Home General Discussion

Forza Motorsport III

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I want to give this a try. I absolutely love racing games.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Well, bought the tv. Gonna get it on Wednesday, so the last thing my projector will likely play is the first few bits of Forza 3. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Man, I like the MT mode on this one, I just wish the MS steering wheel matched the quality of this game. I hate flappy-paddle shifters on cars that don't have them!!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Well, bought the tv. Gonna get it on Wednesday, so the last thing my projector will likely play is the first few bits of Forza 3. :)

I'm Deluxe Walrus on your friends list btw. We should play when it comes out on Tuesday.

Anyone else who is going to be playing a lot of forza 3 is welcome to add me. Deluxe Walrus.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    the game looks amazing!! congratulations!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    i wish i owned an xbox =\
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    mLichy wrote: »
    the lack of animation on the steering wheel right away when I played the demo a while back, heh. It actually did bother me

In the words of Douglas Quaid, "Screeeeeeew yoooooooooooo!" :P <3
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Vassago wrote: »
    In the words of Douglas Quaid, "Screeeeeeew yoooooooooooo!" :P <3

lol seriously. I always thought inview was so distracting. I see a lot of people saying Forza3 is crap because driver view was bad. So dumb. I love the game and cant wait for Tuesday!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drive w/out driver view. Just the tach and speed.

You guys need to add rev limiter adjustment for the cars in your garage. Most of the turbo/supercharged cars I take 300~500RPM beyond redline.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    ok gonna get at xbox 360 for this. just too good to miss.

I'm in agreement for the Top Gear track. But only if I can play as the Stig.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    ok gonna get at xbox 360 for this. just too good to miss.

I'm in agreement for the Top Gear track. But only if I can play as the Stig.

You start out as Gambon, and work your way up to being the Stig. :poly121:
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a 360 should be cheap as dirt at the chu-ko shops. I saw one for 15,900 yen. Dunno about Tokyo. I heard you guys have to pay monthly to breathe.
  • flaagan
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait!

I have school tomorrow. But I have a study hall in the middle of the day and I'm gonna go out and pick it up then. Then I have to go back for one class. After that... I'm home free!!!!
  • km00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    km00 polycounter lvl 17
    Looking forward to picking this up too!
    Been playing the demo for a while now.. my dad actually saw me play this and he's like "I wanna!" haha Might be the one of the first times I've seen him play a video game.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't gonna get it till Friday, but then I found out you get the Daytona Coupe if you get it on launch... will be getting my copy ma
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    gonna go grab my copy tomorrow after work if i have time.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my copy, getting the DLC and installing the game to my 120 gig hdd now. Gotta say, the box is by far the snazziest I've seen yet, feels like I've actually just bought some expensive car. Kudos to the packaging team for a touch of class and not using those godawful metal tins.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Lamont wrote: »
    a 360 should be cheap as dirt at the chu-ko shops. I saw one for 15,900 yen. Dunno about Tokyo. I heard you guys have to pay monthly to breathe.

they have a few gathering dust in the bargain bin at my local dokeyhote store.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Got my copy, getting the DLC and installing the game to my 120 gig hdd now. Gotta say, the box is by far the snazziest I've seen yet, feels like I've actually just bought some expensive car. Kudos to the packaging team for a touch of class and not using those godawful metal tins.

You pick up the LCE? It certainly is nice. The magnets threw me off at first I was like "oh, that's snappy!" hehe. The keychain and soft-pulsing orange USB drive are also cool :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, got the LCE! The keychain's wicked, though I likely won't put it on a car (I have a thing for not putting deadweight on my ignitions so that they don't prematurely stop working). Could always use it on the '86 'vette when I eventually turn it into a track car. :D

You have any issues with the DLC? As I replied on facebook, grabbed it (all three initially said 'pending' for a few minutes, but that could be cause comcast is sucking balls lately), got them all, but apparently I'm not seeing any of it in game. Also, wasn't there a premium theme in the preorder DLC as well? If so, that's not showing up either.

Those DLC issues asside, ran my first few races (the hatchbacks) and loving the feel so far. Already done minor paint and vynil customizations to both my first two cars, and I love the fact I got an achievement on the Audi R8 intro race for grabbin air with the ride.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just took another read at what the DLC cars were supposed to be... were any supposed to show up in your garage or just be available to buy? If the latter I'll need to take another look as I may not of realized that being the case. Question still stands on the theme though...
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    Sandbag wrote: »
    what do you drive Sir-Knight? Sounds like a cool event

I am going to run out and buy this asap; I've been dying for a replacement for GT5:P since my ps3 died (with fingers crossed that this one wont massively handicap all american cars...)

The whole 'mod your car with actual purchasable parts' thing is pretty interesting to me...the thought of putting mods I'm actually considering for my car on and testing them out is pretty incredible. Though it's hard to say how realistic/accurate the portrayal could be the prospect is still interesting enough to remain optimistic.

I drive a 2007 subaru impreza 2.5i... so no turbo... comes with 173 hp that work hard for me since I do a lot of autocross and track days.

I've done some spicy suspension to it so it handles similar to that generation STI.

Even with one of the slower cars on a 'performance' all season tire, this guy's reaction is priceless.

4040303261_6b13ff4355.jpg

A little bit about the game now...

Having never played a forza product before, I was expecting something along the lines of GT. All driving games have the problem of not being able to reproduce the imperative danger of going into a corner too hot... it's very difficult to modulate braking because there's no feedback in the pedals, so you can't feel the road.

The steering response is always great, but like all driving games, you have no G load sensation sitting in a still room.

I did however like the feeling in this game over what I've experienced in GT and other tarmac driving games of the past it felt a lot less floaty than GT physics.

Eye candy was nice... what with the 2 laps I was able to play of the game after waiting about half an hour. Driving outside in the event was far more fun :P

Here's what our quick run around the parking lot looked like from inside a subaru legacy with a custom built engine pulling about 380 ft/lbs of tq at the wheels.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_nwKV3Jcr0[/ame]
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan - yeah exactly, they're just made available to buy on the market, they're not in your garage. That threw me off as well and I tripled-checked it, hah. Sort of misleading as it's not clearly stated on the code cards.
    I haven't been able to get the theme yet either, not sure why. It's listed on the Xbox website, but I can't seem to download or even see it on the Live marketplace yet. I'm sure that'll be fixed soon.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to take another look this evening, but weren't there supposed to be some cars with big Forza emblems on them or something, special decals and tuning I believe... don't think I saw those.

I was kinda hoping that the map with the hangar was wide open for just fooling around. You worked on the tracks, right Vass, you know if the game's track tech allows for a setup without a start / finish? I figure the drifting crowd would love an open map with some obstacles to mess around with.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I installed it today during lunch. Down loaded all the dlc from the Lmt Clrs Edition. Only had time to play the first intro track with the R8. I wanna check out all these test tracks... and get a new car (urgh Ford feista).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaagan - the test track has multiple ribbons - quite a few of them are "open" areas with obstacles and such. The main ribbon is the ring itself, while the last 2 are drag strips.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Flaagan - the test track has multiple ribbons - quite a few of them are "open" areas with obstacles and such. The main ribbon is the ring itself, while the last 2 are drag strips.

Will definitely have to take another look. Looking forward to taking you down.. uh.. on. :poly121:
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Picked up the collectors edition as well. Very impressive packaging for the game. DLC is nice. I am finding the cockpit view really nice to drive in.

The legends pack was the bonus if you bought the game new was it not?
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    F3 LCE sitting on my desk. I think its slowing down time. Waiting to go home and play it:P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    The legends pack was the bonus if you bought the game new was it not?

For the LCE? There were two packs of content, one was the legends pack, the other was 5 cars that were painted by the T10 crew (nothing special, just cars featuring the Forza colors).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a couple page long thread over on the 'vette forum about forza 3, everyone likes it or wants to get it. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10,000,000 for the Daytona Coupe! Oh man... I gotta keep racing
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Grats Josh on the game Josh!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played some more this evening, unlocked a VW and immediately went in and did some custom paint and vinyl. Think I'm gonna make a habit of doing custom vinyl on every vehicle, wanna put a few kits up for sale at some point.

Definitely had some fun doing custom designs with 2, but never put any up for sale. Are there any good sites with tutorials for different things?

Really looking forward to racing some folks, though my gaming hours are a bit odd. I'll likely bring it into work with me to play during lunch breaks some time soon.

Found some of the Forza LCE vehicles, I was looking in the wrong manufacturers before. Still no idea whats up with the theme, would really like to get that.

Also, found the version of the test track that's all open for drifting and whatnot, had some good fun with that setup.

Hey Vass, any idea why Morgan isn't in this game? Also, any idea if there was any discussion of getting an AAR Cuda in at any point? They've got the '68 fastback again but no 70's Barracudas.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played roughly 8 hours yesterday. And it was all after 2 pm.

I love this game. I'm getting sucked into it like I did with Forza 2.

The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to make money. But I think that will change once I get further.

Anyway. Great game Josh! Hopefully we can race sometime.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Played for a couple of hours. Gameplay is good, friendly UI. I wish the car's looked better, I know it's a common nitpick but there could have been a better shader on the cars that wasn't any more expensive and looked way better. It looks like they have a simple phong model for the highlight which makes it look so much like plastic. I also like the slightly lower exposure + vignetting after you finish the race, I wish this would have been used during the race. The road material also kinda bugs me, looks too flat and with a big smooth highlight. Anyway's those are nitpicks I'm sure i'll be spending plenty of time playing this.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm addicted to the paintshop ^^ spent most of the night making a car design. One day, hopefully I'll be able to get my stuff to look as good as these :(

epicmickey2.jpg
    JokerFinished3-1.jpg
    ajolie011.jpg?t=1256442846
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any idea why Morgan isn't in this game? Also, any idea if there was any discussion of getting an AAR Cuda in at any point? They've got the '68 fastback again but no 70's Barracudas.
    No idea whatsoever, hah. The car team and track team didn't mingle much outside of the occasional lunch.
    know it's a common nitpick but there could have been a better shader on the cars that wasn't any more expensive and looked way better. It looks like they have a simple phong model for the highlight which makes it look so much like plastic. I also like the slightly lower exposure + vignetting after you finish the race, I wish this would have been used during the race. The road material also kinda bugs me, looks too flat and with a big smooth highlight. Anyway's those are nitpicks I'm sure i'll be spending plenty of time playing this.
    I agree with these. The car shader used to be far worse though, so I'm happy it was updated some. Not sure if I'd like to race with the vignetting, but I'd like the lower exposure for sure. The road surfaces were a bit trickier though, as the normal map road shader made it in really late. There wasn't much time left to work it into many of the tracks.
    In the end though it came down to performance. We had to make sure that 8 cars could run on a track (all on-screen) and keep a solid 60fps. Not the easiest thing to do when you're trying to cram as much eye candy as possible, hehe. Most any game these days runs at 30fps.

**edit - that disney car is sick, Lee! For a sec there I thought YOU made those, hah. That's cool though. :D
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I wish! you saw my attempt on facebook, took me 4 hours to make those sushi pieces
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Played 4-5 hours last night, so far, this gets a 10/10 from me. The UI is terrific, and such a vast improvement over 2 its incredible. All of the little quirks from 2 have been addressed, and I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

I'm very impressed with the online, and how the XP carries over to your overall single-player career XP, it takes away that "am I wasting my time in online" feeling you get with some games.

It's funny how this game really pulls on those RPG-addiction strings, I just want to keep leveling up and collecting more cars!

Did anyone else notice how much more friendly the achievements are? I played Forza 2 for years and barely broke 100 I beleive, already got over 200 after one night of play. :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah, in some respects it looks like the achievements might actually be too easy this time around, though I think that's as much because they realized not everyone's gonna be going down every possible path (just a guess).

Oh yah, just got home with the monstrosity of a tv, gotta head in to work, but I'll hopefully get the tv installed tonight!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    You guys up for a race later today?
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    My 99' GTR ACR Viper says yes. Lets race. Please.

xbl sn: Cojaxx
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    always up for racing! gamertag: HarleyQ
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually not that great at racing, lol. But I'll certainly race with the pcount crew :D

xXstubbifiedXx
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    why do i always find myself racing against an AI J.Evans? Its freaking me out.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We should have a polycount meet up on forza!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arg... so the tv's installed, and I thought the 360 I have at home had an HDMI port, apparently not. I'm gonna check the one at work tomorrow, and if that doesn't, gonna have to find one of those output cables (which apparently are no longer made)... doh!