Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

The Automat - Short Animation Movie

Hi everyone,

I'm Alican Serbest. I've been directing short films since 1999 with a group I founded called Babun Film. You can see some of our work at www.babun.org. I also worked as a professional compositing artist between 2006-2011 and worked on a lot of commercials and feature films. I graduated from Animation Mentor last December and I've been working as a character animator for the last 1.5 years.

mainstreet.jpg

For the last few years, I had this short animation project waiting on side called The Automat, which is about a lonely guy in a not too distant future where our planet is invaded by a giant alien species who took our water sources. Even though they are not aggressive, their sizes and their search for liquid resulted in great devastation and our civilization crumbled. In that future, our lonely and nameless hero strikes a one-sided friendship with a woman in a picture on a vending machine. And when that automat is taken by aliens for the liquid inside, he goes after it.

trainstation.jpg

We've been working on this project for the past few months now. Concept arts are finished and for production part, we got some very talented people in our crew who are already working on it. Alper Aksit , who is also currently working in Double Negative as an animator, is our animation supervisor. Pavel Cucka will be leading our matte painters. And there are lots of great modelers responsible for different aspects of our project.

man.jpg

But we are still in need of more talent. We'll be using Maya for animation and rendering but don't need objects to be modeled in Maya. So if you think you are good at one of the roles we list below, please feel free to contact me at aserbest@gmail.com and send me your reel or samples from your previous work. I'll be able to give extra details about the project like extra concept art and script once you are in the team.

street.jpg

It's a non-profit movie with no budget except what I have for my salary as an animator. So I can't promise any payment. But anyone participating in the project will get credit. And of course you'll be free to use any material you worked on, anywhere you like. All of us aim for this to be something we'll proudly show, so it will be a great portfolio material. Finally, I'll be opening a Kickstarter page to try and pay participants if I can. But that's definitely not a promise and it'll only be a small bonus if we got any budget through that channel.

Right now, we are mainly looking for people for these roles:
- Modeling (Especially for buildings)
- Texturing / Shading (Especially need Seniors on this)
- Simulation

This list can change in time, so I'll update it whenever we have new needs.

Cheers and thanks in advance!