Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coal Miner Character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
Alright Polycount, here is the lowdown. Ill be turning 18 this summer and am looking into applying for an internship at one of the studios around my area. My portfolio currently only has lowpoly mobile game character work in it, so Ive recently started doing a lot of sculpting practice.

I decided I might as well give a full next gen character a go! The high poly sculpt still has A LOT to go, but Id really like to get some feedback on what I have so far. So here he is, my coal miner:
1-3.png

I still want to do a lot more with his face, shoes and overalls as well as give him a pick axe. Cant wait to hear your guys thoughts, thanks.

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice start, just going to echo what Dustin said with a paintover. Anatomy needs fixes along with proportions. Clothing looks okay, but it didnt make sense to me that his bracers weren't connected to his dungaree's but they were still staying up on one side. Would be nice to exaggerate the folds on the trousers a bit too?
    minerpo.jpg
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys so much for the crits, massively beneficial! Here is what Ive come up with, really happy with the changes. Thoughts?
    5.png
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got him all baked accept for the eyes.
    5-1.png

Ive never textured a next gen character before and I would love any advice on where to start that anyone might have. Not really sure where to go from here.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Still not sure about the proportions, but others have said enough about that.

Anyway, I hope 3k polys will NOT be next gen.

For texturing, you could start on the highpoly and use its occlusion as a base for the low.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrgiht so Im going to start by acknowledging he sucks. The face itself just needs to be sculpted better, which Im not guna fix at this point. However I would love to hear what you all think of the texture, and what you think I can do to improve on the character over all next time.
    5-3.png
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im no character artist, but it doesn't look like he has really spent to much time down in a coal mine, he seems to clean.

Keep going with it ! :)