Home General Discussion

Hand Painted texture skills

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I wanted to have a discussion about hand painted textures. Amazingly, they still seem to be in high demand but now with everyone focusing on high poly "next gen" (well, current gen) artwork there is a lack of people with the skills to do it.

I'm suggesting for any hopefuls who are looking to get into the industry: get some hand painted stuff in your portfolio.

but maybe I'm just super lucky or my Charisma of 18 helps me get work, so share some of your thoughts.

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I would absolutely love to get into a job that focuses on the art of the videogame, where I would be able to paint textures.

Congrats on getting a job, very inspiring to hear that. It's very intimidating seeing how everything is heading towards super realism.

Also, I saw that Warhammer prop on your page. Did you work on the game or is that a fan piece? Either way, it's awesome!

And...not to derail/spam the thread, but it would be cool if you could give me pointers on the hand painted environment I'm doing > http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98076&page=4

Seeing as you've broken into the industry with hand painted, any secrets you could share?

:D
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Real men hand paint normal maps, too.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I always try and keep my portfolio filled with the type of work I want to do at a job. Which is mostly hand-painted 'cartoony' stuff. And so far it's worked out that way. Still trying to figure it out and get better at it. I worked at a studio for a long time that had a texture painting department, so I didn't do any textures at all. And feel that area was a big weakness of mine that I'm still trying to work out.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Let's bring back the sdk threads :) not the sticky, individual ones!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've always preferred a nicely painted texture over a beautifully sculpted mesh.

Funny that painting seems to becoming a lost art
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Justin do you mind talking about where you're finding these openings? Seems like most job posts I come across require Zbrush experience, so if demand for hand-painted stuff is high I don't see it. :/
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i always thought it was weird how no-one's tried creating a hand painted "sculpt"? I would love to see something like that, i just don't like the lighting info in the hand painted textures.

I'm sure there's ways to get the same hand-painted nostalgic feel, with a high res model, but this may just be me? I think what i'm trying to convey is that there's a lack of experimentation when it comes to hand-painted techniques, and it's also super redundant calling it hand painted. i mean every map i do is hand painted!? (except for like cavity maps and what not)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    snow, Justin an i both work at kingsisle and we are constantly hiring, and hand painted textures are the main thing they look for http://www.kingsisle.com/jobs
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog: ;) this wasn't a "got a job" thread, I've been at the same place a little over a year now. Yup, I worked on WAR with Rhinokey and a few other polycounters. As far as your thread, it's looking great, keep up the good work!

Snowfly: MMO's man! Blizzard looks to be hiring all levels of character artist for WoW and like Rhinokey mentioned, Kingsisle is hiring too. Tencent Boston, 38, Carbine, and Trion all look for good painting skills as well.

Alberto: everyone knows what we mean when we say "hand painted" :-P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    haha yeah i know... i'm just busting balls. :P
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Justin!

@Rhinokey, thanks for the link. I am going to bookmark that and spam you guys with my stuff once I graduate.

Hand painted sculpt....eh...I dunno. Definitely worth the experimentation, but I honestly think it would look muddy. I tried a very basic normal map on a brick texture I did, and when I looked at it, all the painting I did seemed to be drowned out by the normal map. However, that was just a very stupid quick one.

In one of Jessica Dinh's threads, she used a normal map on a hand painted texture, and it looked freaking awesome. Only downside is it took forever to hand paint the normals
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read most places that focus on 'last-gen' art pay poorly (except those doing MMOs). I'm not really sure if there's any truth in that.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    I'm glad you brought up this topic because I really enjoy hand painting textures but I'm unsure about its future. I guess the best bet is to make sure you have that zbrush experience under your belt even if hand painting environs is your dream gig, but I'm speaking from very limited professional experience.

Justin your texturing skills are sick man
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Why do people keep referring to handpainted as an MMO thing???

Unchartered, Last of Us, Max Payne 3, and Brink

all incredibly beautiful games that have all their textures handpainted. It might not be toony but the skill to paint everything properly should be style-flexible.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    There definitely is a demand for it still. Though most of the freelance work I get is sculpting though these days. I think it's good for Artists to have a mix (at least entry level). Hand painting is just like scifi art or realistic photo-based art. In that it's not every Artists' thing. For someone focusing on being a hard surface modeler to do hand painted does seem a bit off. Personally I've always enjoyed hand painting work and I tend to gravitate to that the most. it's definitely my thing.

Also Facebook/iOS games tend to use this style as well. People forget about those type of games. Just cause it's not AAA Console/PC doesn't mean it's not a game! Some of those hand painted games look awesome.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There will always be room for stylized games with a painterly look. And like Del said, those same skills used in diffuse only models transfer over to the higher poly normal mapped stuff as well. Good stuff to know. If I was just starting my career over again, I'd learn traditional art skills first before I learned the technical side of 3d and game development.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yep. Fully agree here. I think the reason Hand painted works is that it keeps the project from being an 'also ran'.

Glad I did my art training the way I did.

It will be interesting to see how Hand Painted stuff stacks up in ten or twenty years. Will it continue to evolve or stagnate into a number of recognizable styles (i.e: WoW)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Hand Painted stuff won't go anywhere, infact, it can only improve! Having extra space for 2K map on a character vs the 3/5 needed for next-gen chars should be incentive enough.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Del wrote: »
    Why do people keep referring to handpainted as an MMO thing???

Unchartered, Last of Us, Max Payne 3, and Brink

all incredibly beautiful games that have all their textures handpainted. It might not be toony but the skill to paint everything properly should be style-flexible.

Just to try and answer your question, it's because assets created in the MMO-type of hand-painted stuff are diffuse-heavy. Meaning, the asset and the artist relies on the diffuse map to convey what the material is.

The assets you're talking about, like those that Naughty Dog does, rely on the shader to convey what the material is. Which would include several maps, including some of the more exotic ones, and where the diffuse texture plays only a small role.

Since I don't know the workflow to create textures at Naughty Dog (I would love for someone from there to talk about it btw), I have to guess that they're using manual methods, "hand-painting", to produce textures that are as good or better than photo-sourcing.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of those approaches. I just believe that's where the difference in definition comes from. When most people say "hand-painted" they mean the MMO-type, even though other games technically do paint their textures by hand, because that's where painting is the most visible. They paint the lightsource in and all that.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWKEN - Painted Textures
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I'm going to have to chime in and say that you should make sure you don't go too cartoony/stylized with things when you hand paint unless you want to force yourself into a certain niche.

Like skylebones said- 'keep your portfolio filled with the type of work you want to do at a job'
    And like Del pointed out- not all hand painted textures have to be games like WoW, Kingsisle games, etc

I don't know, it really all depends on YOU and what YOU want to do. I love hand painting textures, but I also love sculpting just as much (on top of wanting to stay current-gen). There definitely aren't many companys around that do this and I recently had to struggle quite a bit looking for a position where I could still do both.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I've honestly never really understood how people can heavily photo source textures aside from the occasional environment textures or some light overlays to give a bit of grit.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I hand paint all the stuff I do and I really can't think of a better way to do it. Hand painted stuff gives you complete control over your textures, so they don't have weird shadows and color balance.

Granted, I also bake out tons and tons of maps to use as the basis for masks and selection layers when I make textures, so I suppose that helps. I really just don't understand how people can use straight photos when they do anything having to do with texturing. Especially when making characters. Shit's ugly, dude.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I always assumed things heavy on photo sourcing were done more for time than quality.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Darksiders 2 and the whole weapon competition that was just on polycount.

Handpainting skills comes into play at all levels, even when doing realistic stuff and utilizing photo-sourcing. It helps you manipulate the image way better, or paint things in that weren't there to begin with.

Not having those skills will just end up with the artist going "I have this thing I want to make but there's no photo for it"
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I've honestly never really understood how people can heavily photo source textures aside from the occasional environment textures or some light overlays to give a bit of grit.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I hand paint all the stuff I do and I really can't think of a better way to do it. Hand painted stuff gives you complete control over your textures, so they don't have weird shadows and color balance.

Granted, I also bake out tons and tons of maps to use as the basis for masks and selection layers when I make textures, so I suppose that helps. I really just don't understand how people can use straight photos when they do anything having to do with texturing. Especially when making characters. Shit's ugly, dude.

It's a lack of information, coupled with getting used to certain techniques.

As for me personally, I have an understanding of hand-painting most materials in the MMOesque cartoony variety. Skin, metal, wood, cloth, etc. But creating realistic textures manually has always eluded me. After watching Racer's tutorials and the Mashru Mishu Street Cop tutorial I understand better the process of manually creating textures like that for current-gen photo-real normal-mapped assets.

Though it seems that with that workflow it's more like using Photoshop's tools to create a texture, not so much painting it in the traditional sense.

Then for skin there's the old Michael Knowland tutorial which I still find very effective. And I was never able to achieve a similar result without photo-sourcing. Of course that's not to say that it's not possible. Just that I'm ignorant as to how to do that.

As far as hand-painting stylized textures on top of sculpted assets, again there's a serious lack of resources. For instance, I was totally psyched for the Vigil Nights videos when they sculpted the sword. I really wanted to finally see someone paint the textures for such an asset. But the videos stopped after the sculpting. Same exact thing for the Gnomon DVD by Vitaly Bulgarov. It says he will cover texturing in the second DVD, but that never came out.

So yeah... I think there's a serious lack of resources on the subject. Seems like everyone stops at sculpting, and there's very little documentation about the texturing part.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I still do it.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    So yeah... I think there's a serious lack of resources on the subject. Seems like everyone stops at sculpting, and there's very little documentation about the texturing part.

luckily, painting has been around for about 32,000 years, so... You just need to broaden your scope, you'll learn how.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLk3Kh1xM6g&feature=relmfu"]Oil Tutorial: Eyes in Oil with Craig Nelson - YouTube[/ame]
    moose wrote: »
    Let's bring back the sdk threads :) not the sticky, individual ones!

I tried to revive this one! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41931&page=9 more of you guys with mad skills need to bump the old ones.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luckily, painting has been around for about 32,000 years, so... You just need to broaden your scope, you'll learn how.

That's not what I meant. There's a difference between painting with oil on canvas and using Spotlight in zBrush to project textures.

It's a question of workflow, not of theory.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    dii wrote: »
    I always assumed things heavy on photo sourcing were done more for time than quality.

Yeah, same here. You can paint in lots and lots of details but it's gonna take longer if the map is huge and you really need to do the details right.

I prefer doing a mix of both, I paint the map and merge in photos for the details and such. I could paint that too but it would just take so much longer. On my hand-painted lowpoly characters however I usually don't use photos but if I do it's mainly for the shapes and what not so I paint over them in the end.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Del wrote: »

Unchartered

lol it should definitely be called Unchartered.

I agree with BigJohn. When we refer to handpainted, we refer to the style that represents a lot of the finished look (bar some lighting) in the finished diffuse map. Basically like having a bitchin' (hopefully) digital painting projected onto a mesh. Maybe it's not the best term for it, but I can't see any other term replacing it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    That's not what I meant. There's a difference between painting with oil on canvas and using Spotlight in zBrush to project textures.

It's a question of workflow, not of theory.

Or it actually is.

Materials can change things around a bit, but when it comes to the knowledge of shape and lighting, which are essential to it, the rest are just tiny technical details.

These skills essentially rely on your ability to give shape to what is in your head, you'll have the ability to know how a form would look on paper, and how it will be lit with different materials, after that it'll transfer to any medium and any program with ease.
    Andreas wrote: »
    lol it should definitely be called Unchartered.

I agree with BigJohn. When we refer to handpainted, we refer to the style that represents a lot of the finished look (bar some lighting) in the finished diffuse map. Basically like having a bitchin' (hopefully) digital painting projected onto a mesh. Maybe it's not the best term for it, but I can't see any other term replacing it.

Very often, but you'll also see someones handpainting skills put to use on high end next-gen models as well, and that could be in combination with an ao bake and a few photos overlays.

Actually: more often than not; people with strong traditional skills will produce a better result of a texture when it comes to shader-heavy assets.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Or it actually is.
    These skills essentially rely on your ability to give shape to what is in your head, you'll have the ability to know how a form would look on paper, and how it will be lit with different mate ...
    Actually: more often than not; people with strong traditional skills will produce a better result of a texture when it comes to shader-heavy assets.

This!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    eld wrote: »
    Very often, but you'll also see someones handpainting skills put to use on high end next-gen models as well, and that could be in combination with an ao bake and a few photos overlays.

Yeah, we know that 'current-gen' textures are often handpainted. My point was it may be a slightly innacurate term, but it's here to stay, and I was just specifying the particular style of texture painting that it refers to.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's not forget skin textures, I yet have to come across an artist that manually created the skin texture, even with reference sampling, from ground up and it looked bad vs. outright straight sampling which kills alot of the underlying 'feel' of the texture, not to mention, automatic algorithms for skin density and stuff like that for your specialized shaders end up looking usually pretty crap and require too much clean up, which painted from the beginning would save you alot of time.

So yeah, painted textures can have alot of meaning in this day and age, you're not limited to cartoony textures for be scratch made.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But are they really "painted" at that point? It's more like reconstructing the skin layer by layer using whatever tools you get with Photoshop. Masks, textured brushes, etc. That's a bit different than traditional painting where you put down the final color of the surface depending on the lighting, form, material, etc, that you have in your head or that you observe from reality.

Manually constructing something like skin in Photoshop will obviously give you more control over just projecting some 3dsk textures. But it's also a more complicated process, that (as far as I can tell) has very little to do with traditional painting. And it's not very well-documented at all, as opposed to the texture-projection methods and the MMO-esque diffuse-only texture painting (which has more in common with traditional painting).

My point is just that there's a lack of documentation about that method, that's why you see it referred to less. I'd love it if one of the Naughty Dog guys could record themselves making a skin texture (or pants, or leather, or anything) and put it online. I think many of us would learn a lot from it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we won't see some of that in Food for the Eye.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then what do we call them? Hybrids, since you're not exactly sourcing, but using the tones to recreate the everything? I started using that term not too long ago but no one picked it up, unless you happen to be an Anglo-Australian reviewer with a chip on their shoulder apparently ;P
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ive been working a lot in the hand painted styles recently and i have been enjoying it immensely, its a good departure from gritty realism ive been used to working with. Its been a challenge to get the style down and make it look good and i intend to keep working on the style to get better at it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think it's wise to learn various styles of texture creation from hand painted to photsourced. There seems to be an increasing demand for photo sourced stuff anyway.
    Lets face it most next gen stuff tends to be process led,with a separation of specualar/diffuse. gone are the days where you just painted everything in , including the fake lighting.( unless you are doing more cartoony old skool stuff)
    I personally tend to do a hand painted base layer then overlay photos on top. its really hard to do a pure photo source texture that does n't look a bit dirty.
    For skin particularly I use less AO overlays, but tend to use more for cloth and other mechancial stuff
    another issue is size, who wants to hand paint a 2048x 2048 from scratch. i tend to start at 512 and then size up, adding the photo stuff later

When it comes down to it though, I do whatever the art director wants or I don't get paid:)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im not talking about style, just the production of natural looking textures

im going to say something that might get a few peoples backs up here:
    "you cant achieve the same natural look with a handpainted texture as you can with a photo"

now its a stupid thing to say as its very dependent on the artists ability in either field

BUT real things contain an infinite amount of info gained from existing in the world for a length of time... handpainted stuff has what the artist comes up with and the random/talented imperfections that come from painting...each method (done correctly IMO) comes from a different end of the scale, handpainting requires more and more time to add imperfections etc to look really natural, photographs require alot of time (or decent capture techniques) to remove lighting make tile/ and you still need to produce a normal map etc in most cases as the styles going to be realism.

most artists i know use a composite of the two depending on several factors
    - is it a real thing/do you have reference
    - how natural is it (will it take longer to paint lighting out or handpaint lots of natural detail in)
    - what fidelity is needed for final product
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was specifically talking about the old school process - that contrary to popular opinion there seems to be a high demand for it in the MMO industry at least.

The type of texturing that requires you to have drawing/painting skills, there was a recent thread were a lot of people expressed the opinion that drawing wasn't a fundamental skill. I have my doubts that those people could reproduce the work seen in games like Diablo 3 or the beautiful art in Allods Online.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was specifically talking about the old school process - that contrary to popular opinion there seems to be a high demand for it in the MMO industry at least.

The type of texturing that requires you to have drawing/painting skills, there was a recent thread were a lot of people expressed the opinion that drawing wasn't a fundamental skill. I have my doubts that those people could reproduce the work seen in games like Diablo 3 or the beautiful art in Allods Online.

I really haven't ever perceived, from the outside, a lot of job postings like that. Kings isle sounds like heaven, but aside from them and some intense korean studios I haven't really noticed too much texture painting work floating around. If I did, i'd have put together a 3d portfolio by now!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...there was a recent thread were a lot of people expressed the opinion that drawing wasn't a fundamental skill.

One of those was me. But the context was different. There it was about practicing your 2D, say drawing, to indirectly improve your 3D, say zBrush sculpting. Which I think doesn't necessarily apply. I know it doesn't for me, so I don't consider it a fundamental skill.

But the context here is painting, color and material. So of course traditional painting and drawing will help you a lot there. Which is why I'm practicing it now and am curious about all these different workflows.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really haven't ever perceived, from the outside, a lot of job postings like that. Kings isle sounds like heaven, but aside from them and some intense korean studios I haven't really noticed too much texture painting work floating around. If I did, i'd have put together a 3d portfolio by now!

I basically just avoid any job descriptions that mention zbrush or normal maps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I've always preferred a nicely painted texture over a beautifully sculpted mesh.

Funny that painting seems to becoming a lost art
    I really like it when people combine the two.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Diablo 3 just shows us that we can still have ONLY diffuse color on games. Specially with that parallax effect. (rock, cliff edges, trees etc)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I really like it when people combine the two.

Agreed
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I gotta say it gets annoying when texture painting in stuff like WoW or Allods doesn't get enough recognition, I heard people say "I wouldn't play that, too cartoony" or "the graphics suck" - they never take into account how much work and skill goes into creating these textures in the first place :D
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Torch wrote: »
    I gotta say it gets annoying when texture painting in stuff like WoW or Allods doesn't get enough recognition, I heard people say "I wouldn't play that, too cartoony" or "the graphics suck" - they never take into account how much work and skill goes into creating these textures in the first place :D

qft.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or when everything painterly is called 'WoW' Style. Makes it sound like the art is a ripoff and takes no work.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    Or when everything painterly is called 'WoW' Style. Makes it sound like the art is a ripoff and takes no work.

QFT