Home Technical Talk

Modeling Wrappings in 3DS max

My problem is simple, I'm trying to model a sword for a project. Simple enough, however the sword has a wrapping on the hilt. Which looks like this:
p4070073.jpg

However I actually want it to look a little like this:
m221786531.jpg

I also want to to one High Poly and one Low Poly so I can bake it together. However I'm unsure how to completely model an optimized clean wrapping like the 2nd picture, I'm even unsure how I'm suppose to unwrap something like that. Any advice would be suffice

- Thank you.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the high poly
    There might be some good techniques in Zbrush but not being a zbrush expert I'm not really sure.

Inside of max I think you could use splines with a bit of modeling afterward.
    You could use just a spline with "Generate Mapping Coords" turned on to give you some nice UV's to work with. You could apply a tile material and scale it in one direction.
    OR
    You could use that spline as a path, create your cord mesh as a long cylindrical object then apply PathDeform(WSM) and target the path spline. If you do this, you should pathdeform an instance of your cord mesh so you can still work on your cord while its flat and the twisted version will update.

Either way you will probably want to do some modeling after the fact to squash and shape it a bit. Probably turn on push/pull paint deform.

For the low poly
    You can just retopo as normal, the tools in Graphite Modeling Tools (included in max) are pretty good for this but you might want to check out the Max Retopo script (free) which will actively shrink your low poly mesh to fit to the surface of the high. Or check out Wrapit (not free but worth it) that has quite a few awesome features for making retopo easy.