Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some Characters and Props

After a mauling final quarter at school (still don't know if I'm gonna pass ><) , I got my site up finally. Please do give me some comments and crits. Except for the Baroness' hair. :P I know it looks like she mopped up the Valdez oil spill with her head.

Thanks.

http://gamegeist.net/shredart/

Replies

• slipsius
    way to much noise in the gi joe chicks suit. the normal maps are way too deep. same with the cow chick, though, i like her jeans.

also, probably not the best idea to tell potential employers you might fail :P
  • ShreddyM
    Yikes! It's not because of my work. I've been so damn sick this quarter that I haven't been able to GO to school! Anyway, yeah... Message to employers: I am NOT a delinquent! Now please give me money.
  • woogity
    yo need to work on your textures, too noisy, also your spec maps need work, there is very little material differentiation in your models, and the skin on your characters looks a bit plastic~y because your spec maps are off. this is an easy fix tho keep working on those and you will see much better results quickly. also avoid closeups unless they are just absolutely killer, show your assets at whatever range you feel they look best.

also your human skin is way to monotone, use refrence for tone variation. like the style of your characters tho, esp the western ones

-Woog
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice character designs, the crit I have to give is that I think that some fabrics may have too much noise. The noise makes the clothing show off more specular than they actually would, giving the models that grainy look.

Other than that good work! I'm still having pretty big problems myself texturing characters and clothing.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'd tone down the noise on the fabrics and add some dirt. That cowgirl looks far too clean. Adding some dirt and grime will really make the clothes look worn and used.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I LOVE T-POSE!
    ITS SOOO FREKIN AWESOME!!!!1111!

(something, ANYTHING. just not that man. They are characters, so pose them in character)
  • ShreddyM
    whats_true wrote: »

[Annoying large font omitted.]

(something, ANYTHING. just not that man. They are characters, so pose them in character)

If I was a rigger, I definitely would! It was tedious enough to lower their arms as they are now.

And as for the comments thus far, I would like to say the high bump - at least on the Baroness - was somewhat intentional. I thought it would look cool if she had that with a bit of toon shader. But that's all hypothetical, and coupled with the fact she doesn't have one applied to her in those shots...I guess equals double fail!

Thanks for all the crits so far (even this one, I guess :p). So how do I go about taking my existing nmaps and dumbing the bump down? Adjust the levels for each channel?
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    If I was a rigger, I definitely would! It was tedious enough to lower their arms as they are now.

I don't know a character artist who doesn't know even the basic necessities of rigging. Its like an environment artist not knowing how to light or an animator who can't rig. T-poses just don't impress much, even considering that you can learn even the basics from online stuff (and even the shortcuts too for posing like in Zbrush)
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I like it but yeah the normal on the baroness is way too deep!
  • ShreddyM
    Okay, here's an updated render.

BARONESS_SAMPLESHEET_015.jpg

Tried to go for that famous Adam Hughes Baroness pose with this one. Thanks to my homeboy for getting the rig done. Had to manually move the face verts though, but it worked out. Toned the maps down, too.

From what I know, if you're going to be a character modeler, you either have to learn rigging or animation. I know the latter. Not saying I'll never learn rigging, because I'm sure nothing is better than finally getting that static mesh up and moving. So yeah, definitely going to be looking more into it.
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    other comments aside I thought the cowgirl looked the best. But you need to make better looking faces, they seems plain not enough character in them.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    You got some nice T&A in your wiminz there. I like.
  • d00kie
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    s0id3 wrote: »
    other comments aside I thought the cowgirl looked the best. But you need to make better looking faces, they seems plain not enough character in them.

I agree wholeheartedly. The faces look rather plain and how shall i say like a "3d" character and not a unique, genuine character like appeal. Give the faces some defining attributes and i think it'd make your pieces all the better.
    Just google a random name or something and give your character's that person's face.

Also, maybe you could give your characters a pedestal to stand on. It'll bring some more life to them instead of the aforementioned and awfully amateur T pose.

THEY GOTTA LOOK NICE!
  • ShreddyM
    Yeah, I always felt the Charest character's face didn't have enough detail or form. I'll get on that.
  • torontoanimator
    umm, the silencers on the guns, they dont look textured, she however is sexy as hell lol
  • ShreddyM
    umm, the silencers on the guns, they dont look textured, she however is sexy as hell lol

You should look at the mac10 sample sheet on my site. Maybe I had mip-mapping on accidentally when I rendered that...