Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Does anyone know if the source code for the engine also includes the source code to the editor? And can you submit patches to Github?

If so I might take a crack at porting the editor to Linux this spring break.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim

Yes, lighting builds are threaded so you can continue working using the editor while Lightmass runs.

Jed

Yep, it's full source code. Editor and all.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Looks amazing and seems like a great value at that price point.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yes, lighting builds are threaded so you can continue working using the editor while Lightmass runs.

Made my day sir!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Equanim wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting my hopes up, but does that mean you can continue to work on things like materials while UDK lightbakes in the background? Because that would be fantastic.
    You can work on materials, particles, you can even play in editor or work on code.

Though Lightmaps is still quite a bit of set back for me, I would not switch UE4 for anything else.
    Now that everyone can contribute to code, there is always a chance that someone will figure out dynamic GI :D.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    I've been looking forward to trying the new Kismet/Blueprint implementation for awhile... it seems like game-wide visual scripting could open a lot of doors. Will pay the $20 just to get to play around with that a little bit.
  • CognizanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    Froyok wrote: »
    Yes : no more free version.

So even as an artist that just wants to make presentation renders?
    Or practice making levels?

They're seriously pushing absolute beginners away from UDK.
    God forbid the UI itself will take time to get accustomed to, like...every other UDK.

That's oppressive.
    I'll be purchasing toolbag 2 once, instead of paying $190 just for 10 months of UDK.

-And unity and cryengine are still free, right?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    20$ for one of the most powerful engine in the market seems very fair to me to be honest.
    However I understand that some people would like to try it out before paying anything.

(Especially since it requires a powerful computer to use it smoothly.)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    not sure if this is true or not, but i read someone saying you can cancel at any time, and still keep using it for free. You just dont get any updates. So you could pay $20 and cancel, use it till a useful update comes out, then pay another 20.

$20 is nothing when compared to every other program you need in this industry. If you`re serious about this career, just get it.

If you`re short on money, there's always unity 5. I think they still have a free version. but its still not anywhere close to unreal 4.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus christ people. If you can't afford 20 bucks for a full on game engine than please find another hobby.

If your goal is to only use this to build levels, display folio work and never ship an actual game than just pay 20 bucks, download it, cancel subscription, make art and enjoy.

I honestly don't understand the outcry people are having and the confusion this has brought with this news. Everyone is so god damn cheap with something that is supposed to benefit your career path and help you get a good job. 20 bucks is one hell of a deal.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    What I'm curious about is if it is possible to make a whole game using the blueprint system. I've already spent time learning C# and Unity and C++ looks like moon runes to me.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    ceebee wrote: »
    What I'm curious about is if it is possible to make a whole game using the blueprint system. I've already spent time learning C# and Unity and C++ looks like moon runes to me.

Yes, go a few page before in this topic. You can see a talk by Hourences that show its game project "Solus". Entirely made with blueprint.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee

Yep, some of the sample games we included are entirely made with blueprints. It's totally possible.

Blueprints is so far beyond what Kismet was, it's not even remotely comparable. :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Equanim wrote: »
    The pricing plan doesn't bother me. TB2 is more than worth $85, surely forking over $19 for the freaking UDK once in a while isn't the end of the world.

this is $20 per month, not a one time payment of $20 (which would be insanely cheap)
    TB2 is one time payment.

I can afford $20 per month sure, but i wont be using it every day of every month. i might use it once in a month at best which is why i asked about it being free. it isnt like i am developing a game with it.

anyways, i might end up getting it since there is the option to cancel it anytime.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It's not just $20 though it's twenty dollars monthly. So every month I have to put down another $20 just to continue to learn and make myself ready for the job market. No thanks. It's silly they were making more than enough money before when it was free now they are just alienating artists ( who by the way will produce the stuff that actually makes people want to use the engine).

Edit: Just read further you need to pay 20 buck every time you want an update essentially. Still pointless, but not as bad.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like nobody is reading the thread. :) If you don't want updates just sign up, download, and cancel. $19. You're free to use that version until the end of time.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    It's not just $20 though it's twenty dollars monthly.

This isn't true though. Just pay the $20 one time, the software works forever. You don't get free updates, but if a big feature release comes out you just pay the $20 again. This has been said so many times!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^
    ^ lols. sounds like an absolutely fair deal to me!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    It's not just $20 though it's twenty dollars monthly. So every month I have to put down another $20 just to continue to learn and make myself ready for the job market. No thanks. It's silly they were making more than enough money before when it was free now they are just alienating artists ( who by the way will produce the stuff that actually makes people want to use the engine).

you just literally stated the exact reason to purchase (subscribe) for 20 bucks and then cancel after. So yes a 1 time fee of 20 bucks.

If you can honestly say that 20 bucks a month or even here and there to get the updates you want is too much money for your career and to learn and better yourself than you should REALLY consider another career path.

Also this is a tax write off people....
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like nobody is reading the thread. :) If you don't want updates just sign up, download, and cancel. $19. You're free to use that version until the end of time.

^^^^ Yeah same feeling here.
  • majic12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    majic12 polycounter lvl 10
    I just saw this today.Did the udk page and all of its content(and valuable posts,gems,etc.)got replaced with ue4?Im in a panic becouse ive been away from internet for a week and i find this..
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

A simple explanation will ease my heart attack.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    what is the limit of polygon/vertex/triangle for each static mesh?
    are we still on 65k vertex limit?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using UE4 for about the last year now, and its pretty great.
    I have to say all the negativity and whining about 20$ to license for a month is kinda crazy and irritating. That is an AMAZING deal, really.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire

No, that limit is gone.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    While I do feel that the 20 dollars a month is more than fair, and I am pretty stoked, let's not get to the point where we are being inconsiderate and ignorant of other peoples needs and aspirations. I know a few people who literally can not afford the 20 bucks, but want a job very badly. They have Student Loans, A family with kids, and tons of medical bills to pay for. Let's stop this "OMG IF YOU CANT AFFORD THIS YOU DON'T WANT IT BAD ENOUGH" stuff. Let's stop shaming people who have a legitimate concern about price. Not everyone is as fortunate as Me, or you. Lets not lose that perspective. Don't be ignorant.

With that said, I am very excited to get home and play :)

Thanks Epic!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    xvampire

No, that limit is gone.

7LhZUfx.png

thanks for the confirmation
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you can honestly say that 20 bucks a month or even here and there to get the updates you want is too much money for your career and to learn and better yourself than you should REALLY consider another career path.

Ends up being $240 a year, which isn't bad. A better solution would be to just resubscribe every time a new major update comes out that interests you, or once you want to start a new project, which might be more like 2-4 times a year, or $40-80.

I do like more flexible pricing models, I think people are just a bit sad to see UDK not being free anymore.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's mostly reverse sticker shock...20$..does this mean I have to make a blood pact with Satan and dedicate my firstborn to Cthulhu as well...it's a great deal, for some fantastic software..it's nice to see Epic coming in line with the philosophy that anybody can afford a high tier game engine ..can't wait till i have time to check it out
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Downloading now.

Cryengine is not ready for prime time. I could give you a list off issues but basically it's good for showcasing artwork but not for making an actual game. Every release in 3.5 so far has had a showstopper bug. Plus if you don't use 3DS Max you're in for a world of pain.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Given UDK3, most of the updates were fairly minor. A situational bug fix here or there, maybe some optimization on the back end somewhere else; things an artist never sees or cares about. Major changes would drop maybe once or twice a year, like an overhaul to the terrain editor. Nice features, but nothing you couldn't wrap your head around in a day, especially if you were familiar with the old version. Companies know that.

As a user, it's up to you to look at what changes have been made and make a judgement call as to weather or not they affect you in any significant way.

If you make a living with the engine, you can also write your subscription fee off in your taxes.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    that's really awesome :) great move by Epic
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    iniside wrote: »
    I honestly can't fanthom why would anyone use anything other than UE4 for A+ game.
    It just crushes Unity at this point, for this class of game. Hell, it crushes Unity for if you want to make any 3D game..

I would probably use Unity only if I was about to make 2D game.
    There's no reason to fanboy a game engine, a developer SHOULD ALWAYS pick an engine based on the needs of their project. Unity and UE4 are both incredible game engines and I'm glad they're both backed by awesome devs that are actively improving them both.

I was really turned off by the $20 subscription fee but after seeing that the $20 a month only brought updates I have absolutely no hate against it. Sure, being free would be awesome, but people need to think of what this means:

1.) We will see more meaningful updates at a faster rate.
    2.) People will be more likely to post help/tutorials/etc. in the forum discussions because they put money on a product rather than just downloading it and having it sit on their desktop for years.
    3.) I'm sure we'll see bugs patched at a faster rate.
    4.) Epic will now most likely provide more support meaning there will not only fewer problems with the engine, but when there are, we actually have somebody to turn to in order to get realistic solutions.
    5.) Backing money into a project will increase the motivation to see it to completion.
    6.) If you do finish a project, the new royalties system will let you keep more of your profits versus the older one.

It's also important to realize that you don't need every update out there. I just last week updated my Unity project from Unity 3.x.x to the latest version of Unity 4, and all it did was break components in my project and it replaced my stable, functional MonoDevelop with the shitty updated version that is slower and crashes frequently (but it looks prettier...so that's something I guess.)

You have to remember that at the end of the day, game engines are still tools. New types of lawn mowers come out all the time but I'm still using the one I purchased 5 years ago and it's still getting the job done at a satisfactory rate.

That being said, you don't need to pay $240 a year to get all the updates because chances are, you don't need all the updates. How many big game changing updates could possibly come out in a year? I'm sure all major studios using this engine will pay the monthly subscription, but for the indie developer or regular non-studio affiliated user like myself, I probably won't pay more than $60 a year.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg. Today I learned how outdated my hardware is. Yeesh.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

sorry, didnt read carefully.

if that is the case, then it is very cheap.

for example, if you cancel PS CC subscription you cannot run PS at all.

it is just confusing to call this "$20 /mo" ?
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Omg. Today I learned how outdated my hardware is. Yeesh.

*laugh* is it that bad?
  • mache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mache polycounter lvl 7
    Apparently EPIC doesn't want my money, every time I try to subscribe, I get "Payment is declined".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Random subscription question, if you cancel your subsription, is it immediately canceled, or is it just set to not auto-renew. Like if I bought it today, canceled today, and an update came out in 3 weeks, would I still get it?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, so since the NDA is off, I would really love to hear about some things that were previously secret. Namely Networking and UI.

- Networking: Has this changed at all? None of the promotion videos I've seen in the past year touched on this. I'm specifically curious about how replication is handled with Blueprint now, and if they moved all the networking/replication stuff to Blueprint.

Also, the basic architecture. Is it still the same as UE3? Can it support more flexible gameplays now?

- UI: Is it still Scaleform? If it is, I'm assuming the Kismet hooks moved into Blueprint, but what about the previous Unrealscript stuff?

Also, what about the old pre-Scaleform system? Is that completely gone now, or does UE4 has its own basic UI system?
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I want to use Unreal Engine 4 because of far you can push your games, but I don't know how I would make a profit from it. I'm looking how realistic my game on the marketplace would do compared to how many games are out there. If it is a decent game and visually pleasing I have no idea how many sales I would make to make having a subscription worth it. (I'd be a single person developing games - at least for now)

Edit: I'm not looking to have my sales of games my main source of income in life, I plan on having a secondary income to support myself and pay bills, while I
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    How powerful is Blueprint really? I've seen the video of the air plane "game", but how far could you actually take a game by just using Blueprint? Gonna check out the marketplace's "demos" of it once it finishes downloading.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    - UI: Is it still Scaleform? If it is, I'm assuming the Kismet hooks moved into Blueprint, but what about the previous Unrealscript stuff?

Also, what about the old pre-Scaleform system? Is that completely gone now, or does UE4 has its own basic UI system?

Scaleform is gone, but you can still buy a licence and integrate it yourself.
    UE4 now use a built-in system called "Slate" to manage the UI. Both for the Editor and In-game context.
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    How powerful is Blueprint really? I've seen the video of the air plane "game", but how far could you actually take a game by just using Blueprint? Gonna check out the marketplace's "demos" of it once it finishes downloading.

Blueprint allow you to create anything. From controlling the player to creating a door or a storm effect.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Tekoppar wrote: »

Ditto, this is what I'm curious about as well. I watched hourences' video and saw the other top down game somebody internal made in their free time but is it really possible to make a finished game without it or is it more of a prototype builder like most node based programming things I've used?

I'll probably just have to try it out myself, but right now for indie dev I'm kind of a skeptic...as an artist I'm really happy to see it being so affordable :D
    Blueprint allow you to create anything. From controlling the player to creating a door or a storm effect.

I realize this watching the presentation Hourence's did, but does "creating anything" mean create efficient and finished games or does creating anything mean prototyping anything? What I took from the presentation is that it's not optimal for final output and you'll eventually need a programmer to come in and make it cleaner or more efficient, and then you can implement that code back into blueprint?

This seems nitpicky but I'm genuinely curious as there isn't much information on it yet other than downloading it and trying it out (which I will do).
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scaleform is gone, but you can still buy a licence and integrate it yourself.
    UE4 now use a built-in system called "Slate" to manage the UI. Both for the Editor and In-game context.

This is great news really. Scaleform was a major obstacle in the last project I worked on.

Do you know if there's any info out there on Slate? I can't seem to find anything on youtube or the wiki on it.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great news really. Scaleform was a major obstacle in the last project I worked on.

Do you know if there's any info out there on Slate? I can't seem to find anything on youtube or the wiki on it.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Slate/index.html

Only that.
    But hey, it's still far more than in beta :D
    Slate is really obfuscated with macros and not-so-well documented delegate system.

I still can't get my head around Slate. I see the potential, but to make nice lookig gui with it ? Not yet. It's mainly created for C++ programmers, other people will likely run screaming.

As for Blueprints. Yes you can make entire game with.
    Would I recommend such apprach ? Maybe. For more simple game.
    For anything more complex than 2D platforem, I wouldn't.
  • Ragsza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like a real idiot for asking this, but how do I actually launch the editor? I have the Home Community, Learn, Marketplace window open. What now? Don't see an editor button anywhere? :P

EDIT: NVM seems like a syncing issue.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also when anyone gets the chance to play with it, are there any example scenes or projects included with the engine?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunch of. Including Elemental Demo, for you own pleasure of looking for you jaw for next month ;)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Slate/index.html

Only that.
    But hey, it's still far more than in beta :D
    Slate is really obfuscated with macros and not-so-well documented delegate system.

Wait, that stuff looks like how they built the editor. I'm talking about making a UI for a game.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, that stuff looks like how they built the editor. I'm talking about making a UI for a game.

It used for in game UI and for editor.

Yeah I know what are you thinking now :D
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    ceebee wrote: »
    I realize this watching the presentation Hourence's did, but does "creating anything" mean create efficient and finished games or does creating anything mean prototyping anything? What I took from the presentation is that it's not optimal for final output and you'll eventually need a programmer to come in and make it cleaner or more efficient, and then you can implement that code back into blueprint?

This seems nitpicky but I'm genuinely curious as there isn't much information on it yet other than downloading it and trying it out (which I will do).

Both, Blueprints are compiled in the end. If I remember correctly it's as fast at the Unrealscript.