Home General Discussion

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
More like Operation Failure... my original concern with the game was that the command scheme setup would be dumbed down for console owners. As it stands, I pity them. Even with the simple direction based menu, it's a friggin nightmare trying to quickly find a command, and often seemingly duplicate commands exist, so you'll accidentally send your squad into a crossfire. Not that it matters much, the AI for both your squad, your fellow combatants, and the enemy is as dumb as dirt.

On one "defend a few buildings" mission, the enemy repeatedly walked right by me, then, twenty feet behind me, would turn around, fire, and kill me. Every time my squadmates just let them walk on by. I watched on the map as a heli that was supposed to be offerring cover fire once touch down on some random far spot, its pilot and gunner disembark, and return on foot to another group, right in the middle of a firefight.

The tedium of the controls, though, fits well with the rest of the game. Everything is done soooooo friggin slooowly it's painful. Reloads and weapon swapping just stops you in your tracks, and weapon selection may as well bring up a 'pause' on screen, as just getting the list to show up can take a few seconds, if it responds at all.

For some reason which is beyond me, as soon as you enter a vehicle, your mouse look is locked dead foward and heaven forbid you should want to change seats to the gunner position or something equally as useful. And speaking of locked controls, if you happen to bring up an airstrike / artillery command menu while holding the mouse to look through the binoculars (another wtf), and forget that you've done so, the menu is faded out so you have to squint at your screen to realize that you've still got to exit out of it to return to actual gameplay.

I've seen a number of bugs, but compared to the actual bad gameplay they seem minor and not worth mentioning. All in all, I hope CodeMasters is enjoying the money they got from me for this game, cause I'm sure not enjoying what I got in exchange, and I seriously doubt MP is gonna swing my opinion on it.

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Operation flashpoint, arma, arma2

i think opflash2 is technically the sequel to GRID
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    anything past the original ofp is bollocks..
    they might have pimped the looks, but the bugs ofp had have never been taken account of and bohemia obviously didnt listen to the die hard community.

i somehow thought that dragon rising wont be any better..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    SupRore wrote: »
    Operation flashpoint, arma, arma2

yessssssss

Flaagan, I'm in total agreement.
    On top of that, I have to nitpick:

- Super super overdone bloom (AGAIN, Codemasters? COME ON)
    - Post processed into a brown poopy world
    - FOV is set to 40 or something ungodly. It's like you're wearing a dog cone around your head
    - First person weapon animations. Does the character have 8 inch arms? Why the hell is he flailing his weapon back and forth 3 times a second? Ugh
    - Weapon accuracy and recoil are so far off from reality it's disgusting. This might not bother me quite as much if it were not called OFP. Even then, the weapons just don't behave as you'd expect them to.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I chose to stand FAAAAAAAAAR away from this one.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Vassago wrote: »
    yessssssss

Flaagan, I'm in total agreement.
    On top of that, I have to nitpick:

- Super super overdone bloom (AGAIN, Codemasters? COME ON)

I thought this might be impressive one of my friends was a big original ofp fan but this sounds rubbish. Lol the bloom was so overdone in colin macrae dirt that I had trouble seeing whats going on I had to get a fix program or edit files in order to turn it down! thats crazy haha
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I was waiting on this one for a long time.. but yup it's a turd. And I'm going to try and find the jackass who got me to believe the trailer was all in game footage cause that is bullshit.. :D [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9XUsG8zy0&feature=fvste3[/ame]
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard: that trailer is so far from looking in-game.

Is the game really that bad? I was kind of looking forward to it, hoping it would be good. Bummer.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    Dekard: that trailer is so far from looking in-game.

Yeah, I agree. It was another dev telling me they knew for a fact that was 'ingame footage' and I have been telling them for months that it was all cinematic.. :) What we were looking at was the volumetric explosions, back when we first watched it.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Counting on a Trailer to give a real impression of actual gameplay is pretty much pointless. Esspecially if no HUD is visible and the scene is captured from different angles.

It's always the same: Instead of taking the best ingame footage you have an put it into a nice trailer they tend to make trailers which communicate the idea, the mental image a developer has from its game.

Although this behaviour results in nice trailers there is no gain from them about the actual game, how it may feel etc.

The problem with the OFP - DR -Trailer is not the pre rendered / faked whatever footage. But a pre scripted scene which has nothing to do with interactive gameplay. The material could be taken out of cut scene from COD. And it just wouldn't make any difference.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I really liked Operation Flashpoint back in the day, at the time it seemed more permissible to have horrible controls, animations and art, or even the damn alt+tab out of the game, delete save file, alt+ tab back in just so you could SAVE more than once during the lengthy missions in which you died A LOT. But I tried playing it more recently, even tried playing ArmA, the lack of improvement was staggering and unacceptable, so I didn't hold much hope for the Operation Flashpoint sequel. The series needs a major overhaul and it's just not getting it.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    This game is TERRIBLE!
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    I really like it :(.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Coop on hardened difficulty is a good time for sure. The AI and health are extremely sporadic though... I look forward to missions where I can fly choppers.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caution, TL;DR coming up:

I tried the multiplayer out last night, it was actually a lot of fun! But... I lagged out of a 32v32 game in about 3 minutes after we all ghosted back and forth for a while. Without dedicated servers, large-scale MP games are hit or miss. I did play a 9v9 game (with AI players filling out the rest), and that was a TON of fun.

Quickie verdict:

Graphics: 6-7/10 (Yeah, it varies a lot. Consoles hurt the graphics, and badly. The bloom is way overdone, as is the lighting, but the does look really nice at times. Way too much orange though. Draw distance is very nice! Buildings can be destroyed, but not trees.)

Singleplayer: 8.5/10 (A little glitchy at times, not enough vehicular combat... Great atmosphere though. You really can choose how to approach your objectives at will.)

Multiplayer: 7/10 (In its current state, MP is dripping with potential, and there is some serious pulse pounding fun to be had. Right now though, the lag is horrendous because of no dedicated servers. Also, this morning the login servers went down for hours. FAIL)

Sound: 10/10 (They did a great job with all of the sound effects, as well as the voice commands [something ARMA fails at])

Music: 5/10 (There is some really nice music, but there is one track that plays on the MP menu screens that is horrendous. I've already heard people mocking it over VOIP. It's retarded, what on earth were they thinking!?)

I'm still glad that I bought this game, but I'm also glad that I only paid $32 for it. If Codemasters drops the ball and doesn't fix this game to its full potential, I think that's a fair price for what is there as-is. If they do fix things though, this could be a fantastic game!