Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gordon Freeman

K3ffN.jpg

Ok guys, I've been sort of challenged to do a full character. I make no promises that my skills are there yet, but I'm going to give this a go.

I decided to go with probably my favorite character (or lack there of?). Perhaps it is a little narcissistic to call him my favorite?

Here is the very first steps...

RYTsR.jpg

and just so you can see where I'm headed lol

pzNEF.jpg

So I'm a little nervous about this, but hopefully this thread will push me to finish this guy. I decided to start at the head because that is where I'm most practiced. I'm going to sculpt it up and do the body separate and probably the hands separate from that as well.

Should I do the HEV suit in zbrush or max, any opinions? (I'm painfully slow and not very good in max)

But by all means, tear into me, I am not afraid to smush and resculpt, especially at this early of a stage. Wish I had more tonight but am working a 12 hour shift in the morning :(, g'night.

known issues:

7pVnC.jpg

Replies

• innervision961
    Ok, back with an update...

MD2GG.jpg

TO DO:
    * Hair
    * Finish facial hair
    * Finish ears
    * Lower eyelid needs some lovin'
    * Finish neck area

Then its off to the drawing board to whip up some orthographic references for the HEV suit and begin modelling that inside max, then take it into zbrush for a detail pass, make somes hands, glasses and a crowbar, and I think I'll be getting somewhere :/
  • -Joe-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    half-life_gregory_freeman_aka_gordon_house.png

Hugh laurie could be a good ref too :D
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Get Half Life 2: Raising The Bar.See how they made Gordon, get the pics with the real humans etc.
    "The first section chronicles the evolution of the first Half-Life, containing much concept art and character designs: the various iterations of Gordon Freeman for example."
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    First off don't put yourself down. Keep creating challenges for yourself that are just outside your comfort zone. From what I've seen so far you'll be able to finish Mr. Freeman.

I'd personally treat this head as a bust at the moment. There is no point bogging your mind down with whats to come (The HEV Suit). All in all you making good progress and you can Identify what part need work.

- On a side note about the HEV suit I think it might be better for you to block in the suit roughly in Max and import it into Zbrush.
  • innervision961
    Thanks for the tips! Respawnrt, is the raising the bar book worth the price of admission? (I'm a huge HL fan, I can't believe I don't already have it)

Di$array, I really appreciate it man! You're right, I'm a little scattered worrying about the HEV before I've even got the head sculpted and retopo'd. I really like your portfolio! Especially the Sam Vimes sculpt! A lot of character there.
  • respawnrt