Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Environment - Corridor [ UDK ][ WIP ]

Hello PC!

After this thread I think it's time to move on and get some help here to make my first environment. I'm going with a very simple corridor (I hope so) that was posted on the previous thread.

That said.

Here are the refs:

WUmEO.jpg

> http://i.imgur.com/MtHqt.jpg
> http://i.imgur.com/LG8UF.jpg

And here is the current WIP:

7dtJB.jpg

I need to know if I'm in the right direction...

Replies

• MikeDunnam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    try to keep it in quads if possible. It'll make it easier if you need to change something later. Also if you are ever gonna go out to game or zbrush etc, you'll want quads for better lighting and cleaner geometry. You are headed in the right direction though :) keep up the good work
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh looks nice so far :) as said above though I'd just delete the tris you've made from the window ledge and continue the loop down. You'll find it easier to texture and light :)

Cheers

David
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    reaaly with a simple square environment like this i would NOT get bogged down with baking from high poly...i dont think it will be worth it...

instead work on getting a nice blockout in first... and get a first pass of lighting...then look at splitting it up into assets

alot of people think of environments as making assests and fitting them together... this is a bad workflow and can lead to unatural looking envs (unless its a particularly modular env that suits this approach) get the big shapes in first ... get the big tiling tetures (floors ceiling walls) in then look assets needed
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to see more! :)
  • Mmachado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I'll remove the tris :).
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    instead work on getting a nice blockout in first... and get a first pass of lighting...then look at splitting it up into assets
    Man, I'm soo lost haha. Should I make the blockout with brushes? What is the workflow? Thank you for your help. :thumbup:
  • Mmachado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe someone else can answer my dumb questions. I'll work on this corridor tonight.

Cheers
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    Mmachado wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, I'll remove the tris :).

Man, I'm soo lost haha. Should I make the blockout with brushes? What is the workflow? Thank you for your help. :thumbup:

You can do it with whatever you like, brushes or by making it in max/maya on the grid and then sending it to UDK. UDK can also export your level to FBX, so if you make it using brushes and want to fine tune, you can use that method also.
  • Mmachado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf wrote: »
    You can do it with whatever you like, brushes or by making it in max/maya on the grid and then sending it to UDK. UDK can also export your level to FBX, so if you make it using brushes and want to fine tune, you can use that method also.
    Thank you! :)

Some progress:

KBYiO.jpg

LQgw1.jpg