Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Plagued Necromancer (Student WIP)

Hi all,
Just started a game character assignment and I've been working on a couple of concepts.

At first I had the idea of creating the rider of the apocalypse, Pestilence. I wanted to make a modern / futuristic warrior however my lack of drawing skills limited my ability to put thoughts into images. I came up with the following:
95e65.jpg

After getting some feedback from my teacher, I changed his bulk to be more biological with some sort of plague or infection:
LjrYT.jpg

Again, the concept changed entirely and after flipping things on it's head, I went with a more zombie-like character:
XrhbS.jpg

My main idea for future concepts is to get a character that still follows the 'pestilence' feel but is more human in terms of body appearance. A diseased / plagued body and stance will help to show that the vile magic he has delved into has affected his own body, rotting flesh or bone.

Any feedback and criticism would be awesome as this will be my first proper character I've attempted to make.

Replies

• joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, thing out the legs if the character going to be boning looks like hes got the fat in hes legs
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshA wrote: »
    looks good, thing out the legs if the character going to be boning looks like hes got the fat in hes legs
    Yeah I previously wanted a zombie-like character, but the generic skeletal zombie sort of turned me off. I totally agree about the legs not being thin enough for the concept I was going for then.

After talking with people I've drawn out some quick sketches of different ideas for a more fleshed out alienish-zombie guy. Most are trash but I like a couple and will revisit those ideas. Tell me what you think:
    TfVdY.jpg
  • joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you were going for a cartoon look i'll say 10
    4 looks like hes got a musk on i like that
    and 16 got that magic user stance i really like that
    i say go for 16 pose with 3 or 4s musk like face
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Thanks man. I'll start working on more refined and detailed concepts.
  • joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    np mate happy to help
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most people I asked seemed to take a liking with #10 of my thumbnails (above) so I decided to build my character around him. I tried many styles attempting to keep the plagued feel going. Here are the two I think work the best:
    ntSCP.jpg

The 'robotic' version I liked, even though it kind of strayed from the original concept. The 'biological' one is meant to be more corrupt and vile (extremely hard to tell from my drawing). Think of the skin wrapped tightly around the bone, with the dark spots on his upper body resembling holes where the plague may have decayed his flesh. Either way, if anyone's keen on giving me some feedback I'd be most grateful!
  • ClamJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like 10 and 11, looks awesome dude, im sure the decision you end up making will be the right one. could mmaybe tie his dredlocks into a top bun thing, and for robotic kinda predator like hair?
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClamJam wrote: »
    i really like 10 and 11, looks awesome dude, im sure the decision you end up making will be the right one. could mmaybe tie his dredlocks into a top bun thing, and for robotic kinda predator like hair?

Cheers man. Yeah I've gotta work out the details and do some final concepts so I can actually start getting into 3D.
  • joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with clamjam predator hair will look great
    i like the biological tape but the cape will be hard to do
    to me the robotic one looks like a undead person in a sci-fi combat suit
    you doing a great job keep it up
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been sculpting out my base mesh (using dynamesh in zBrush), and there's still heaps I'm planning on doing to make it my proper base mesh, but let me know if there's anything that I should be working towards or problems with what I've got so far:
    yv9Mh.jpg
    7bPAF.jpg
    SNa7k.jpg
  • joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a good start on it but i dont think he should have a bloated gut
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I think you should make the biceps and forearms a bit bigger. Looks like he'd have trouble just lifting his arms up :p
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry I've been insanely busy caught up in some family stuff which completely made me forget about this thread. I have been working on my guy over the past few weeks and I've gotten him to this point:
    XhdCP.jpg
    mwdLF.jpg
    2u0uN.jpg

The retopo and UV unwrap was done using 3D Coat. I know they aren't near perfect and could be redone much better, however due to time restrictions I'm trying to move along and get through the steps at a competent level. The texturing also is simply a base layer and there is much detail to be added. Hopefully I'll be able to update more often from here in!
    eJNHo.jpg
    xRHNn.jpg

Once again, any feedback would be awesome. I'd appreciate it greatly!
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here goes a quick update:
    I have the model textured (not satisfactory) and rigged, ready for me to start my animation. There's not a lot of time left, so I'm hoping to be able to get some good quality animations done with time left over for me to revisit my textures, adding extra detail.

My character currently (firstly shown in Gamebryo and then Marmoset):
    0YrSI.jpg
    ymEQ6.jpg

And here's the rig:
    whvHc.jpg

Once again, feedback is most definitely welcome! Any comments about the rig would be lovely for next time, as I'm afraid I won't have time to make any big changes. Critique on the textures will be awesome especially as, like I said, I'm hoping to get back to them and improve on them if I have time left over.
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All finished as of yesterday (deadline). I completed all the requirements however I'm not entirely happy with everything. Hopefully if I don't get too busy with more assignments I'll be able to come back to this and fix everything up.

Final renders:
    tTtw1.jpg
    9YSxQ.jpg
    U3VjT.jpg

Videos of a turntable and animations will be linked as soon as they're uploaded.
  • DrummerDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video links:
    Turntable - https://vimeo.com/42682583
    Animations - https://vimeo.com/42682582

Thanks to those who gave me feedback!