Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bunker structure on a sunny day in UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
aphexx polycounter lvl 12
hey finally i found time to "finish" a piece.
that's a bunker with tiled maps as also with sculpted parts (the pillars) realtime in the UDK editor
it was done while lecturing in berlin. i wanted to show the students how to make good looking tileable maps and normalmaps and how to model meshes for this kind. then we also had some time for a sculpt in mudbox and created the damaged pillars.
the small props you see all over, were partly created within the lecture and other parts i created later, or i had them before (the stairs)

Dwm-2012-04-16-06-16-57-70.jpg
we also painted the pillars in mudbox using ptex and then transfered the paint to the lowpolymesh.
afterwards i baked the normal and AO in 3dsmax. i seperated the uv islands and used one smoothgroup each.

Dwm-2012-04-16-06-17-09-71.jpg

the big painted number on the concrete was placed by using a second map channel and multiply it to the concrete. the other mapchannel 2 parts of the concrete were then packed together into one white pixel of the decaltexture.
Dwm-2012-04-16-06-27-51-93.jpg
i also used this technique, when importing it to UDK.
but in reality i think you'd like to use decals for this instead. since the maps channel vertecies of the second map channel are a waste.
Dwm-2012-04-16-06-27-34-45.jpg
i'd love to add more details like small rubble and such, but for now this has to be enough.
Dwm-2012-04-16-06-18-30-60.jpg

(some more pics on my blog)

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This looks awesome! The textures are really nice. Could you explain more about the second map channel? I'm not really understanding what or how. :\
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Needs moar pipes and dirt/debris detail for the straight edges. :) Good work so far!
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that's great, I'm a beginner modeller and am looking to make some bunkers for a ww2 fps so that's great inspiration.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice. Would love to see some wires and maps if you have the time to show them!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    looking nice so far, i think the top looks a little bit too heavy/massive.
    i also agree with chrisradsby - more pipes/wires/dirt ;)
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    yes thank you all! you are right. it is absolutely not finished in terms of detail objects and detailmaps. however i leave it as is since i wasted a whole night on it yesterday. in the end i did this to expand a database of objects that i'm on. the ultimate goal is to create a wh9ole level one day.
    @leleuxart: one solution for material internal decals/dirtmaps is to create a second uv layout for the additional textures. in this case the texture looks like this: Obj_Decal_Number_1_Df.jpg
    in the shader, this texture will be multiplied with the concrete wall texture in the diffuse channel. white areas won't affect the tone of your concrete texture when you multiply it.
    also you have to tell this decal texture to be mapped in the second uv channel. in the udk you would put a "TexCoord" node into the uv socket of your decal texture resource and set it to UV 1 (which is basically the uv 2, because udk starts the mapchannel count with 0)
    the mapping of the uv 2 would then only be created on the polygons you want your decal/dirt on. all other uv polygons have to be pressed together into into a white area of the decal.
    however these mapping pixels are still existent and are being somputed. so this is not really a ressource efficient method

btw. the pic is not power of two and therefore wont import into udk. you'd had to fix this first, if you want to try it out.