POOOOWWWEEERRRRR!)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Me and Cojax had a blast with mp races in Forza 2. Pretty sure we upset quite a few people too.

Folks don't drink and drive and co-ordinate major accidents over xbox live. hahaha

Oh i'mma just gonna hop on this East bound lane to go west. Oh why are there 8 cars flying towards me at 200mph? Oh NOES!!!!!!!