Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - abandoned lab and repair shop

Hello everyone, my name is Philip Tsai, I'm from Bay Area, California, currently looking for an entry level job as a 3D environment artist.

here are some of my portfolio pieces, there are a few more piece on my website, http://pt28.carbonmade.com

any critiques and feedback are welcome! :)

Abandoned Lab:
I-1fix.jpg

Abandoned Lab: chair close up:
I-2-fix.jpg

Abandoned Lab: metal door
Untitled-2.jpg

Sea plane in Repair shop:
plane_SS_F1.jpg
plane_SS_R1.jpg

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Abandoned lab looks cool, though the ambient lighting should imo be much lower. Right now the center piece, the chair, kinda blends into the background lighting wise.
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Is the sea plane workshop from Porco Rosso?
  • westsai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comment, xendance, i'll play around with the lighting a bit more and see if i can make the chair pop out.

and yes Jalcober, good eyes, the seaplane is from porco rosso, it was a great film, great childhood memories =D
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I think the thing that sticks out for me is in that lab scene the texture resolution is all over the place. The textures for the chair seem quite high but the floor and walls look really blurry. Also I can't really make out what the walls are made from? They look a bit too photo sourced as well.

The door texture needs a bit of work too. The scratches are too random and uniform. Go back and have a think about what would get knocked and build from that.

It is looking good though :)
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The plane sticks out quite a bit from the rest of the environment. Also the propeller isn't large enough for an aircraft that size.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    please don't ever use a characteristic texture made by strictly following a tutorial, especially a well known tutorial.
    in this case it also just doesn't fit with the rest of the scene.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    It definitely needs improvements. I think the chair, side-table and lamp look pretty cool (Even though the texture sizes are all different in the scene), but it doesn't feel like a lab. There are random crates dotted about the walls and the door (Although looks OK) looks like it is from a bank, rather than a laboratory.