Home Unreal Engine

Usage of tessellation

Cibo
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cibo polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone i played with a bit with the udk tessellation and have a few qustions.

Can it be that Tessellation shows only good results with organic or round Meshes because they have naturally a equal spreading of edges?
When i use tessellation on a material like a brick wall i need a high tessellation factor at long range because the dynamic tessellation factor lets the vertexes grow and dance.

Is it possible to change the tessellation factor? I can only change the distance when the maximum factor appears but not the factor itself.

Has somebody found a usage of a negative tessellation factor so you can delete single faces from a complete mesh?

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When i use tessellation on a material like a brick wall i need a high tessellation factor at long range because the dynamic tessellation factor lets the vertexes grow and dance.

The point here is that less triangles are being used at a distance...and for something like a brick wall..you really only need to see the tessellation up close...from a distance you won't be able to tell.
    Has somebody found a usage of a negative tessellation factor so you can delete single faces from a complete mesh?
    So your suggesting having missing faces and letting the tessellation fill those holes in? It doesn't work like that. Tesselation is just subdividing whats already there...it doesn't build geometry.