Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Bland screen shots :(
    Hopefully it'll look better in motion.
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Mood in there reminds me of Snefer's baroque scene.

Found one demo if anyone wants to try out voxel cone tracing.

http://simonstechblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/implementing-voxel-cone-tracing.html
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Gotta admit the Shield demo was really smooth, the thing that kinda gave it away for me was the flares, which i'm not saying looked bad at all, just familiar lol, anything else really hard to spot... we definitely need more demo's showing off the new capabilities and also the toolset, common Epic, show us more stuff, need Willard, the tech demo Wizard... :p

Oh and nice find Money, as always...^^
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money wrote: »
    Mood in there reminds me of Snefer's baroque scene.

Found one demo if anyone wants to try out voxel cone tracing.

http://simonstechblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/implementing-voxel-cone-tracing.html

Yeah this seems really, really awesome and definitely sounds like the future. No more countless hours wasted doing lightmap uvs and baking, weeeee!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Figured I'd bump this thread with something JordanW posted in WAYWO.
    http://www.mutantspoon.com/

tumblr_mihx1bQ2hy1qdvj5lo1_1280.jpg
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Saw it in Edge magazine, but thanks for better pics, shading looks insane there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Was there any writing with the screen shots in Edge? Anything worth mentioning?
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    There is one comment where they praise Jordan for SF2 scene, and it also says
    "His latest piece, seen here for the first time, is rendered in UE4 to show off subtle shader effects and distinct material reflections made possible by, among other things, global illumination".
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Here's the updated demo for the PS4 announcement

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8saq9O4pWPQ
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Looks like a significant downgrade to me from the previous demo : /
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The previous demo was running on a top-spec PC, so it could do more.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    why is everything so shiny? i hate when models look pristine, yet they have scratches all over them... :/
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    why is everything so shiny? i hate when models look pristine, yet they have scratches all over them... :/

JordanW cleaned and polished his helmet before showing it off.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    SO with the PS4 doing the elemental demo, someone did some comparisons between the fidelity of the PC demo and the ps4 one.
    ue4.jpg
    Pretty close :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very funny....
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting in the new version is completely fucked. They've also culled the relevant post processing (and replaced it with cheap horrible flares/bloom?) and there are hardly any particle effects.

Yeah, that doesn't look good at all. Just compare the archways on that door as an example - the material seems to have changed, but worse, where's the specularity gone?

Edit: is that *actually* a shot of last nights demo?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    The bottom picture is a shot from last nights PS4 demo yes, the top one is from the PC demo from last year. Motion blur and stream artifacts might have made it look better than it did, maybe.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's awful :/

Just look at his shins, it's like they forgot the normal maps...
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Camera moved too fast in that demo, add motion blur and video compression to that it was really hard to see anything well in that destruction flyby because of the blurriness. Only shot I did like however was with SSS. Better pics here:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/02/this-is-unreal-engine-4-running-on.html

1361436248-4.jpg

Also what happened here, those brick textures look all blurry

1361436248-1pxr5y.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The Unreal 4 tech demo was really underwhelming. Looked like it could have been done in UE3. The Samaritan demo was much better!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't get it, the Fire lord seems to be missing Normal Maps, and there is a distinct lack of self-shadowing on the model.

Not to mention, looks like someone forgot about using proper metal looking spec values, and forgot how frozen Archways aren't going to have too much Oren Nayar (Roughness) going on.

This isn't a technical limitation, you can see from the Ice lord part on the SSS, Normals Map, Spec, etc that the engine is still capable of all of those effects, yet the first part of the video is missing all of those.

Any reasons? Did Epic forget to Cook the packages for the Fire lord, and left all the assets back at their studios, because UDK hilariously decided to break 'link' with packages that might have moved?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    i think. i may be wrong, but i have a feeling it was more about showing of the vfx capabilities.
    i kind of feel like they feel the ue4 demo is a bit of a lost cause
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    yeah I was very suprised when I saw the UE4 demo. The fire lord part looked TERRIBLE, not even UDK quality. The ice lord looked better with the SSS and such. But very underwhelming demo.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Had to go look up clips on youtube after seeing this last night to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Yup, it looks like ass. They clearly only seemed to care about showing particle effects and SSS... BUT! I'm hoping over the next year they should be able to get some better lighting and quality for ps4 builds.

Biggest thing on my mind however - will UE4 UDK allow us to publish for PS4?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    highly highly doubt it
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Publish in what sense? Because publishing have very little to do with UDK and Epic if you don't have a large sum of money in your bank account to afford the licenses and kits from Sony/MS for the console.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Devkits will still be a thing, Sony kind of hinted at dev kits possibly being cheaper

"We usually don't talk about the pricing of the dev kit. But yeah, I'd say it can be cheaper. But I don't know if it's cheap enough for those indie guys. Because it's not just the cost of hardware, it's also the SDKs and tool chains and dev support and all those costs."
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    In the PS4 announce they did discuss how they want indies to be able to publish for it easily (the easiest console to publish on, or something like that.) If they count iOS publishing when they're saying they'll be indie-accessible then they may have a way to deploy to home machines.

I still think the best change for unreal engine 4 is going to be the editing changes. Being able to code while the engine's open will bring a lot of people from Unity back to Unreal.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I know I keep asking this, but has there been any word on whether Unreal4 will be able to publish for Linux? Maybe now that they're talking about PS4 publishing they'll mention Linux as well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I don't know, I read a couple of posts on Reddit from indie Dev's, and they all said the same thing, which is that Sony and MS assert total control over you at the end of the day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18irx0/the_minecraft_test_how_to_tell_if_your_console_is/c8fcm4v

Take it with a truckload of the salt, but even if only half of what is being is said is true, that is out of many people's league.

UDK will do very little to change this, so yeah, I think the more interesting question is will the latest iteration of UDK will have at least a way of getting an environment package working under Linux, especially with Valve trying to push, and the PS4 sporting a PC like architecture this time around.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I know I keep asking this, but has there been any word on whether Unreal4 will be able to publish for Linux? Maybe now that they're talking about PS4 publishing they'll mention Linux as well.

I would massively doubt it. Linux isn't a platform game developers will consider for a huge pile of reasons.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't know, I read a couple of posts on Reddit from indie Dev's, and they all said the same thing, which is that Sony and MS assert total control over you at the end of the day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18irx0/the_minecraft_test_how_to_tell_if_your_console_is/c8fcm4v

Take it with a truckload of the salt, but even if only half of what is being is said is true, that is out of many people's league.

UDK will do very little to change this, so yeah, I think the more interesting question is will the latest iteration of UDK will have at least a way of getting an environment package working under Linux, especially with Valve trying to push, and the PS4 sporting a PC like architecture this time around.

That reddit post sounds 100% accurate to my experience with them. I've personally witnessed all that stuff he's talking about, albeit not all at once like he says. But still.

So yeah, that's the main reason the new Valve push for Linux sounds so exciting to me. The only thing missing is a proper engine (though I hear Unity will let you publish for Linux), and that's why I hope to god UDK4 will let you publish for Linux, even if the tools themselves don't run on Linux.

I know it's been done with SDL, which I believe is the guy working with Valve now on their Linux stuff. So it is possible. Just sounds like a pain in the ass, and I'm really hoping Epic will make it a bit more streamlined.

Edit:
    Actually, I wonder if the new Unreal4 stuff, like global illumination, are Direct3D-dependent, or if they'd work with OpenGL as well.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Oh I had completely forgotten about this thread, cool, so now i can voice my disappointment over that little 'demo', so yesterday i finally watched the Killzone: Shadow Fall demo and I was both blown away(by the quality) as well as disappointed that an "In-House" engine could produce that and Unreal Engine 4, the engine that was supposed to redefine the next-gen, would produce that abominable piece of work(except for the last few seconds, and i'm talking specifically PS4 here)... the only excuse that i could come up for them was that they had very very little time to do it, otherwise, well, i'm just sad...

And wuts up with these In-House engines, they're popping up left and right...

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) First Gameplay [1080p] TRUE-HD QUALITY - YouTube
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato wrote: »

Use your head - people are developing tech in-house because third party solutions that already do what a company needs to do now are not available yet. Middleware takes time to develop.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter

Most studios I have worked at use their own engine. I have only used UE 2x over the course of my career and both times it has been heavily modified. most of the time in house engines are awesome at doing one type of specific game, but are hard to change to do different genres, part of the reason you see studios continually making the same type of games ex: criterion and racing, guerilla and fps etc.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    @ambershee... I was mostly implying that apparently it's become much more easier and/or feasible to develop your tools, even if it's the whole engine, and even if it's next generation in-house instead of working with the current available tools and/or license the soon to be released tools compared to the past, where only a handful of engines had dominated the market, i.e. Unreal Engine...
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    @PixelMasher... Makes sense and i agree, it's just that it seems to me that the number of serious, big budget end-to-end engines is starting to grow more rapidly compared to a few years ago, and that's both interesting and kinda worrying, to me... but then again I admit I'm mostly watching the industry from the outside, so it very well may have been always like this...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ambershee... I was mostly implying that apparently it's become much more easier and/or feasible to develop your tools, even if it's the whole engine, and even if it's next generation in-house instead of working with the current available tools and/or license the soon to be released tools compared to the past, where only a handful of engines had dominated the market, i.e. Unreal Engine...

This isn't the case. Developing tools is expensive, and developing engines even more so, which is why licensed engines like UE3 often win out when the intended product can be catered for by them. It's common for the developer to modify said engine to their needs.

The lack of UE4 games isn't an indicator of anything other than that developers don't feel it's worth adopting yet. The first boxed retail UE3 game to hit a console didn't arrive until a full year after said console (Gears of War), and consider that Epic developed the tools and the game simultaneously much like other developers would. With the notable exception of Rainbow 6: Vegas, the first non-Epic UE3 games didn't arrive until two years after the 360. Most studios at this point would have been using their own tools and pipelines.

The next console and games are likely to be exactly the same.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    I see, makes sense, to be honest I watch UE4's tech walk-trough every once in a while and visuals aside I can not imagine a more intuitive environment to work in (having used UDK extensively, in comparison), and that very well may be the reason why Square Enix licensed it despite having developed their own engine(which many people bashed Unreal for looking not 'as good' when it was demoed)...

So visual capability isn't the only factor the studios take into account, but still it is the most important to most end users and I don't know if Fortnight would do justice to the real visual capabilities of the engine, neither will that title from Zombie Studio... let's face it, Unreal has a reputation for not being very good at rendering realistic looking things, skins in particular, and so far they haven't tried to address that in any of the demos I've seen so far(although that Shield demo looked really good for a mechanical object), and that kinda worries me, nonetheless I probably won't look for a second elsewhere when it's finally released to the public no matter how hyper-realistic another engine's renderings might look, at that time, you know what i'm talking about...

Those things aside, I'm dying to know if they'll keep Material Editor the same way it is now considering it's a fully deffered system now... they should do more demos of the engine itself...
  • Oniram
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The advert was longer than the teaser.

Also, the character appears much like one from Mortal Kombat.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    aargh I never go on gametrailers anymore cause of the long unskippable ads :( it was a nice 4 second video, lots of dof and motion blur so I cant see much but I guess thats the future :)
  • TDub
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome ive not seen an ad on the internet in over a year. :D

i actually liked the teaser. got me excited for whatever it could be. my insticts to go shadow complex or something samaritan-like. or even a new unreal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oniram wrote: »
    http://adblockplus.org/en/chrome ive not seen an ad on the internet in over a year. :D

Please disable adblock for polycount, their ads are not invasive and small, and they barely cover hosting costs.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    TDub! Looks hardcore! The hands always being held up is a little annoying, but that looks like an instant classic. Do want.
  • artthoumadbrother
    Makkon wrote: »
    TDub! Looks hardcore! The hands always being held up is a little annoying, but that looks like an instant classic. Do want.

I agree with you, The game looks promising but it bugs me that the character has both her hands up all the time.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just saw this lil vid this mornign. pretty awesome:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr2oHPSJ0m8"]Unreal Engine 4 - »Infiltrator« - Tech-Demo zur UE4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    its pretty... i like this better to showcase UDK4 than the other one.