Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg Bunny <TUT Making> .

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hello :)

i'm working on a 3D modeling Video Tutorial

A Cyborg Bunny , this is one of my old experiments :) , that was made on a one setting .

bunny-z001.png

inspired by EX Machina

review_applesnap_1.jpg

i will be making this as a Video Tutorial Series DVD

so the Head Video tutorial will be for 15 $ USD , and five series of files like this , what do you think , would you be interested in buying anything like this ?

I'm Using Blender , what do you think Guys ? .

Replies

• Helixx
  • ChrisG
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I think your a damn liar if your saying this is your work.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your a damn liar if your saying this is your work.
    the red robot is mine made with blender and exported to Zbrush , the figure that shows the girl sure isn't , it's from appleseed .

PS : what is special about the red robot , it's not that seriouse work , i can make even better than this .
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Do it, man! Make better than this, give it your all. :)
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I honestly don't think you're at the level where you can charge people for your tutelage
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    would people donate <in your opinion> then if i made it free ... ?
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    i think it would be a better suited question for the blender artist forums than here
  • Taylor Hood
    Trust me, I make tutorials on youtube for free mate and I only have 12 subscribers. No one is going to want to BUY video tutorials from you. I'm not trying to be mean but come on, honestly?
  • kickzombies
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
    lol lom chaos is absolutely right.
    plus think about your target, they like free stuff, hence blender.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mates , i like hearing various opinions , would be any donations then ... ?

give me your opinion about this product , would it sell ?

http://3dkernel.com/?p=275
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    People buy stuff from masters, if your not a TD for a big company or well known throughout the industry I strongly doubt you could sell something for $15,
  • Taylor Hood
    Uh hu, I agree. Its best to get recognised via Youtube, vimeo, cgtuts+... stuff like that. I know a nice guy who's been making tutorials for ages. People donate to him some times because his tutorials are very well done. Belias, try something like this perhaps mate?
  • Stertman
    make free tutorials first man, and if people love them and begging you for more then start selling them, i wouldnt buy a tutorial from someone i hadnt seen alot of awsome work by..
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Belias wrote: »
    thanks mates , i like hearing various opinions , would be any donations then ... ?

give me your opinion about this product , would it sell ?

http://3dkernel.com/?p=275
    It's not even a tutorial is it? It looks like it's a mesh for download.

Under the guise that it is a tutorial, compare that one page to the 12+ hours of free, downloadable video tutorials Racer's made.

With these kinds of things, it's *always* better to start them from the standpoint where you enjoy it, rather than wanting to make money from it.

If I were you, from the quality and depth of your work, I'd spend some time practicing with free content as you develop better grammar, better technique and a more realistic expectation of what people will want to pay for a generic anime head from a blog page.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    There are always people willing to buy models of any quality. However they are not modelers themselves, and there are existing sites with built in traffic flow for selling models, ie Turbo squid.

If you really want to try and sell your work, sell it there or some place like it.

Tutorials aren't really in a big demand. the eat3d and gnomon ones sell due to the ridiculous quality of the final products, and or the name of the person doing the tutorial.
    For me, the only thing that would get me to buy a tutorial, even from Gnomon, is if it is from someone I respect or know of, and also wish to learn from, as most of what I find I learn from video tuts and or speed paints, or recorded modeling sessions is thought process rather than tools or techniques. IE I found I model in a very similar fashion to sathe, (thanks to his free model recording of some of his dw4 entry) he just does it better.
  • EbolaV
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    what Vailias said. I would only buy tutorials if i really want to know how that person made it and it has to be awesome, or if its a person i respect cause of the artwork or i know.
  • praxedes
    I've bought plenty of tuts in my time but ONLY if they are from a recognised vendor, such as Gnomon or DT. I did buy trhe blendernewbies compilation DVD when I first started out and was using blender- but all the tuts were viewable in web quality for free; I knew the standard of the tuts and just wanted the better video resolution. Plus it was cheap :)

You are being hopelessly unrealistic I am afraid. If selling tuts was that simple we'd all do it :) Hell- I'm a qualified teacher and I wouldn't try it!

~P~
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a little tip. Go to google, search free tutorials and if you find better ones than you can make, it won't sell. Same goes for 3d assets. I have made countless assets and released them free for public use, I would never try and sell any of them because I am not a pro, have no industry experience and there is free stuff out there that is better than mine. Seriously, if you want to make money on 3d then you will need to invest a lot more work and practice.

Also, quality > quantity. Make fewer assets but better ones. I can knock out 6 - 10 generic sub standard models in a day but they teach me nothing and don't push my boundaries.
  • Taylor Hood
    Glynn really put it into prospective, Belias. Racer445 made a huge tutorial in an overall very good qaulity. He shared valuable tips and techniques on current gen weapon modelling and baking..and I some times wonder why its free. Once again Racer, awesome tut!

Belias, like everyone is saying here - Start with free tutorials. Simple as that. I'm doing that too but I actually don't want any money to be donated, I just enjoy it.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also another harsh truth - if you record vids, put them in perspective. Ask for criticism on the workflow shown in them. I would recommend not to call them "tutorials" simply because it might give you bad publicity, since by calling them that way you put yourself in a position of being a teacher, ad that could very well go against you if the quality is not extremely good ("Ooooh, you mean that one dude with the 15bucks tutorials, lol" < see what I mean here?). Why not record your stuff and share it here, other artists might suggest you some useful tips to improve your craft.

On the flipside, there is something very valuable you can use : it seems like you can handle Blender just fine from a technical point if view. I know that quite a few artists here who are interested in laerning it, but are turned down by how convoluted the workflow seems to be. Why not do a few intro to Blender vids. Showing how to edit geometry (nothing artsy, just step by step technical stuff performed on a cube mesh)

Good luck man, just try to be conscious of the quality surrounding you. Nothing worse than wrongly juging yourself.

And yeah, free stuff obviously, you're not exactly Gnomon material yet!
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Idea , thanks everyone , you are right .
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think the best way to make money like this, would be to focus on weirdo cliques goofy furry animal models with wangs or boobs, stuff like that, just make sure yours are better than the other freaky deakys being offered up for free and charge a couple bucks

sure the money you would make wouldnt fold , but hey, thats the price of wanting money for nothing, you get nothing for money
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I think your delusional.
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    why don't you propose to cgtutsplus and if your vid is accepted, you got $. Good luck with that.
  • Taylor Hood
    Guys, does CGTUTS+ pay in £?
    I'm very interested in making high qaulity tutorials for them.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    elte : do i get a 150 for every tut ? , i mean if i made this character with 4 episodes , do i get 600 ?
    i can't understand this specific point .

thanks , very nice idea , i have sent the suggestion .
  • Taylor Hood
    No...belias. I think if everyone done a tut and got 150 for it they'd be rich.. you have to make really good qaulity tuts with good comments and have it approved by the tuts+ staff. Its common sense. :)
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    botkb.jpg

I made this till now as a practice , fully narrated 38 minutes .

i know that some areas are fat and something , will be dealt with next tut .

what do you think ?
  • Taylor Hood
    perhaps you can put your stuff in a sketchbook
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    is that a criticism or a suggestion of opening a new thread ?
  • Taylor Hood
    ...obviously a suggestion :)
  • Snipergen
    You shouldn't make tuts because you want money, you should make them because you want to help people! Because now you are starting with the wrong goal :)

Anyways everything that had to be said has been said by other people. If you can make tuts like the guys that do them for eat3D, and have the same quality, than, yes, make some.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Common guys, we are talking about someone making anime characters on blender, does it sound familiar ?

I remember a famous character called leilei... over and over again. Banned, the same way, over and over again. Creating accounts over... you guess the story.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I made this till now as a practice , fully narrated 38 minutes . [...] what do you think ?

What are you waiting for? post it here already without asking money for it ffs, and you'll get feedback.
    You have a very strange attitude with this - you're asking for feedback but you're not showing enough to get it.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As others have said, and as a fellow blender user I have to say this, get back to the drawingboard, your focus should be improving atm.

the blender community, and especially blenderartists have quite a skewed standard, and some days I wish polycount could blow its standard load all over it.

set your standard at the polycount level, don't leave it at the blenderartist level, there is so much that could be accomplished.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    BeatKitano, this is the 3DGURU person also.

Belias (or whatever your name is), your model looks clumpy and poorly executed compared to the one in orange. Post up that video so we can see how your making this.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    @ snipergen : i like the first sentence , but do you know something , i used to do tutorials for free since 3 years , http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56842 , i like doing something for helping others , that's why i'm called 3DGURU .

@ beatkitano : we discussed this before man , thanks for your comment anyways .

@ pior : man , it needs compressing and uploading ... wait some time ... :) , i was asking for a critique based on the image , i have no problem posting the tutorial for free , but i will wait to see if i can make it to cg tuts + first :) .

i don't have any finicial difficulties , but it's a goal i want to achieve no more .

@ eld : yes , but do you know something , i'm just a Mechatronics Engineering 3rd year student , i don't have time to improve 3D atm , 9 days and the 3rd year will begin , wait Mechatronics Engineering is awesome too dudes .

when i graduate my university , i will marry a girl and teach her blender ( no pun is intended ) .
  • 00Zero
    oh not this same conversation again. its the same guy, same topic.

as everyone has said on this thread, and the other threads in which youve brought up the same discussion, nobody will pay you money for your stuff unless you are so good that you are already working at major film/game studios and have made a name for yourself. in which case, you probably wouldnt be looking to make tutorials for the money.

image.php?u=12760&dateline=1252370161
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    recording the second video tutorial , compressing the video and uploading .... stay tuned for less than a weak to complete the whole job :) .
  • Sputch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, yeah, I think your living in another reality frankly. I'm reminded of those poor people who blissfully strut their "talents" in reality show auditions, their confidence bolstered by a doting mother (Blender community) who sheltered them from real life's harsh standards.
    Polycount is your Simon Cowell (no offence, Polycount)
    I realize that comparison may seem unduly cruel, but you could use a little shake.
    Probably the only people likely to BUY such a tutorial are the same people crazy enough to think they could sell one themselves. BUSINESS PARADOX!
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously, what's your motivation in creating tutorial? if it's just another tutorial on modeling a character, I won't bother to buy since there are lots of them available nowadays.

Again, selling this video to end users and customers are not the right way of doing it. Unless you have big fans in your blender community, but wait.. isn't blender free?
  • Taylor Hood
    Get better. Make free tuts. Everyone comments compiled into two sentences, Belias :)
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    smells like troll
  • achillesian
    Belias wrote: »
    what do you think ?

tfo.gif
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    conte wrote: »
    smells like troll

Quote for truth. Thread lock might be in order.....
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    no, he's a real guy, he's not trolling, he's just trying to make money of an idea that isn't all too good.

don't go anti-trolling just yet.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    so Belias, what people want to hear from you here in reality is: "alright, I'm gonna do something new, make a new post, ask for feedback, correct accordingly and just start learning for real this time."

and if you really value your choice in making art, then you should humble yourself down and let it be an oppurtunity to learn from polycounters.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    i ask for thread close , i will not post similar thread hope this is fine by you .

thanks .
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    what happened to the magicians... and anubis?
  • Stertman
    put up a teaser video of the tutorial on youtube so we can have a look at how it will be...