Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Depression-era gas station. Critiques encouraged!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
This is something I started quite a while ago and I'm concentrating my efforts on getting it finished up to help my portfolio. I'm treating it as more of an exercise in texturing than anything else. I'd like to stay out of zbrush as much as I can and concentrate on getting the details across in my textures.

Main Reference: Photograph taken by Dorothea Lange

MainRefSmaller.jpeg

I'll be posting images of the models and textures as I get my first pass on them completed. Thanks in advance! :)

Also, I'm relatively new to this forum, so if I'm presenting these assets incorrectly or if I leave out anything you need to see, please let me know.

Replies

• kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the first couple props that I've revisited. Diffuse only so far and unlit.

Chairs.jpg
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reference images is great. Tons of nice details to work with... If you are dead set about staying out of zbrush then you might want to get out the digital camera and go find some nice detail textures.
    The geometry on those simple props looks fine so far, but I think you are going to need higher quality textures to pull it off. Also, baking a little AO into the texture might help if you do not plan on tiling it.
    Looking forward to seeing more of those details. :)
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply timspanjer! Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, but I have been finding some pretty nice reference online. When you talk about having more detail in the texture, what types of details are you looking for that you can't find here? Are you talking about things like nails or cigarette butts or is there something in the wood itself that i'm not getting across?

Here's the reference I was using when painting these textures. I've circled the areas where I took most of my ideas from.

chair+reference.jpg
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another updated diffuse and the model to go along with it.

planks.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    Hi! I love your reference picture for this scene here are a few things i pointed out.

-chair is leaning to much would break instantly once sat on. a little lean is good adds character but make it believable

-add some more polys to the seat of your chair and round it out like the referance you provided shows.

-the wooden bench has no nails holding it together.

-the textures look painted on try using a little bit more photo sourcing when it come to your stool and chair.

-define the texture on your stool seat. it is hard to tell if that is supposed to be wood or leather.

keep up the hard work :)
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @michaelmilette: Great feedback, thank you!

-chair model: roger that. I'll fix that lean and maybe put a brace towards the top across the back two legs to help the believe-ability.

-bench texture: there are some nails in the backrest and seat already. I'll make them stick out some more.

-general texturing: I'm trying to stay away from photo-sourcing as much as I possibly can. I'd say about 99.9% of all my texture work so far has been hand-painted. I agree with you though, there is something missing from the stool and chair textures. I'll give it another pass and see if I can oblige your critique. :)

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more update before I call it quits on this for the night. :)

signs1.JPG