Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heavy soldier

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys. I`mthe first time here. Sorry for my bad English, Im Russian ^_^
Here is my WIP at next gen soldier model. It based on charaters from STALKER. I`m not very nooby, but when i see works from EA, Blizzard, BioWare and other companies my anus began blading poly122.gif So i spend all the time in CG, have no other life and i like this. Also im a outsourse character artist in Steelmonkeys. I hope you guys help me pimp my skills up and ill do everything what i can.
There was another thread on gameartisans, but no one post anythyng. So here is the character - model and wire. Please critic and help me grow up, make my works better. My dream is gamedev, im twenty and time on my side, also i work as hard as i can, i spend 3 years in CG and 5 years painting, and i like it.
About the characer: I dont like his face. In scuilpt it looks much better, but i said no to photo textures and made it hanpainted. Everything not as good as i planed, so i return back to Zbrush and use spotlight to repaint his head. poly133.gif
image.png

Replies

• Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Overall, looking pretty solid. Regaurding the face, I think if you brought the color of the lips closer to the rest of his skin tone that would help a lot. Right now he could almost have on lipstick. Also, it may be the spec map, but his eyes are blowing out. To give any more critique on the face you'd need to post a close up with textures.

Maybe tone back the saturation the outfit? He seems a little overly saturated to me.

Keep it up!
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here am i. Thanks for advice. My friend adviced me to correct the head scolpt and remade AO and cavity, cause i backed everything separatly, lol. Also i i said in my first post i ll repaint all the skin and head. Here is the sculpt and maps. I like diffuse, base paint correctly, as i said AO and cavity must be remade. Also there was another stuf and many trash parts which will be deleted. I ll better place binocular and new ammo pockets on new free UW space. So while waiting your advices i decede to rebake cards and scuilpt new ammo pockets. I want to get as much excellent work as i can. Ill return today evening with new textures and new parts for character. Thanks.
    In attachments all the cards with trash, close up new head in marmoset with AO, normal and cavity. So ugly face :( maybe cause untextured, bit i cant believe it.
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys. I had some time and correct head scuilpt and spend a lot of time on diffuse, but im still dont like it. Here are renders from marmset toolbag, zbrush scuilpt and diffuse map. After 14 hours of work my eyes are blur and i cant understand whats wrong. Maybe you can help me. I dislike face. Its better but still not good. Also i think its better to add some colores or change color value or hue. Everething is same and eye cunt grib on anything. Now im working on guns rotopo and textures, waiting for your help and advicec to improove this guy. Thanks.
    image.png
    image.png
    image.png
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH! Also forget at all, hand and glove texture is not ready. It seems blur and durty, so i move back to Zbush and use spotlight, then detalise and correct in PS.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, the face looks solid, but you could add in more red tones along the cheeks, nose and ears where the skin is thinner and a higher concentration of blood vessels. You could also try toning down the diffuse of the eye a little, it feels really bright in comparison to the rest of the character. In my own opinion, your version of the character with the beard and hair feels like a more dynamic character design, and it would be cool to see him with the hair on.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Gonna correct and post today a new version! Many stuff is not ready. As you see there is some free space on UW. Also as im nooby i fail UW. Elements scaled not proportionly - All the elements must have the same size.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah Der Hollander pointed out some great points. As for your UVs I'd say they are fine. But I would maybe of given the boots greater space on the UV buy scaling them up and in return scaled down the backpack on the UV.

As a personal suggustion I would maybe include the beard but not the hair of the earlier rendition. It may give him a stronger "Badass" feeling.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    correct face a bit. Now im going to experiment with cammo color tone. Still no differense in character and it looks boring cause eye has no point to take attention. image.png
  • marcinLDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look very nice. Good job.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not at all. Now im learning basic rules of design and now understood that simmetrical characters and objects not good at all. Also many stuff to do. Hope it will be less boring.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Im still dont like strokes and leather on pistol pack. All weapons in backing. Going texture them today. If you have anythin to say, please do it!
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character seemed to me very monotone and boring, but i think its too late to rescuilpt or do any movements. I really dont know how to do it better with only the textures. In side of design i saw many mistakes like simmetrical parts, local color basics and poinns of attention. Soon ill finish it and hope lightning, pose, pedestal and stuff help make him not so boring. Also hope my next work will be much better. Many mistakes were analysed. Ill begin with scetch, concept and modeling after all and no movements till concept finished.
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit! I finished it! At last i wanna say that i analysed all the mistakes and hope every my next work wil be better and better.
    image.png
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message