Home General Discussion

cabin in the woods

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I quite enjoyed it, though the closing shots felt underwhelming.
    It felt more like the writer's backed themselves into the corner and just didn't want to go with a more conventional or deus ex machina style ending, so they just...ended it. That left me a little unsatisfied.
    I didn't particularly like the ending (don't kill off the hot redhead FFS!) but I think it was just Whedons way of saying 'fuck holywood and it's infinite sequels'. Not that it's going to stop any prequels. :poly136:
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I liked the ending, It reads as the characters saying 'meh fuck it'. they could have been all noble but instead got stoned and watched as the world burned.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    But she was so hot... :(

:D
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm not usually a moviegoer until a film has been released, but when I see a film, I typically avoid the comedy/horror genre with an R rating. What is the rating for this film? I don't know anything about this film's content without the risk of spoilers.
    I have a soft stomach, you see, and I lovingly try to preserve myself in that way. I can't handle gratuitous gore, shameless vulgarity, intense sexuality... you know, the things that every other consumer seems to love in movies.
    I like my films to have artistic merit, to be cleverly written, and they need to play my emotions like a fiddle. I'm very sorry, but I am an admittedly frail person when it comes to content that I can appreciate or endure.

What sort of content did the film have? Was it pretty bad?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Makkon wrote: »
    I'm not usually a moviegoer until a film has been released, but when I see a film, I typically avoid the comedy/horror genre with an R rating. What is the rating for this film? I don't know anything about this film's content without the risk of spoilers.
    I have a soft stomach, you see, and I lovingly try to preserve myself in that way. I can't handle gratuitous gore, shameless vulgarity, intense sexuality... you know, the things that every other consumer seems to love in movies.
    I like my films to have artistic merit, to be cleverly written, and they need to play my emotions like a fiddle. I'm very sorry, but I am an admittedly frail person when it comes to content that I can appreciate or endure.

What sort of content did the film have? Was it pretty bad?

there was a lot of blood and gore, was you able to handle say shaun of the dead? if so you should be ok.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, the blood and gore was a lot of the comedic over-the-top variety. Shaun of the Dead isn't a bad comparison for the gore-factor, but I felt the movie is more a love letter to the dark humor of Sam Raimi than anything. As for other content; there was a little nudity, a lot of drug references, and lots of four letter words. There is some genuinely tense film making in there to be sure, but almost every tense scene is underscored with a comedic twist or quirk. I'm usually a very harsh critic, but the film was indeed cleverly written, had a lot of artistic merit, and kept me engaged the whole way through.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Loved it. Funny and tense. The ways in which they mocked the typical horror conventions worked really well. It's the stuff everyone shouts out when they watch those films. "WHY WOULD YOU SPLIT UP?" "DON'T GO IN THERE!" etc. Also all of what Rhinokey mentioned. Very smartly written.
    I wish I could get a screenshot of that whiteboard, lots of awesome stuff on there. I was really disappointed that out of all those things ( SEXY WITCHES ) it ended up being Redneck Zombie Torture Family. I was then overjoyed at the end to see a ton of the other creatures run loose. The unicorn bit was hilarious. I think the ending was fine. It was definitely trying to be cool by having the two characters pass a joint as they let the world end.

I also saw the Boomer, that was cool.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    I wish I could get a screenshot of that whiteboard,

you mean like this?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    konstruct wrote: »
    you mean like this?

Excellent! Thanks

One other thing I've just been thinking of now and a bit during the movie.
    Do you think the monsters were real (The Ancients were real afterall) or do you think the creatures were manufactured just for the sacrifice? Was I crazy to see a bunch of robot-like sparks coming from the zombies?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Frump wrote: »
    Excellent! Thanks

One other thing I've just been thinking of now and a bit during the movie.
    Do you think the monsters were real (The Ancients were real afterall) or do you think the creatures were manufactured just for the sacrifice? Was I crazy to see a bunch of robot-like sparks coming from the zombies?

i believe in the movie fred said that
    everything was givven
    to them by
    the ancient ones,
    so i asume they
    were real
    , manifested
    by the old gods.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This movie was awesome! I like all of the aspects and undertones that it handles.