Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Drunk Character

Hello there,

I've just finished a game modeling course; this is my first game model and I would like some criticism please.

Its largely inspired by the Drunk NPC from Assassin's Creed modelled by mojette. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=048467

This model has been a great learning experience for me and I hope to learn more with your input.

Couple of crits I've collected so far,

1) the default pose of the arm is weird and I should straighten them out.
2) the folds on the tunic aren't convincing, I should work on emphasizing the gathering areas where the ropes/straps pin it down.
3) his wrists are way too thick, gotta make them thinner.
4) the eyes aren't convincing either, work on textures
5) his left elbow looks off, study more references.
6) his skin looks too healthy for a drunk, more dirt on the textures.
7) eyelids could be sculpted better.
8) seperate the head, arms and legs as their own objs before sculpting, to avoid high polycounts.
9) straighten the straps and ropes to indicate weight, right now they're floating.
10) alphas on tunic and cloak could be better painted, more tattered cloth references should be studied.

Render_DefaultLighting01.jpg
Render_DefaultLighting02.jpg
Render_Ortho.jpg
Render_Maps.jpg

Cheers guys!

Replies

• achillesian
    i'm not sure how the cape adds to the illusion of being drunk, i would however like to see drool and urine stains
  • thegreypencil
    hehe :)

I think puke too yes?

Thanks!
    gotcha!

2) the folds on the tunic aren't convincing, I should work on emphasizing the gathering areas where the ropes/straps pin it down.
    8 ) seperate the head, arms and legs as their own objs before sculpting, to avoid high polycounts.
    9) straighten the straps and ropes to indicate weight, right now they're floating.
    10) alphas on tunic and cloak could be better painted, more tattered cloth references should be studied.
    11)Drool and urine stains and puke to clothing textures.
  • achillesian
  • GugloPWN
    His hair seems a little too clean and straight.
  • thegreypencil
    Thanks GugloPWN and achillesian.

Thats a good point too.

8 ) seperate the head, arms and legs as their own objs before sculpting, to avoid high polycounts.
    11)Drool and urine stains and puke to clothing textures.
    12) Messy up the hair. I should try to finalise the poly hair and sculpt to blend to the finished poly hair pieces rahter than to make poly hair to fit the sculpt.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i don't like it. the highpoly sculpt looks like it was very lumpy, the colours are uninteresting and drab, the details are badly defined, and the lighting is plain. the shadows are too black, and the highlights too pink. the folds in the cloth can be better defined, especially on the soulder area. there's no ambient occlusion pass on the diffuse to make things sit better either.
    basically, spend more time on it, and look at other peoples work to see where you screw up.
  • Celes
    I think the legs might be a bit too skinny. Yeah I agree with the first 2 critiques regarding dirtying him up.
    You are doing the right thing accepting critiques and better your work. Keep it up thegreypencil.
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    jeez dejawolf, you really should think/read before you post :/
    being a "polycounter" by the number of your posts doesnt really give you the right to be a schmuck, you have to earn it- which is actually attained by not being one. I wonder how you would react if someone posted that same exact crit to one of your posts....

As far as crits are concerned, those 12 points you have are more than enough to up the level on this guy. I think its pretty solid as is tbh but if youve pinpointed some things and believe you could work on them and make them better, thats a great extra plus :) looking forward to updates.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    jeez dejawolf, you really should think/read before you post :/
    being a "polycounter" by the number of your posts doesnt really give you the right to be a schmuck, you have to earn it- which is actually attained by not being one. I wonder how you would react if someone posted that same exact crit to one of your posts....

i'd react the way i react now, because i've gotten these exact same crits.
    if you don't hear it, you'll be floating around on your ego, and you won't push yourself. its that simple.
  • GugloPWN
    It's tough love, everyone here just wants to see a filthier more disgusting drunk.
  • kodiak
    dejawolf wrote: »
    i'd react the way i react now, because i've gotten these exact same crits.
    if you don't hear it, you'll be floating around on your ego, and you won't push yourself. its that simple.

I'm always for a little tough love, but none of your crits were particularly specific or helpful. If you're going to lay down the pain, at least put some thought and genuine interest in improving the work behind it.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    kodiak wrote: »
    I'm always for a little tough love, but none of your crits were particularly specific or helpful. If you're going to lay down the pain, at least put some thought and genuine interest in improving the work behind it.
    quick paintover:
    feeblinator.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    quick paintover:
    feeblinator.jpg

dude, that paintover totally sucks.
    worst paintover EVER.
    i guess i just don't like drunk people.
  • thegreypencil
    dejawolf: hey man, thanks for taking the time. You're being ironic right? that paintover
    is awesome and really helps so thanks! Yea, I'll definitely spend more time on the next model, there was a deadline on this one so I had to let it go. Gotta work smarter and faster enxt time. Wasted too much time noodling around with the sculpt.

lay on the naplam man :)

I agree with kodiak though, you could be clearer with your crits, but I understand if time is an issue; so just say what you feel man.

Celes: Awesome, I'm taking that down. But I think the upper body should be skinn-ied down to fit the legs no? I went overboard with the musculature on the shoulders.

gugloPWN: Got it. The next drunk will have super sleep out in the wild, rats live in my hair hair.

buttsaihb: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll keep trying.

Got a question for you guys, what do you think is a good idea, doing a new model or should I redo this one and make it better?

Its feeling really old and boring for me right now but if its better to stick in there and work out the kinks I'd galdly do it. What say you guys?

Thanks!
  • 120Degree_Flip
    looks cool, but yea urine and drool, spit, and vomit on the clothing would be good...
    i threw up last night quite a bit and actually blew some blood vessles, and it got on my shoes alot....
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I think dejawolf's paint over helps, mostly it's the hair. By being neat and slicked back, it gives the impression of caring about his appearance. messy hair says "gimme the booze"
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i'd say shoot for creating poopinmymouth's avatar and you're got a successful drunk
  • achillesian
    drunkpaintover.png

heres my 2 cents, shitty, but maybe helpful dunno