Home Unreal Engine

Blended Box Mapping in UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
aphexx polycounter lvl 12
high fellows.
is there any chance to force a blended box mapping onto a material in UDK?
i'm sitting in front of the material editor and wonder what nodes need to be used.
in the end i need 3 new and planar mapped "uvw" coordinates that can apply to 3 copies of the maps that are used. but i dont find any matching node. the fading of each texture (coordinate) should be based on the falloff of the vertexnormals vs. uvcoordinates of the object (terrain in my case). so as soon a polygon is turned to much away from one "mapping plane" it will start fading to the other mapping plane.
i have to admit that i do not know very much about the different nodes of the udk mat editor.
anybody got a clue bout this?
thx!

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    iv had some success doing something like this.

world_coordinates_boxmap.jpg

the top part is doing various projections for xy, xz, and yz, and the bit bewloe was just a cheap hack to get a masks to use.

i got it made as a material function, so i can drop it into my material as 1 node and hook it up to my texture uv's.

doesn't look like much there, but works great once plugged into some textures uv slot, and i just got to parameters in there for the texture scale, and controlling how tight the transition between projections is.

i mostly use that for applying a tiling texture to a groups of objects.

if you search the udk content browser at the root for, "WorldAligned"

you will get a few similar material functions.
    that output the individual uv's for each side.
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    wow nice! thank you, i will try this out!