Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Adam Hodgson - back to digital

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Naugat polycounter lvl 12
Howdy there!

I suppose I'm an oldie around these parts. Mind my monologing for a moment while I tell you a story;

Thanks to Polycount, 10 years ago I got a job at a games studio called VIS Isle of Wight (a mauled version of the now shining Stainless Games). For a chap of 16 it was great, games! I couldn't do more than put polygons in order, but holy crap, games! Thing is, I had the artistic ability of a mule and I hadn't finished education. So (with not too much pressure from the family) I gave up games art (and therefore Polycount) before the VIS studios imploded and got back into school for something real and solid, you know, like Science.

Four years and one A Level in Biology later I found out science wasn't anything like Half-Life made it out to be. So plan B; "let's learn to draw on paper, everyone knows real artists can draw on paper". So I drew on paper. Lots of paper.

A further 6 years on and a traditional animation degree later (where else do you draw on more paper?), I still haven't learnt to draw. But with the degree done it's about time I started using computers again and showed my face back on Polycount. So without further ado, 8 years later, here begins my re-entry into digital art and the Polycount community - it's been a long time guys :\

TL;DR - gave up Polycount and digital art 8 years ago, took up traditional art study for the last 6, now I'm back at the digital and back on Polycount, hello again. Crit me! I'm rusty.

So first, here's a look at the paper stuff I've been doing, starting with my first life drawing.

WgNXP.jpg

And a few years later:

xEhmj.jpg

Tk7gH.jpg

iYTE2.jpg

1DKUa.jpg

qf5Zl.jpg

And more recently

qC6Xv.jpg

WGdil.jpg

kKZMx.jpg

70P68.jpg

k7Ra2.jpg

Replies

• Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty much the first piece of digital I did since giving up, drawn for a layout assignment a year back.

Maya for perspective grid with a SAI paint over

Layout01.jpg
  • Zelzaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What can I say, obviously an impressive improvement. Your studies and sketches are downright beautiful.

You did the perspective grid for the digital piece in Maya? The perspective lines of the cross on the wall in your digital piece seem a bit off to me, but i could be mistaken.

Welcome back to the digital world, looking forward to see more of your stuff!
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zelzann - and yeah it's a bit confusing, the walls bow out (supposed to be in a ship) and it throws things off. Working with a 3D program for perspective can create a lot of tangents you wouldn't think about just jumping in.

Guess the thing to learn from that; just because it's right, doesn't mean it'll look right

Clearing the backlog; Here's some studies from last summer made with GIMP - photo studies, round brush, nothing fancy

SoldierFace_02.jpg

Lady.jpg

Amelie.jpg
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Jeez you have some slick artwork going on in here! Your life drawings have really nice weighty lines, and the forms are gorgeous. Your pen drawings are a lot of fun and your digital studies are looking nice as well. Can't wait to see more from you man, and thanks for giving out such awesome advice and critiques!
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gillmeister, I'm a big fan of the old pen and ink artists like Bernard Partridge and Heinrich Kley - currently I'm having trouble finding the right tools though, nobody makes the old nibs to the same quality anymore.

Speaking of tools, more studies made in GIMP, experimenting with some custom GIMP brushes. GIMP has some brush features Photoshop doesn't have (multiple alphas that can be randomised or attached to certain inputs (pressure, tilt, etc)), which is surprising, but on the whole it's pretty lacking and doesn't give much control.

Study of casual Bruce Lee

tumblr_lwgpj83kCw1qmd72co1_500.jpg

and some quick 5min studies from Al Jazeera reports

tumblr_lwazgt34vX1qmd72co1_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_lvhjdkfaFJ1qmd72co1_1280.jpg

I've been told to try Painter but looking at the brush creation tool it's confusing as hell. Do any programs have a kismet style node based brush editor? That'd be cool.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool sb man! Eager to see more.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    heaps of cool stuff here nice improvment haha
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Pulling together some stuff for a possible events caricaturist gig, thought I'd post it over here too. Good old real media.

Caricature_line_up_02.jpg

Caricature_line_up_01.jpg

Caricature_line_up_03.jpg
  • madrigal2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work. I also do drawing on paper so i have some suggestions.
    When drawing portraits with one side of face in shadow, you wand to put the shadow over the eye so that one eye is darker than other.
    Also eyes are spheres so you want to add subtle shadows at corner of eye (same as shading a ball) and beneath lids. You have some of that shadows on digital portraits but you need it more on the corners
    cheers!
  • Naugat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks brah, noted. I always forget how dark the eyeballs are when working the paper :)