Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Grant Thompson, Environment/Prop Artist

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys posted a few things on here before but im coming to the end of my University degree and we have an assignment for our portfolio and I am going to be looking for a full-time job in the games industry. So I thought I should at least get my portfolio out there properly for you guys to critique!

Im looking for general layout critiques all the way through to work, anything that should be added that is'nt, just let me know guys what you think and that will be great!

There is stuff on there at the moment that is W.I.P so its on there ready for my assignment, so they may currently not have breakdowns of areas at the moment but I promise you they will very soon :)

www.grantthompson.weebly.com

P.S I'm currently looking for an environment/prop artist job within the UK :)

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Layout=Awesome
    -Opened your page, and there wasn't any flashy graphics. Just pictures. Super easy to navigate.

I noticed on a lot of your screenshots, you don't have your name on them. From what I've heard, people looking to hire usually save images off portfolios and save them on their computers. If you have your name on every picture, then no matter which one they save, your name and contact info will be on it.

Personally, I think the WIP gas pump doesn't look as good as it could be. Things kind of seem "mushy". I don't really know how to explain it, so I guess that really isn't much help. I can't wait to see when it's done!

The lighting in the Basterds scene isn't very interesting. Your screenshots could have better composition I'd say.

The second and third image of the Brutus JR are awesome! I actually think it would be better if you used those on your front page instead of what you have.

The hand painted pirate props are really cool and I'd like to see you do more :D
    Only thing I would recommend is adding some stains. the metal looks great though...handpainting metal is hard to do

Not a huge fan of the Deus Ex scene. Once again, I think the lighting and composition could be improved.

Overall, very awesome portfolio. Sorry for the mega-post :P