Home Unreal Engine

UDK Landscape Menu Missing

Ive been trying to create some landscapes in UDK , but have come across a problem that my landscape editing menu isn't there??

It should like the UDN one.
LandscapeEditDialog.jpg

I read the article about inserting a command line into the editor, but am unsure on how to do this.

Any help would be great!

thanks.

Replies

• SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Firstly, what version of UDK are you using?
    Secondly, how many landscapes do you have in your scene?

As far as I'm aware, that dropdown box is merely for swapping between your created landscapes for editing.
  • MichaelElphick
    It's the May 2012 build,
    Just the one that I created in world machine 2017x2017.

Yeah the box is not there though,which is the problem,it seems to be only usable when a command prompt is put onto the editor,but can't seem to find it.

It's there on the June 2011 version , but am still unable to use the tools to edit my mountains, smooth etc.

thanks.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you just import your landscape as a static mesh?

As the Landscape Editor only works with UDK-generated Landscape objects, otherwise how is UDK to know what you define as a landscape and what is just another static mesh?

You can bake out a Height Map from World Machine and apply that to a terrain using UDK.

Importing a Heightmap and Layers on the UDN.

Hopefully that's helpful and I'm not completely misunderstanding you :)
  • MichaelElphick
    Yep thats what i've done, but the menu it's self isnt there.

Landscape_Select.png
    Landscape_Select_Menu.png

It's just not there, it doesn't pop down so I can choose the landscape to begin editing it. The 'Landscape Selection' box.

thanks
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, balls.

Have you tried reinstalling UDK? [/unhelpfulcomment]
  • MichaelElphick
    I've tried that too, oh well maybe my computer (dual boot mac), does't agree with it , back to zbrush sculpting landscapes!

thanks anyway SirCalalot.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose rolling back to an earlier version of UDK would be the next option.
    I'm sorry I can't be more helpful :\
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    I suppose rolling back to an earlier version of UDK would be the next option.
    I'm sorry I can't be more helpful :\

NO - it's NOT necessary ! Just open LANDSCAPE TOOL and make new land -
    keeping in a mind "Those Recommended Landscape Sizes"
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html

after this You will get all brushes etc.

Works fine for me ; even import HEIGHTMAP ! (509*509)

:poly142:
  • CarolHKim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a different problem but related to the menu. The landscape tool menu comes up but when it does part of the right side of the menu is gone. The menu looks off-centered and I have no idea how to adjust it. I'm currently using the Feb '12 version.
  • wes.sau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep thats what i've done, but the menu it's self isnt there.

Landscape_Select.png
    Landscape_Select_Menu.png

It's just not there, it doesn't pop down so I can choose the landscape to begin editing it. The 'Landscape Selection' box.

In the May 2012 build, the selection box will only show up when there is more than one Landscape Actor currently loaded in the level. So if you have only created one landscape in the level, it will not show up, since there isn't a need to select the active landscape because there is only one. You can even drag-clone the landscape actor in the viewport to make another landscape actor and you will see the landscape tool update to have this dropdown selection box.

If you still can't use the brushes on your single landscape, does the actor show up in the Scene list as a Landscape type?
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    The landscape menu can get screwed up and not display properly if your Windows Fonts are displayed at Medium or Larger. To check, go to Control Panel -> Fonts -> Change Font Size and make sure it's set to "Smaller - 100% (default)"
  • CarolHKim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    The landscape menu can get screwed up and not display properly if your Windows Fonts are displayed at Medium or Larger. To check, go to Control Panel -> Fonts -> Change Font Size and make sure it's set to "Smaller - 100% (default)"

Thanks! I think that's what the problem was.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    create a shortcut to the editor on the desktop.
    Open the shortcut's properties. Under the "shortcut" tab there's a pane called "target".
    at the end of the target path add a space and -landscapeedit
    should work. I've been using march 2012 for a while and haven't used landscape yet..so it's been some time since i've messed with it.