Warcraft Orc

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
|||UPDATE:|||---
new face?
orcshoulders1.jpg

---|||UPDATE|||

Alright, so I'm looking to do some higher quality models for World of Warcraft. I thought that I would begin with the orc. While humans are my least favorite model in WoW, I care far more about orcs and hate their model as well.

So I modeled something in blender with Fel Orcs as a reference.

I mainly aimed to make it feel taller and more honorable. Reading the Lord of the Clans with the warcraft model in mind for orcs was such a let down. They deserve some dignity i think :D.

I tried to keep the general posture of the warcraft orc, just change the proportions a bit. Something to note is that the legs are pretty short, and i think that feels a lot better than the current leg/torso ratio. Also chest and shoulders are obviously ridiculously big, which is how i prefer to see the orcs depicted in the warcraft universe.

Here is the model I'm trying to correct, for those not too familiar with Warcraft:
orc1u.jpg

Did I stray too far from Warcraft? Is it too human? What needs to be adjusted? Thanks much for any input

Replies

• Cacophony
    It's is shaping up well from my view. At first i was going to ask why you chose to pronounce the chest and shoulders... but an orc with dignity eh? Thats a cool concept.
    In my opinion, although you straightened out his spine a bit - the over-pronounced trapezius muscles and placement of the head still seem very orc, as opposed to seeming human.

Check out the placement of his eyes in comparison with the wow model. As well, look at the curvature of his cheek leading to the upper lip.

ay found this ha, an orc without a bad back.
    (although he doesnt look like the moral type)
    http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/fan_art/world_of_warcraft/orcs/
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man. and that's a cool picture :D. i adjusted his jaw a bit, but i still just haven't focused on the face all that much.

EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED

I made a low poly (ingame WoWish count) sword really quick for scaling purposes. I will change the flow a bit for sculpting and then detail it. All 3 pieces just have quick matcaps applied. None are detailed or anything yet, especially sword and buttflap.
  • Killaball
    Ok well first off, I'd say fix the hands and feet even the wow models have at least a little detail on the feet.

Even if you are going to put them in gloves/boots sculpt that stuff out it will help in the future.

The proportions look off, the torso seems to long and the legs to short/small. The World of warcraft male orc is almost wide as he is tall (exaggeration on my part of course), but your orc still seems to tall.

I'd not work on the detail as of yet, I know you want to make him scratched up and everything (everyone does) but just hold off and put some good secondary detail and anatomy. Sink a good few more hours into the anatomy before you move on.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    Killaball, let me clarify. I am not making the WoW orc. I am modeling it how I felt it should have been done after I read the books. What I am trying to stay true to is Warcraft's general art style, NOT their in game depiction of the orc (which I hate).

As such, I am looking for pointers on what might feel out of place relative to Blizzard's artistic style. I have exaggerated the leg/torso ratio to give them much squattier legs. That was a decision on my part, not a mistake (as I discussed it in my original post). Also the lack of detail in feet and hands is irrelevant, i'm simply talking proportions at this point.

Therefore, if you believe the short legs are a failure to meet blizzard's artistic direction, that is the kind of stuff i'm interested in hearing. if you think it's a failure to meet human anatomy, or that it is not consistent with the current in game model, that's not what i'm looking for.

hope that cleared it up a bit. thanks for the input (and i'd love to hear a clarified response)
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    The short legs and big head gives him an appearance of a midget. Sit back for a bit and analyze what makes orc proportions "orc proportions", do you know what i'm sayin? compare the with of shoulders to the width of waist, head size compared to shoulders etc.

I'd recommend getting the paul bonner book "out of the forest", i love his orc proportions, and it seems clear to me where the blizz got a lot of their inspiration..
  • Killaball
    Thanks for the clarification.

Ok if you want to make your orc more relative to the Blizzard's artist style, you first off have to base your anatomy off of realistic anatomy because this is how blizzard developed their anatomy.

But if you don't want me to say anything about that, as far as making the orc more taller and more honorable maybe straighten out his back so he is not hunched over. As of right now I feel that he is still brutish and less honorable. Hunching over a character makes them more brutish and less regale.

If you want the legs more squatter looking you will either have to actually shrink the legs or enlarge the upper torso some. This might be a bad example but Mr incredible came into mind when you said you wanted to keep the legs shorter.

So sorry about the confusion of my post earlier hope this helped a bit.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    alright killaball and slash thanks for the agreement over the legs. i don't know what was drawing me to short legs as something to exaggerate...but they definitely do look a bit too overdone for something that's otherwise not all that caricatured. in fact, looking at the majority of orcs depicted in blizzard artwork, almost all of the orcs have pretty long legs.

where i see orcs with very short legs is actually more Warhammer...so definite thanks on making me think twice on what makes something "Blizzard."

Slash I will look into that book for sure. Nothing helps more than a good reference.

Here is update with longer legs (though i still need to exaggerate them a bit more.
    front1mt.jpg

and here is one from player perspective (but this is mainly just so you can see his ass-less chaps). THERE IS NO BACK MUSCLE DEFINITION. GENERAL VOLUMES ONLY, PLEASE IGNORE ANATOMY.
    playerview.jpg

Thanks again
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update, broadened him a good deal, did quick animated giff to show general proportions (sorry for size, but you should get the idea). just wanted to save space while i tweak a few things. he was just looking too human, hopefully more orc is shining through now
    83333923.gif
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry i randomly decided to come back to this guy for now. i reworked his pose, general proportions, and completely redid anatomy. i was not feling how he was looking, and i like this a bit more.

lookin for crits on changes, if good will go ahead and detail
    regular.gif
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    give his back a bit of a curve or pose him like your reference warcraft orc, right now hes inbetween a normal relaxed sculpt and a pose so hes sort of bent forward and unbalanced and uncomfortable to look at. The muscles are coming along well theres room for improvement on his back muscles/anatomy
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    just from a workflow standpoint, I would go back and smooth out the detailing you've done in the chest, arms, and legs. I know its a bitch to erase work, but you'll get a much better flow in the model if you work on all of the anatomy at once, and refine it as a whole, rather than detailing each area seperately. It'll also allow you to make corrections to the whole as you go along. Where as now, you are essentially playing catch up to the torso area and you are gonna do a lot of work before you realize "oh, that part looks off now".
  • jakelear
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not digging the seemingly random spikes jutting out of his upper spine. It looks like you decided that part of the back wasn't interesting enough and yanked some spikes out. They are squared off at the top and so narrow that, if there were bones under there, they would tear right through his skin. The skin doesn't show any tension or stretching from being so drastically stretched across the spikes.

Also, if he were to look up, he would poke the back of his head on the top spike. I think the model would honestly be better off without the spikes, but if you desperately want to keep them, you might want to reconsider and make them into bone or something that makes more sense.

My other major problem with this is his hands. You've got a pretty high level of detail and musculature on the body, but then the fingers are these pointy little bent sticks.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ged thanks for the crit, and i will try to make him less awkward. dunno if you read first post though, the reference orc is what i'm trying to change. i hate that model, and i wanted the orc to feel less "pathetic." so taking him out of the slouch is something i did in my last correction (note the turntable .gif above my last one, he is slouched).

whipswitch thanks for the tip. i just erased a good deal to get this new anatomy, so i don't have too big of a problem with backtracking. i'm not really sure what you're referring to specifically though, i feel that he DOES have his general anatomy laid out atm, what is it you feel is particularly off?

jakelear, nothing is detailed. the hands aren't even fully proportioned, definitely not detailed. nothing is detailed. just forms. the spikes are intentional, and have been there since my base model. the reason they look as is are because i simply have ignored them completely while i lay out proportions.
    the reason they are there is because they were something i thought was cool from the reference:
    felorc.jpg
    thank you for your concern, though.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    going back to this guy. bouncing around as usual. added some shoulders (for which only low poly is shown here, sculpting soon)

reworked proportions. i like him a bit better now. will thicken his calfs a little from the profile.
    orcshoulders.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i kinda like the more human proportions reminds me a bit of the uruk hai from the lord of the rings movies,, which are in my opinion the most kick ass orcs there be.
    sideshow_premium_format_lord_of_the_rings_uruk_hai_berserker.jpg

i like the proportions best in the small spinning gif. is he shorter in that gif? whatever i think it looks the best a bit of a hunch wihtout being all cro mag

things i dont like about your model (my opinions)
    1.finely crafted armors .. i likes crude chunkey ugly armors on orcs!
    2. drastic slope of the head (chin to forehead)
    3. tusks in mouth are not convincing maybe do a paint over or a crude skull model to work in how the tusks would work.
    4. slant of eye holes make him look sad :(
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    good to see you picked it back up.

The hands could use some refinement, and i would define more of a wrist. Right now it looks like his arm flows directly into his hand.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    @rhinokey i love uruk hai, specifically your berserker there :D. but ya that is more MY style, i'm just sort of trying to stick with blizzard style (which i'm slowly drifting further and further from...so i might just stick with my style on this guy :D).

1. finely crafter armor: ya i know what you mean. however, i really wanted this guy to be an old orc from Draenor. I gave him armor that i thought represented what i know of Dranei art mixed with orc blacksmithing. What i have done of the rest of the armor is a bit more crude
    2. ya the head was bugging me too. I basically modelled it very closely after fel orcs, but i changed it now and hopefully you prefer the new head (i think i do)
    3. again, those are direct proportions and placement from fel orc, i just plopped them there for reference, and didn't like em either, so for now there are no tusks.
    4. also should prefer new face

@whipswitch thanks. ya that wrist was actually a recent intentional decision. we'll see how it looks when it's a bit more refined.

anyway, here are facial changes, and a few details to hand:
    orcshoulders1.jpg