Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dismal Mountains

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along! I agree with Low, the ship is too high! it's almost as tall as that mountain heh. Keep it up :)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the replies guys, it means a lot

@Hugh Thanks, I shall do. I'll update the terrain soon. :)

@Low Boat has been lowered!

@teaandcigarettes
    Thanks for the advice man I'll fix it :)

@aajohnny Haha I only noticed this when you pointed it out! Fixed1

I've added to the boat, made a hut (not finished) and tweaked the terrain. I should say the water is made by this talented guy, I am going to try and make my own though!

http://www.johnheeter.com/advanced-udk-ocean-tutorial/[/URL

292337_10151932662415037_1358818158_n.jpg

528945_10151933418970037_2069214765_n.jpg

531504_10151933418700037_1597618870_n.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The reason everything looks weird for you now is that the mountains don't naturally build up to their top height over several kilometers. A mountain is considered a mountain if it's at least 600meters above sea-level or something like that. If you have a 600 meter high mountain going straight into sea over like 50-100 meters it won't look right.

Reference is key for this, the same thing goes for building villages and stuff like that.
    If people create villages on hilly terrain they usually find flat-ground or create it themselves by making the village in different height-layers. If things get a bit tricky then yes they use a lot more support for the houses.

But then again, you have really freaky and cool sea-villages as well. Such as this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherriepinkle/3807224023/

Oh well :) Think about it, proper terraforming will help lots in the end!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    531296_10151936523430037_1568058652_n.jpg

Thanks for the reply Chris, I know what you mean. I was going for this kind of look with the house: stock-photo-lofoten-islands-30592711.jpg

In the Lofoten Islands they seem fond of houses on stilts :)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just working away:

-Made some reeds
    -Made some Lobster pots
    -Supports for the house
    -Unwrapped the ship
    -Made a low poly ship

578848_10151939493055037_1471402837_n.jpg

377742_10151939493260037_1983189074_n.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay guys I've been away on holiday and didn't have much time to get things done! Started texturing the boat and finished dem lobster pots!!

540455_10151973688120037_1827193390_n.jpg

561071_10151973688415037_432495248_n.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Why are all the screenshots blurry?

Edit:
    Should have critiqued your work, too! I must say this doesn't feel like a scene just yet. It feels like a collection of props. A month or two ago, I saw a scene that had the same issues, by someone else. It was just a mix between the 3DMotive foliage tutorial, and Choco's terrain tutorial, and you could tell, clearly.
    Your trees are 3DMotive trees, just now. I'd suggest redoing them; maybe make them a different species, or something. Because everyone recognizes those trees now, and they just aren't impressive anymore, sadly. Same for the grass, really. Maybe play around with some other techniques. Take a look at the grass and tree meshes in Oblivion and Skyrim, and any other games. Combine the 3Dmotive techniques with some techniques of your own to make something truly unique.

About the boat. Well, I appreciate the Perfect Storm. I'm from a town over from where the movie was set (Gloucester, MA). But your texture needs to feel more real. Check out this picture:
    ladygrace.jpg
    Also, did you build a high, and bake it down? Your boat, at least in these small images, seems to be lacking a lot of the details that could make it awesome. If you're going to make the boat, really make it.
    See these:
    tumblr_kyx6qhwKIS1qzayd2o1_500.jpg
    aab68285e8.jpg

Of course, if it is going to be really far away, it should be ok. But in the pictures you've posted, it's pretty close; so it will definitely need to be one of the best assets in the scene, along with the house. I assume they'll be the focus of the scene?
    Also, yeah, the mountains don't really look good. The scale is all over the place, in relation to the scene. I'd suggest scrapping those, and starting fresh with some new terrain. Are you still going to be modelling some meshes for the rocks on the mountainsides? I think doing that, and fixing the scale, would bring this scene to a whole new level.

Just some things to consider! I like it, and you've shown a lot of progress since the beginning of the thread.

Admittedly, I think the first concept has more direction than this one, though. Not sure yet how I feel about this scene's composition.

Keep up the good work. You clearly have a lot of drive. Something I need more of!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joopson Thanks so much for the help man, it's really appreciated. Yeah I feel like I've really lost my way with this now, it's SO hard to decide whether to keep going or to move on.

- Yes I did bake the boat, and agree with you about the details. I think I will go on and make all the extra things on the boat, it would make it look a lot better!

- About the trees, I think I might just use these ones on this scene for now, because I don't want to spend time changing them because I've been doing this scene for around 3 months, which is RIDICULOUS because it looks like a weekend job!

- I agree about the terrain, I think I have the process pinned down now and should be able to do it again fast enough.

I have a little bit of drive and A LOT of time on my hands xD
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Woah, I go away for a bit and this thread is completely different! :D
    Not a bad thing, but as @biofrost mentioned, be careful not to keep changing everything or you will never get anything done - I know, as I've done it myself and it's easy to do.

I think any valid critiques for the current iteration of the scene have already been made. It would really help to have a main focus with super detail, like the boat, and then build the rest of the scene around that.

Keep up the good work as your idyllic beach is looking pretty so far!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirCalalot

Thanks man :) Yeah Iknow, its just hard isn't it? Making these decisions all the time. I never know whats best.

Well I've called it done for now really, I need to move on. I feel like I've learnt so much and it's strangling me keeping working on this. I made a little video:

al109f.jpg
    nzlpg8.jpg352rjo2.jpg

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVUlP9cb1Hg

The water material isn't mine unfortunately, it's from this talented guy! http://www.johnheeter.com/udk-ocean-now-for-download/
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    looks good. Only remarks I can have are that the water looks like ice in the still shots (not in movement) and that the house looks plain. It could use some wear and tear or signs that someone actually lives there. (A rocking-chair would be awesome)

good luck with your next project!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    yea same here. water is looking like ice. Maybe have it so its more transparent and lose a bit of the whiteness from it.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much guys! Sorry I haven't posted anything these past two days, been moving home from University to London and its been a bit hectic. Came home to a new kitten though :)

@choco Thank you so much :) That is so helpful, I just have one question. When I make the texture atlas, do I just move the different uv's onto the texture, or do I assign the material to the UV mapped face? Sorry if this sounds stupid! I've been googling stuff about it for the past hour and can't seem to get an answer. Thanks so much for recommending this though, I'm definately going to do it :)
    It's common question from beginners.And yes it's hard to find clear explanation
    There are two methods:
    1. Multi-Materials. In max you create Multi/sub-object material and to each slot you assing unique material with unique texture (sheet of texture), and thenusing Editable Poly you assing IDs for materials. That's how gutek did it in tutorial linked by choco.
    Then you unwrap for texture (remember if you unwrap going outside 0,1 space it just tile).
    2. You first create texture sheet. Your texture do not have to be power 2, although it will be easier to fit them if they are. Just setup grid in your software to be power of 2, then scale textures to match.
    After it you need to model over your texture. Best to put it on plane, slice it along textures, detach, and start building from parts you have. You can accordingly modify it. To match what you need.

Which to use ? Depends. In general first method provide higher quality (better texel density), it's easier to get working, it simplifies shaders (you don't have to do some crazy masking stuff to separate wood from concrete for example). Downside is that each additional material on single mesh cause additional draw call (at least one) and in UDK it causes to render mesh for material over again (CE3 do not have problem with last thing).
    Second method is opposite to first. But it should be used for highly repeatable objects on scene.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    You have really improved good luck with your next project.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mr gelmir I'm going to give my own water shader a go soon so hopefully I can fix it! Thank you :)

@iniside Thanks so much for the help :) That clears things up!

@dudealan2001 Thanks it's really nice to know that people can see some improvement!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I know you're done, but if you have time, take a look at how to add a Lightmass environment colour. It gets rid of those dark darks that make this a bit unpleasant to look at. There are no places so dark on a sunny day as they appear here.

The setting is here:
    (This particular colour is that used in the default daylight scene)
    Lightmass%20Colour.jpg

[edit]: Looks like you are using this. It just doesn't look like it in the video. Compression. So....nevermind.... But, the shading on the grass and trees is sort of terrible. I can clearly tell they are planes, and they looks entirely separate from the surrounding light or shadow.

And you'd be doing yourself a favour to change the water quickly as well. Quick fixes that will make a big difference. Just make the water darker, and, as close to this as possible, really, haha:
    Lulworth_Cove.jpeg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    dontcha think the elevation is a taaaad too much? looks odd and out of place to build a cabin with no stairs/ladder practically on the side of a mountain. feel like your terrain choice is dragging down the quality of the other stuff.