Home General Discussion

Call of Duty MW2

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
Surprised someone hasn't brought this up yet.

Warning Spoilers

http://news.spong.com/article/19606/Activision-Confirms-Civilian-Slaughter-Scene-in-Modern-Warfare-2

Anyone got opinions on this? Reading kotaku comments has fried my brain...

Now I'm not the biggest fan of CoD4 and didn't find it that enjoyable but I have absolutely no problems with this level. I don't understand what all the cries of anger are about.

The gaming community constantly begs for games to be taken seriously and defend GTA to their last breath. Then when we get something that seems to attempt to push a more mature theme everyone gets upset.

Its ok when its done in Postal, its ok when its done in Hitman, Its ok when its done in GTA, but now its taking itself seriously..... heaven forbid it attempt to evoke an emotion out of us.

And what I don't understand is how people can look at this and not see what they are attempting to do, then get all upset because it made them sick. Is that not the point of this level? To provoke an emotion from the player that will affect their views for the rest of the game?

Anyways this is all speculation on my part as I haven't' played the game so I have no definitive answer on what they are trying to achieve. Now considering I found CoD4 pretty run of the mill and totally "Action movie" oriented more than "thought provoking" like someone people did I'll have to wait and see.

Replies

• Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Jeez ... that shit is brutal. Maybe I am just getting too old for shit like that. I can understand maybe making it a cutscene or something, but making the player slaughter innocents so realistically is pretty gross if you ask me. More power to people who want to play something like that, it's a free country, but I find it in bad taste.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Bad taste, imo.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges wrote: »
    Bad taste, imo.

What's your opinion on action movies?
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... interesting. I'm not harping on anyone but I just wondering why you view it as "Bad taste".

Now maybe you also find movies with similar scenes of blatant violence offending idk. However, I don't understand how no one had issues with previous CoD imagery yet now that its flipped it is suddenly "taboo".
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Being the one to mow innocent people down in a simulation is a tad different than a movie.
    And yes, I also feel a few action movies are also in "bad taste" during certain scenes, oh noes...

edit: I'll add that I really don't care what perspective the killing of innocents is from, I just don't care for it. Fighting against actual enemies with bad intentions is what I prefer.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    turns out that you can skip the part if you'd like and head to the next checkpoint. but i also think it's a little bit in poor taste.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/28/confirmed-leaked-mw2-civilians-vid-as-real-skippable-through-checkpoints/
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    GTA 4 hello ....

I loooveeeee they show how real and ridiculous the war is,
    thanks MW2 for being step ahead from hollywood
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Gav wrote: »
    Sold!

Honestly, same with me. I don't doubt for one second that Infinity Ward would do something tasteless just to get some press. Honestly, from following these guys and playing all their games, I'm glad its them that is taking this step and blurring the lines a bit more, good on them, and I'm happy they had the balls to do it.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Why is this wrong? Is it because...it's a FPS instead of a 3rd person shooter like GTA? Or is complaining about the violence in GTA old now, so we're looking for a new game to whine about?

Anyways...if you can't handle what's in a "M" rated game...then you just shouldn't be playing them.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways...if you can't handle what's in a "M" rated game...then you just shouldn't be playing them.

I'm assuming those who have issue with it won't be purchasing and that is totally acceptable.
    Honestly, same with me. I don't doubt for one second that Infinity Ward would do something tasteless just to get some press. Honestly, from following these guys and playing all their games, I'm glad its them that is taking this step and blurring the lines a bit more, good on them, and I'm happy they had the balls to do it.
    This is how I initially felt but I'm trying to hold off due to my views of CoD4. I know some people thought CoD was amazing and had some things to say, but as I said before I felt it was more just an action movie.

So I'm a little hesitant to declare this as part of pushing the boundaries until I know how it fits with the rest of the game. Although I would like to see a game that attempted that with mature themes instead of the normal its mature cause its got "Gore and boobs" scenario.

Also I find it interesting that making light of utter violence and destruction is so widely accepted yet taking that and adding meaning / emotion is not. As long as were smiling doing it its ok. And I'm not referring to CoD as I stated idk how this will play out but just in general entertainment whether its books, film or games.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Eh, it's a game.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's getting a lot / too much attention... people jumping on either side of the argument for whatever reason. It's an interesting choice, it'll be interesting to play but the likely fallout - thats already starting - is just gunna grind my balls haha. Then again, id probably be interested in having a city like Rapsody.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Its weird to see more people are ok with this, but were in total uproar with Six Days in Fallujah(which I worked on). Its just weird to me.

Also I think they did this to get people talking about the game again just before launch, but lets be serious nothing is going to stop this game from coming out in two weeks.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    I think this looks intense. and i like it. video games aren't movies, it's not a passive medium. We need people exploring and pushing the boundaries in the language that is inanity our own. interactivity.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    Its weird to see more people are ok with this, but were in total uproar with Six Days in Fallujah(which I worked on). Its just weird to me.

Also I think they did this to get people talking about the game again just before launch, but lets be serious nothing is going to stop this game from coming out in two weeks.

I think the issue with six days in Falluja is that people could consider it exploitive of the the very real death and destruction that happened there. Call of duty is fiction. not the same.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think it's a question of taste or moral/ethical deficit. I think it's more about providing the player with an experience - even though the graphical representation of videogames has been in the 3rd dimension for a decade, the emotional impact of games is still undeniably 2d for 99.9% of titles, and always seems to be the biggest bugbear when that starts to shift.

It's already gotten people in this thread feeling uncomfortable, as well as the people in the linked article in uproar. If it makes you feel uncomfortable *playing it*, I'd say that was a positive thing and part of the intended experience; The reaction of a reasonable amount of people to be kneejerk disgust without actually playing through that scene yourself is premature, leaning towards ignorance, at best.

Movies, books, tv have all explored the darker sides of humanity, including
    rape (Irr
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Mmm, well put ^ and good choice of films too. Irreversible being a great example of something really intense handled really well.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    People are more sensitive to this because 1. it doesn't have the humorous or satirical context of a GTA or Postal game, for example and 2. it's about terrorism which is a sensitive, life-or-death issue that has singularly defined US foreign and domestic policies. No surprises there.

My gut reaction to the video was "Wow, that's pretty fucked up." I've never had that strong a reaction to a game when playing an evil character, so to me it was a nice reminder that games can actually provoke a visceral reaction that doesn't rely entirely on graphic realism. Most games that feature this kind of violence fly under the radar because of how absurd they are, so context is everything here.

So yeah, the game industry will definitely be under fire again.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Are these games really pushing the envelope violence wise? I can barely watch a saw movie but games never wreck my gut like that.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    Are these games really pushing the envelope violence wise? I can barely watch a saw movie but games never wreck my gut like that.

same for me, probably because you don't get that squishy feeling when something cuts into flesh in games yet.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's entertainment geared towards ADULTS. We know what's real, what's not. We're not fools. Some people take up boxing for stress relief, some play games. What's more violent? Punching a real person to a bloody pulp? Or killing a computer model? Seriously now...

If you're not 18, you shouldn't be playing this game.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »

Fiction vs recent reality.

First person experience of 9/11? Poor taste. That would be the same in movie form too (can you imagine the reaction to a big-budget movie about that? staring shia labeuff or someone equally awful?).

First person experience of WWI? Acceptable.

Iraq war? Bad taste.

Fiction that's well-grounded? Acceptable (see: every tom clancy book/movie adaptation).

JDinges: No need for the 'oh noes'. I just wondered what your position was on a similar medium.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Killing innocents = bad taste

Innocents being killed by the enemy as graphicaly as you like = awesome

Just a little point though:

Life = bad taste most of the time.

I like playing the good guy and killing kittens isn't my thing. I like thought provoking, I love when a game draws you in to the atmosphere and alters your perspective but I don't like being the heartless SOB that kills the kid on the street. I am all for mature content in games, hell, most gamers I know are over 18 at least. Time to give us old fuckers something we can wow at and enjoy as adults. I haven't played this but I might give it a look. Sounds like it could be a nice break from the norm.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Killing innocents = bad taste

Innocents being killed by the enemy as graphicaly as you like = awesome

Just a little point though:

Life = bad taste most of the time.

hell yeah.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballsy, realistic and stylish. It certainly brings something new the mostly bland FPS landscape.

I look forward to playing it...in Australia...where by some amazing accident, it passed classification as an MA15+ title, unlike L4D2 which was censored. Apparently in my country, droves of innocent civilians have less rights than a garden variety zombie. Yet more proof that our lack of an R18+ rating for video games hurts both sides of the argument, not that the conservative douchbags blocking the change would ever make that connection... :(
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the video's down, but i can't imagine this being much more chilling than that 5 minute preview scene from 2012 - you know, the one where john cusak and pals lightheartedly avoid collapsing schools and maternity hospitals and go "phew!" when they avoid being part of the innocent milliions snuffed out below them
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    SOLD !

uproar? and they havent even played the game through yet.. so they react to a segment completely disproportionately and completely out of context.. gogo internet .. fookin eejits..

As for MW2 cant frickin wait and Im going to upgrade my rig just to play it
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    WhiteEagle wrote: »
    unlike L4D2 which was censored. Apparently in my country, droves of innocent civilians have less rights than a garden variety zombie. Yet more proof that our lack of an R18+ rating for video games hurts both sides of the argument, not that the conservative douchbags blocking the change would ever make that connection... :(

Where do you draw the line? "He´s already dead!" Yeah but its still a brain flying out the back of his skull. Looks the same as a living human in my mind. So yeah, I think they judge mostly on the gore/visuals not the political/morale behind it all. Should they?

Also in L4D2 - YOU CAN CHOP OF LIMBS AND CUT HUGE OPEN WOUNDS IN THEM WITH A MACHETE. Guts and blood everywhere... (I love this though, I use the machete all the time and do my jason-impersonation). Very visual, Very gory. Tremendously fun.

I doubt you can do that in MW2 to the civilians. Might be wrong though. Besides, Mw2 isnt the first game you can kill civilians.

How about grand theft auto?
    How about prototype?
    How about the numerous rpgs out there?
    Fuck, HOW ABOUT THE SIMS!? That´s a freaking torture game if anything :)

Bring on the civilians I say. I will gladly shoot them down. After all. It´s only a game.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Oh shit just saw the video, i just might buy this game!

and my first thought was, oh fuck hope nothing like this can happen in real life...

but damn ill play it and ill giggle like a girl while doing it, everyones got a wicked side:)
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a huge difference between watching this type of shit in a movie and actually having to take part of it in a simulation.

As games become more and more realistic, this kind of stuff becomes more and more disturbing. I will buy this game, and I will more than likely play this part just out of morbid curiosity, but right now I feel like it could have been handled in a cut scene and would have gotten the point across just the same.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Seems pretty awesome to me. How is this any different from running over granny in your escalade in GTA? Maybe it's a bit more believable, and a bit more intense...but don't we play games to experience things that are so absurd and impossible to experience in real life?

I always chose Horde over Alliance. In counterstrike I always played Terrorist. When I was a kid, I was always the robber, never the cop.

Does this mean I have violent tendencies and I'm a cruel person?
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Seems pretty awesome to me. How is this any different from running over granny in your escalade in GTA? Maybe it's a bit more believable, and a bit more intense...but don't we play games to experience things that are so absurd and impossible to experience in real life?

I wouldn't call this absurd or impossible. GTA was a cartoon compared to this.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17

I always chose Horde over Alliance. In counterstrike I always played Terrorist. When I was a kid, I was always the robber, never the cop.

Does this mean I have violent tendencies and I'm a cruel person?
    YES! ;)

I think "games" and "play" are becoming a misnomer with titles like this coming out, and soon aren't going to cut it.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Boo hoo dead npcs....the devs should just have said that the npcs were suspected terrorists and that you play as a homeland security officer...problem solved.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't call this absurd or impossible. GTA was a cartoon compared to this.

True. I'm not saying the event is absurd or impossible, I'm saying that it's absurd and impossible that I (and hopefully anyone on this board) would ever be a part of a russian terrorist group slaughtering civilians in an airport.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between watching this type of shit in a movie and actually having to take part of it in a simulation.
    I feel like it could have been handled in a cut scene and would have gotten the point across just the same.
    I think your first statement explains why they didn't make it a cutscene. Its very hard to make a player feel something in a game. As others have mentioned I've never cringed when playing a game or felt uncomfortable playing a certain part compared to some movies that hard to handle.

Also just in general I'm all for pushing for new ways of storytelling as I'm getting bored with the 30 mins of gameplay - 5 min cutscene. Its like going to an action movie and between explosions they pause and put text on the screen to fill you in on the story. With that said i still think cut scenes can be useful and effective I just feel they are used too much.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This will be the best thing to hit the anti-game movement since Mortal Kombat
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    just saw the video

that looks genuinely horrible

when i play the game, i'm choosing the "skip" option
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    makes me think of the punchline at the end of "The Kingdom", which really made a statement at the end of that flick. maybe that is the same kind of statement they are trying to make here while ultimately fueling emotions untapped by typical gameplay/cutscene variances.

i just want some dual wielding action. that's all i ask. can't be a terrorist without that shit. you just can't. and l33t shades.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it really adds another level of emotional envolvement to the gameplay which is really good. The first MW had an amazing storyline and really got the user engaged, but now we've played it so much and then played multiplayer to death aswell so as soon as we all jump into MW2 we would of just gone in guns blazing and I think this level knocks us back into our seats and into the story.

Lets face it games were always heading this way since the first FPS and we will see much worse in the future. A lot of the audience these days are well to put it loosely emotionally dead to things on screens, we yawn these days if you watch an action movie and don't see someone walking around looking for their blown off arm... People would have been horrified watching shit like that 20 years ago.

Most of you must remember Carmagedon... I was pritty young when I played that and I never felt like that made me want to get in a car and run as many people down as I could.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    True. I'm not saying the event is absurd or impossible, I'm saying that it's absurd and impossible that I (and hopefully anyone on this board) would ever be a part of a russian terrorist group slaughtering civilians in an airport.

Speak for yourself, comrade.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Matabus wrote: »
    As games become more and more realistic, this kind of stuff becomes more and more disturbing... but right now I feel like it could have been handled in a cut scene and would have gotten the point across just the same.

So you're saying if it was handled as a cutscene so it didnt disturb you so much it'd get across the point (being disturbing) just the same?

Look, you're all grown ups, this is absolutely silly. You're okay with cod4 representing killing a bunch of innocent people with GUNS and political justification on your side, but once it's having you kill innocent people WITHOUT guns and being vilified for it this repulses you?

The playable sequence gets something very strong across. Aside from the planning concerns and consequences, someone like this firing a gun into a crowd of innocent people at an airport would be easy. Almost fun, if the man was appropriately sadistic. That's scary, that's disturbing, that sets the stage for a dramatic action thriller perfectly.

Aren't most of you the same guys who complain that shooters are juvenile fantasies with no real maturity or emotional impact? Infinity ward is making a strong, powerful statement with this sequence. Obviously, seeing sa how just the video makes you not want to play it, it had as much or more of an emotional impact on all of you as it did me. This is, if anything, a ridiculously effective, unexpected leap forward in the 'games as art' pursuit.

Since this is a game deveoopment related forum, maybe a more design oriented/productive question:

Does anyone recall any other games that made them feel uncomfortable about killing in a shooter? Deus Ex kinda did to me, but that's all that comes to mind.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Watched the video. Pretty cool I thought. I'm always in favor of taking things to the next level. In terms of emotional impact it accomplished the job well.

Now to go all 'Alex Jones' on people...lol...I wonder if the CIA had ever considered doing something like this against Americans. False flag terror op document locked away in the basement of the CIA building. I tend to think the CIA has a scenario thought up from just about every angle possible to accomplish any goal desired...whether it is in Americans best interest or not.

The purpose?...I'm always viewing things from the perspective of "what would it take to scare Americans enough into going along with stripping them of their 2nd amendment right to bare arms?" Something like this happening in real-life would probably do it.

Look how much that 9/11 truth crap can get into your head...lol
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    I wonder if the CIA had ever considered doing something like this against Americans. False flag terror op document locked away in the basement of the CIA building. I tend to think the CIA has a scenario thought up from just about every angle possible to accomplish any goal desired...whether it is in Americans best interest or not.

I still think you're an insane concpsiracy theorist but;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

yes, they've done that.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Something like this happening in real-life would probably do it.

huh? what rock have you been living under? airport, high school, university, immigration office... what's the difference? and 3 out of 4 of those HAVE happened... the 2nd amendment has been beaten to death and is still around... so i don't think Americans will cough it up just because another slaughter house happened in an airport.... i may be totally missing your point here though....
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    I still think you're an insane concpsiracy theorist but;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

yes, they've done that.

Yep. Operation Northwoods is very interesting stuff to read about.

Yes I'll admit. I'm probably more on the fringe then most...lol Never trust anyone or anything and always be skeptical is my motto. You learn to get used to it.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    huh? what rock have you been living under? airport, high school, university, immigration office... what's the difference? and 3 out of 4 of those HAVE happened... the 2nd amendment has been beaten to death and is still around... so i don't think Americans will cough it up just because another slaughter house happened in an airport.... i may be totally missing your point here though....

You probably right. But watch the video if you can find it. It's like Columbine or Virginia Tech x 100. Intense. We have yet to see something like that happen.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    So you're saying if it was handled as a cutscene so it didnt disturb you so much it'd get across the point (being disturbing) just the same?

I am saying I would get the point that this russian villain is an awful guy without having to play as one of his comrades killing innocent women and children. In the video it shows someone pulling their lifeless friend or family member across the airport floor with a blood trail only to have the player come and unload a clip into both bodies. Also, a crippled from gunfire person limping away from the action that you can go shoot in the back of the head. All while amazingly good sounding screams and chaos goes on around you.

No one is shooting back at you, they are all running. Gross. Just my opinion.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Normally, I would be all over the idea of using the gameplay in order to enhance the storytelling. ICO has proven that gameplay mechanics can, not only reinforce, but actually create the storyline.
    However, when I hear about this idea being implemented in such mainstream title as COD, I can't help but think "meh".

For a little while, I've been annoyed with the way Infinity Ward tries to push their game (that relates to MW1 as well) as something that has a special meaning attached to it. The storyline in the previous Modern Warfare, was pretty forgettable in my opinion. It was a mixed bag of anti-war imaginary and typical overblown Hollywoodish pathos.

I found all, supposedly dramatic events to be rather laughable, due to their cheesy execution. But scrap that, even if we leave all the content alone, it's just impossible to treat this idea seriously in a game which gameplay relies solely on killing things. This divide between the storyline and gameplay is rather comedic. After all, how can I treat it seriously when gameplay makes killing people fairly entertaining and enjoyable?

The reason why I will always say ICO is one of the most brilliant games ever made, is because it got rid of that divide. The storyline and gameplay are not following different paths. They supplement each other and work towards the same goal – creating an experience. While it did achieve it thanks to its relative simplicity and this effect will be harder to reproduce in a more complex game, it's something that all developers bothering with the storyline should be striving for.

Furthermore, this whole idea seems more like a marketing ploy to create more buzz around the game and give it a taste of controversy. Making something that could potentially improve the storyline and make a huge impact on the player optional is a terrible move.
    It ruins the purpose of storytelling. If you can skip such a crucial thing, then how can we even talk about creating a consistent storyline? Character development? Toying with the feelings of your audience? What about getting your point across or giving players similar experience? You can't get these things without offending at least some people. Giving them an option to turn their heads away, whenever something “bad” happens, removes any artistic impact that the game could have.

Of course, from the publisher's point of view it's a fine decision, maximizes the profits and all. But then I will have to call it kitsch and I would be really saddened by the fact games industry has already reached this point.

To summarize it all. I remain sceptical when it comes to implementing such features in mainstream titles. Not that I hate popular things, as they can be entertaining for what they are. However, if they pretend to be something that they are not, then as a potential customer I cannot help myself but feel offended.
    I HOPE I will be proved wrong, because I was longing to see this kind of stuff in games. Interactive media gives us too many artistic opportunities to let them go to waste.