Home Featured Artwork

My game has been released Joy Ride Turbo!

Replies

• cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you very much for this candy! goes straight to inspire folder :)
  • DanRoss
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thanks for sharing! Could you talk about some of the hurdles that the team had to overcome to keep a stable frame rate? Also, I love the particle effects that Ive seen. Could you share some info on that? Love the water on the dam!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    somedoggy, frame rate stuff below. Interesting question because the original art and budgets were built for the Kinect version, Kinect costs fps and memory, more than you would think. Our target was 30fps @ 720p with 4xMSAA.

Real time shadows are expensive, we're not deferred. Started with 4 cascades, optimized down to 3, only 2 in split screen.

Props turn off at distance solved pop in by growing them in, Farcry 1! Props only allowed one draw call, artist rule of thumb not an engine hard coded requirement, went back and texture paged older props to use a single texture/shader/1 draw call. No LOD's can't afford the memory, prop is either on or off.

Physics programmer limited number of active broken pieces per prop, very hard limit. Extremely low poly Havok collision hulls for broken pieces, hard to debug, not artist friendly, artists don't understand how to build an optimized hull. Havok again?!!!!!! Too many broken pieces active at one time spike frame rate.

Stu does view frustrum culling I believe, hides any geo not seen by camera. Tracks are loops which means at any time you can see most of the world, camera fairly wide, 60-70fov based on speed, measured horizontally, implemented volumes that when the car is inside it, turns off artist specified objects, helpful on some tracks not so much on others, great Maya workflow very easy to set up and tag groups of objects to a particular volume in game tool for testing, don't actually have to drive the car around.

Avatars are expensive, no option to optimize, global asset linked to a bunch of existing games. 4player split does not render at 720p, slightly lower to keep frame rate solid.

All particles are rendered at lower res buffer, common trick, but if you pay attention they can look pixelated really bothers in some instances.

Even with our cartoony diffuse art style we still had fps concerns!
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    looks awesome! thanks for the breakdown!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    So nice looking, and a great 'stream of consciousness' style breakdown as well ;) . Thanks!
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats Malcolm!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    How important was smoothing group assigmant for baking and game? I suppose that this operation was done by hand.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster, extremely important. For baked lighting it's the difference between looks awesome, or looks blobby/low res/unshippable light maps. The rule of thumb we use is if the edge is hard in the normals of the model you must cut that edge in the light map uv's to allow a clean separation between the light map edge to avoid smearing and stair stepping. Basically if you don't do this the baked lighting will fight with the hard edge you assigned in your normals often looking like a soft edge. Same is true for modelling, all those nice rocks the guys modeled looked shit if their normals were softened. The guys often started with an auto normals 30 degrees in Maya and then did hand clean up. Hand edited soft/hard normals were a must to make the game look good for the real time lighting and the baked lighting components.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there Malcom, congratulations on the game! I'm nuts for this art style. Really amazing, job!

Sorry, just now got to adding this to the wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceGameArt#Joy_Ride_Turbo_.282012.29
    Must be one of my favorite game art dumps:)

Oh and thanks Stu for all technical breakdowns! Really cool to see how you guys went around accomplishing this. Picked up a couple of new tricks as well.

p.s. dope concept art too.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Gorgeous looking game, especially liking the texture work.
    Congratulations to all involved!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I didn't know polycount had a wiki for game art dumps. Awesome, some amazing work in there. Thanks for adding us d1ver.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet I just came back from visiting family and I was playing the trial, my cousin wants to get it & told his nephew about it.

For me the trial was fun and I love this type of game play for cars, where you can throw them around and flip out I enjoyed this release, love the colors and art style perfect for kids too and It's been a while since I did any gaming.

Thanks guys!
  • doomstagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats, that is the best looking thing to be associated with Avatars. Props :p
  • mr.craft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.craft polycounter lvl 7
    Congratulation, Looking Fantastic. Love the details. \m/
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, every screenshot is like a work of art. You guys are really talented!
  • Elmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elmo polycounter lvl 8
    not gonnna lie..this looks awesome hehe good job
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    I'll be honest, when I first saw the screens, I said "This is soooooo Trackmania!"

But anyways the game art is awesome, congratulations. And the whole art dump is some serious s**t, I'll keep it for inspiration. :Q___
  • Aran Anderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aran Anderson polycounter lvl 12
    Love the colours! The desert terrain colours has inspired me to make a small hand painted Looney Tunes Environment.
  • NzambiKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations! Me and my wife are use Xbox live users and I have to say its great to finally see a purchase worthy game that uses the Xbox live avatars. The environments in this game look incredible!
  • Powerbored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks absolutely glorious! instantly added to my inspiration folder.
    I'm considering moving more of my art and design process into maya because of this.
    Just out of curiosity, what software/engine did you use to compile the actual game and how was the workflow pipeline from maya?
  • GhostWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice! I wonder what programs did you use to produce this title? I'm specifically thinking about the engine. I'm just now getting into the Untiy3D engine and it is lots of fun.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    My wallet says no... but my eyes say .. screw you wallet, you don't know what you're talkin 'bout
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing art direction, great use of texture detail int he foreground and simple block colours for the backgrounds. Really really top stuff :D
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Powerbored, the engine was built in house for this game we called it the Joy Ride engine.

The pipeline from Maya was awesome, one button click on the Maya self exported your current world, copied it to the xbox360 rebooted the box and launched the game into that track. You could set a config file for all sorts of other options too like skip front end, turn off hud, etc. All our tagging and mark up was in Maya so there was no learning curve it was a very simple straight forward pipe without any unneccessary crashes if you forgot to assign a texture to a model for example. We had a custom reference pipeline which also lived inside Maya and props could be updated throughout all levels without having to reexport the level they had been placed in just had to reexport the prop file. Collision was done inside of Maya as well with Havok's Maya tools.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostWalker, we used our own custom built engine, but I would imagine you could create this look in Unity, not too sure about the lighting though we had real time directional lighting and baked the indirect component of the lighting into light maps I'm not sure if that comes with Unity out of the box. But you could always just bake all the lighting, we did not go through route because we wanted high quality looking shadows and we would have run out of memory trying to get to acceptable resolutions with some of the bigger tracks. Strangely enough we had to tackle this problem on Kinect Sports 2 skiing and it was a major nightmare without the real time shadows.

In terms of art software nothing fancy here:
    -Maya for all 3D modelling and scene assembly.
    -Photoshop CS4 to create textures.
    -Nvidia Photoshop plugin to export diffuse and spec textures, there are no normal maps in our game.
    -Custom interface with Maya mental ray to bake indirect lighting to light maps and bake on a farm, direction lighting and shadows are real time.
    -Ati cube map gen to blur cube maps captured from game.
    -Debug menu in game to tune post processing.
    -Havok Maya tool to tag collision.
    -Some various custom Maya tools/scripts to help with repetitive non creative tasks.

That's about it really.
  • GhostWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    GhostWalker, we used our own custom built engine, but I would imagine you could create this look in Unity, not too sure about the lighting though we had real time directional lighting and baked the indirect component of the lighting into light maps I'm not sure if that comes with Unity out of the box. But you could always just bake all the lighting, we did not go through route because we wanted high quality looking shadows and we would have run out of memory trying to get to acceptable resolutions with some of the bigger tracks. Strangely enough we had to tackle this problem on Kinect Sports 2 skiing and it was a major nightmare without the real time shadows.

In terms of art software nothing fancy here:
    -Maya for all 3D modelling and scene assembly.
    -Photoshop CS4 to create textures.
    -Nvidia Photoshop plugin to export diffuse and spec textures, there are no normal maps in our game.
    -Custom interface with Maya mental ray to bake indirect lighting to light maps and bake on a farm, direction lighting and shadows are real time.
    -Ati cube map gen to blur cube maps captured from game.
    -Debug menu in game to tune post processing.
    -Havok Maya tool to tag collision.
    -Some various custom Maya tools/scripts to help with repetitive non creative tasks.

That's about it really.

Cool, Thanks for the information! I should really check out that Nvidia plug-in for photoshop. Adding a specular map and of course quality texture can take an average model to a great model.
  • plaintextures
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plaintextures polycounter lvl 11
    very nice, love the colors...
  • hosfeph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the nice silhouettes on everything works really well.11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So cool, perfect rendering: FIVE stars :D ✰✰✰✰✰
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    am gonna buy this game, cus i got 20$ dollars in my pocket.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • attanze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing game. Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox to play with.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for taking your time to do such a write up.
    As a person that's getting knee deep into making games all I can say that posts like this are nothing but info gold mine and a massive motivation.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    those cars look amazing...
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    The art is solid! Good job!
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very excellent style!Just like a cartoon movie!
    Well done,man!
  • Sardu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sardu polycounter lvl 5
    I hate to repeat but this is awesome. Your use of color is exceptional.
  • yesupatham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yesupatham polycounter lvl 4
    Wow!!! Stunning Art Work
  • led2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE FUCKING ROCKs...I LOOOOOVE THIS :D
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    such a colorful & beautiful game! good job!
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing graphics and it looks like gameplay is fun. I will be buying this sometime for sure :)
  • lukesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment models look awesome! Looks like you got it out just in time to get some purchases before XBONE.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    great art! very nice!
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThunderClouds polycounter lvl 9
    Environment art look awesome !!!! I might spend more time looking at those beautiful landscape than actual playing the game lol .
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic stuff, amazing environment direction and execution!!!
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work!
    It would be popular!
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    awesome gonna check it out this weekend nice style of art work!
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Love the style and art direction. A+