Replies

• Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    Disting wrote: »

Here's the texture layout as it looks right now:

uOPIX.jpg

R Channel: This is the ambient occlusion map. This is multiplied over the diffuse, specular and reflections.

G Channel: This channel contains details like support beams and so on. I made this so that I wouldn't need to use geometry for all the small details.

B Channel: A basic, tiling detail map, applied to diffuse and specular. I also use this to add some detail to the sand.

A Channel: These are the highlights. I'm still not sure if I should use this or not. Could most likely use this channel for more important stuff, but I liked the look I got from applying this layer.
    That's pretty nice dude!
    And ..."Right now I have a 128x128 normal map for the sand, and a 64x64 for the tracks"... how it's possible!? ( too low)
  • vreza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreza polycounter lvl 12
    Banner material!
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Great job. Nothing to say, just do what you've been doing!
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking the colour palette a lot and the design of the ships/pylons but overall the scene for me is missing purpose. I cannot tell if it is a crashed ship site or pylons. At the moment I'm thinking pylons as in the image they are composed as parallel repeating shapes.

My suggestion would be to clarify the idea behind this work more and then adjust the piece accordingly. As a bunch of randomly placed assets it's really nice.

If a stronger idea defines the scene giving it something to say it'll be a fantastic image and not just nice 3d work.

Questions to ask:

How long have the pylons been there ? Why are they there, what is their purpose ?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the clarification on the maps! Im not sure i understand fully though.
    Do you have your diffuse/norm/spec. then in the same file, edit the R,G,B channels and use UDK somehow to use them on the material? I know you can plug certain channels in in UDK, but i dont know of a way to edit the R G and B channels.

Everyone seems to understand this method but me :S If i could trouble you for material UDK setups or a Photoshop screencap to understand id really appreciate it. I feel like such a noob
  • systemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    systemic polycounter lvl 7
    This is great - wonderful concept and great start. I'm curious how you've made the dunes... did you make them with the terrain tool or are they meshes?

Looking great, keep it up!
  • systemic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    systemic polycounter lvl 7
    Also, I definitely agree with you on less clouds. The orange/blue contrast is really what sells it, for me.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I really love this thread and everything you got going, but I want a little more. I feel like a little past where the person is standing should be like a little shack or an enternce to a underground facility as a focal point.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the clarification on the maps! Im not sure i understand fully though.
    Do you have your diffuse/norm/spec. then in the same file, edit the R,G,B channels and use UDK somehow to use them on the material? I know you can plug certain channels in in UDK, but i dont know of a way to edit the R G and B channels.

Everyone seems to understand this method but me :S If i could trouble you for material UDK setups or a Photoshop screencap to understand id really appreciate it. I feel like such a noob
    I hope that this helps clarify how to put different grey-scale information into each colour channel in Photoshop:

87Wu8.jpgcu3eX.jpgUh76z.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I love it! And you get extra pints for being SO efficient with your textures!
    The footprints don't really have a natural gait to them right now. They should be staggered rather than side by side. It looks like someone hopped through the desert.

Agreed.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    wow, that junk is so sexy :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Wiktor, you are one of my favorite game artists of current times! :) Everything you do has a really cool identity.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm really glad to have you as a friend, you're very inspiring. :)
    [HP] wrote: »
    Wiktor, you are one of my favorite game artists of current times! :) Everything you do has a really cool identity.

+1
  • Scorpyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scorpyx polycounter lvl 12
    I like these shapes - they give a strong sense
    Nice work Disting - Keep it up