Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ysalex Anatomy Practice Thread (nsfw)

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I assume.

I mean, I might be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt.

Why I say this though is that a normal map doesn't do anything to the geometry, it just helps to fake the lighting, so there is no geometry information for the renderer to take into account when calculating the SSS.

It might not be noticeable until you turn up the quality of the SSS, but I do think it is important, for instance you should b getting red hues inside your wrinkles and pores, but with a normal map, there is no pore/scratch there to calculate. The only time that pore or wrinkle shows up is when the normal map tells the calculated lighting to fake it.

Where-as displacement actually subdivides the geometry before render, and that geo gets taken into account for everything, SSS, lighting, etc.

So I definitely wouldn't suggest using a normal or bump map. Preferably I would not use them at all, since Vray and Mental ray both seem to have some trouble with them, and I know in the past they have given me lighting problems as well.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here is a test render I did of the head a little while ago, I think this illustrates the point a bit.

The area I highlighted in a wrinkle done with displacement. Because the wrinkle is geometry, it gets its own SSS calculations.

Then you get a slight red hue to the upper edge of the wrinkle, but you also get the cool clue highlight underneath.

Had this been a normal map, I wouldn't have got either, and it would look more like a long dark scratch then a wrinkle in the skin.

The thing about tight wrinkles like that is it creates more surface area for the light to enter the skin, and when that happens you get more scattering and more sss.

WKvZRKF.jpg
  • Starkist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starkist polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I suspected that. I tried it a little, and it does takes a huge amount of time to "start rendering", I guess it subdevides the mesh and loads it to memory. But, I couldn't get any decent results yet. Need to set all sorts of extrusion height and what not ptoperly. Also, I'm not sure it exportsa good enough displacement map from mudbox.. I feel like I need to use levels on it, at the moment it inflates my whole mesh.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    If it is inflating your whole mesh , then it's probably the inverse " shift" value. You have to it to negative 1/2 of whatever your displacement is. So if you set displacement to 1, then shift needs to be -0.5 -- or if you're setting it to 0.16, then shift needs to be -0.08

And to save memory, don't give it more subdivisions then it needs. For instance I export my level 2 base mesh, and displace that. I have 8 subdivisions on my model ( in zbrush but same goes for mudbox) so the difference between my highest subdiv (-8-) and what I exported (level 2) is just six divisions. No point in setting it to subdivide more than 6 times, because that will get me back to what I have in zbrush, and there is no more detail in my displacement map than that.
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    Saw your stuff on last month's 3dcreative cover, congrats man! Awesome thread.
  • GhostBlades
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostBlades polycounter lvl 3
    I love the expression - Very well done - the little wrinkle under the eyes really add some realism to it :) well done
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Zeezee.

Yoga pants, jeans, or drop crotch?
    T2OyhOF.jpg
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    dude, that little girl is looking dope, and i would go with the second option i think.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    No drop crotch Guilherme?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe but i would refine the transition to the other leg, the folds in the crotch on the third are pulling the eye way too much to that point while on the other ones the eyes are allowed to roam around the character a lot more.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'll throw my vote in for the jeans.

Is that drop crotch a thing that real people actually wear? It kinda looks like she put on a sweater as pants. Fashion is weird.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    My mind's telling me "jeans".
    But my heart is telling me drop crotch.

I'd bring the up the cuffs on the drop-crotch, though, or make them tighter towards the bottom. I've never really seen a pair that hangs loose like they seem to here.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    My mind's telling me "jeans".
    But my heart is telling me drop crotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Good stuff. Will sub. :)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Dude back when I was in my internship I was always showing off your stuff to co-workers :D. Really hope you get a in-house job soon!!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Drop crotch looks funny. I think it's pretty hard to get it right.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys.

Dustin - you necro'd my thread. Thanks, I appreciate it, your character was the inspiration for testing out the drop crotch, but I didn't succeed in making them as natural as yours.

Garriola - Thanks man.

Beefaroni - Thanks, thats a nice thing to say. I am having a pretty good time freelancing, but the right studio would be nice.

PyrZern - Yep, agreed.

Okay everyone, so this is something that needs to happen but I've been putting off, but I have finally thrown myself into learning to draw.

For now I am doing a lot of messing with values and trying compostion, although I have a TON to learn, it is seriously overwhelming.

Here is a weeks progress. I started on 7/24 with some landscape scratches while I was watching some gumroad tutorials.

I've also tried doing some portraits. The first of these was.... bad. The others are still bad but not at 'kill me now' level.

I bought the book 'drawing on the right side of the brain'. To be honest I think it is a lot of pseudoscience, but the actual exercises are gold and have merit, so I'm enjoying working my way through it.

I would love some critique, feel free to be level I have a long way to go and would really appreciate the straightness, no point otherwise.

I'm not worried about sucking, I imagine it will take me as long to absorb 2d as it took to do 3d, probably longer, but I am looking forward to the process.

bI8wqqB.jpg

J1IEiQE.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    First personal 3d model I've done in a couple months, all my 3d has been freelance and my free time has all been 2d.

Basemesh was done a couple days ago for a project, made it into an anatomy project today and knocked out this pose.

Yc7g40O.jpg

FPHAnbB.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    You are back! Loving it!
    She Reminds me a bit of Kristen Stewart
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Tits wrote: ยป
    You are back! Loving it!
    She Reminds me a bit of Kristen Stewart

I agree, definitely seeing the Kristen Stewart in there. Bad ass work as usual Ysalex.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks a bunch guys - I definitely used stewarts facial planes as reference when I was modeling, but I tried to make it not look like her, I just wanted a couple of the features, I guess I failed to change things enough.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff man ! Really like the pose. You should check your armpit though, the coracobrachialis is missing. Everything is there but this one muscle. Maybe you should try too giving the whole armpit more subtlety.

(sorry for the rough sketch, don't have my tablet.)
    udD4sHU.jpg

[Edit]
    This picture shows it pretty clearly.

2BvOvJC.jpg

And i found some scan on my computer to show you what i mean by subtlety (plus the muscle, again):
    VkjBbfa.jpg
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: ยป
    Thanks a bunch guys - I definitely used stewarts facial planes as reference when I was modeling, but I tried to make it not look like her, I just wanted a couple of the features, I guess I failed to change things enough.
    Haha, you didn't try very hard. Expect a DMCA from her agent soon.:)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the refs and crit felix.

Yeah Zeezee I always wondered what will inevitably happen when a cg artist makes a really convincing nude celebrity. Probably take-down notices and a front page reddit post about the controversy filled with horrific misunderstanding of cg by redditors who 'opened max a couple times' and totally think it needs more SSS.

I think I like the sculpt images more than the renders.

Krgt5xf.jpg
    VdQ4IAK.jpg
    WU5qUQt.jpg
    pvdDrRJ.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    All i can think of is the pain she'll be in when her skin peels off of that seat haha!
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    The facial expression is creeping me the hell out Q_Q
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This is dope! Rad stuff man.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Haha Lee, yeah wouldn't be pleasant.

Here is a head sketch to round out the week, plus some polypaint.

FyO1x7P.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Threw this together into the Marmoset skin shader.

PLp8iv2.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Update:

needs work in areas, I really dont like the pelvis transitions and upper and lower back, critiques appreciated.

5Ti6JRW.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I saw your sculpt an elbow and it was like magic
    *creap back in the shadow*
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see the amount of work you put in and the motivation, keep it up!
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    You are a master of skin dude. Also cool to see you start drawing, I recently started to focus on some drawing too :)

One question, the detail on the lips always looks amazing but I don't really see it in the sculpts. Is that all done with textures or is it just not clear in the sculpts because of sss or something?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Great progression throughout in here... beautiful and inspiring work.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Looking great mate, love seeing your progress !
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Starting to port the whole thing over to vray:

I6m5D43.jpg

cl8PjLz.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here is some more time into it (not much but some)

Zbrush and GMH2 for the hair, used an insert mesh brush to make the hair planes, and then converted them to hair with geomayahair2, just getting it started so looks 'okay'. Also went a different direction with the displacement than I had initially, layering everything in a map wasn't giving enough resolution so now there are tiling micro-displacement maps layered on top of the zbrush displacement, with masks to control them. I think the thickness map needs a lot of work, since the eyes are scattering too hard and too red right now, I will probably work on that next time.

R4Lwq07.jpg

jE4OQRL.jpg

mKJrIBK.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    its silly how good youre getting at this, its not even funny xD

you should do some male people persons though, so you dont get stuck in your comfort zone :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    lotet wrote: ยป
    its silly how good youre getting at this, its not even funny xD

you should do some male people persons though, so you dont get stuck in your comfort zone :)

Haha yeah it's true. This one actually didn't start out as another personal project, it's actually the model and texture from a (realtime) art test that I did (and I guess didn't get the job for), and I decided that I wanted to do a vray breakdown of it where I would eventually put the vray scene, the shader and the model out there, either for free or on Gumroad.

The other thing is that I don't get to model women all that often.

Like if you read my anatomy thread here, it might look like all that I do is women, but the truth is pretty different. In freelance women are the most rare thing I do, most everything else is men, monsters, and fantasy creatures (more of that lately)

Actually if I break my modeling down by what projects I have done, the list looks something like this, from newest to oldest for the last couple of months:

1 - (current) Female

1 - (also current) black female, late 50s.

2 - Archangel (freelance)

3 - Elf ranger 1 (freelance)

4 - female anatomy sculpt (personal)

5 - Black male, late 50s, (freelance)

6 - Elf ranger 2 (freelance)

7 - Police Officer and Security guard (freelance)

8 - Black female, late 40s (freelance)

9 - Black male modular character set, 10 unique characters with swappable everything (freelance)

10 - A deer (art test)

11 - Black female modular character set, 3 unique characters with swappable everything (hair, bodies, clothes, textures, normals)

12 - Sci-fi female (freelance)

13 - a couple of children (freelance)

So yeah, while it might seem like that is most of what I do, really I am trying to move myself away (in my personal stuff) from what I do as a freelancer, which is mostly men and fantasy creatures. I get the least practice with women, especially younger women, since most of the freelance I have done, minus 2 projects, have been younger females, the rest of the females are older (40-50) and have been unattractive.

I don't mention unattractive to be mean or say I'm unhappy with that, I only mention it because there is such a divide between the skills needed to make an attractive face vs. an unattractive face, there isn't one I prefer.

I am not complaining about the lack of women either, I love being a freelancer because I get to touch a bunch of different projects, one of my favorite to date being the late 50's black male. I love the variety of types I get asked to work on, but I do try to use personal projects to balance things out a bit.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    yeah, makes sense, all I do is monster and white guys with muscles too, both for work and private stuff, guess I haven't get tired of it just yet haha. Thanks for sharing :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    By the way lotet I wasn't trying to be mean or anything like that, if I came off dickish. I was just thinking it through and I was surprised by the number.

I calculated it all out from the beginning of this year, and 83% of all the work I have done for freelance is non-female, or if they are, then older female.

I was surprised by that number but it definitely makes sense I guess, not too many women in games these days, mostly fantasy creatures and muscular men.

I have had the good fortune of being the main artist for a game that avoids a lot of these tropes though, so my characters have been more varied (by age, race, and gender) than I think a lot lf people get the chance to work with.

But I definitely see your point. I'm thinking my next project might be a male erorche.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Back into 'render it overnight' mode.

Here is this mornings render. Lots of changes to the shader, darkened the diffuse and let the SSS bring more warmth into it, but it helps me get some of the crazy scattering areas (like the eyelids) out of there. Changes to spec and gloss, the displacement, I guess just a bunch of little tweaks.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    WIP still for the anatomy and render.

88lQrfW.jpg

oyWJZsO.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this in the WAYWO thread and instantly knew it was your work. Great stuff dude!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Yep ^^ Astonishing realism!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks great! And no, your not coming of as a dick :)
    I guess what I meant was that I don't feel ready to move into more meaningful 3D yet, and that im kind of jealous with what you manage to achieve with these studies.

I feel they are more fine-art then anything else. and all im doing is "normal game art":poly122:
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Some renders from overnight, the tattoo render doesn't have any displacement applied, its just to show the tattoo, which I am not really sure about.

dtjkZtk.jpg

iySqouY.jpg

dm0NyQY.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Sweet ! You really got a whole pipeline figured out, that's inspiring. Can't wait to see more !
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks pior!

WIP of the face.

MUIYQCk.jpg

2mab0m9.jpg