Home Technical Talk

3dmax - Hinge without triangles

Hi!

i have a question, maybe is stupid (or newbe) but i can't figure out by myself, when you use the tool to hinge inside edit poly at face level on 3dmax it creates triangles on the join, my question is, there is a easy way to do that hinge without have any triangle? i tried to use angle snap and extrude face but since when you do that with a subobject doesn't appear the angle sometimes i'm not sure if is the angle that i need, plus the pivot is centered to the face not in a edge of that face.

Replies

• Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is it you are trying to model?

Using hinge will create a triangle. You could add another segment while creating the hinge and then remove the 2 extra segments from the 4 created triangles, but the topology would be bad.

You can extrude the face, rotate 90 degrees, then vertex snap it into place. This creates a completely hidden face and 4 vertices where there should be 2. So I wouldn't go down that road either.

This kind of looks like something you could use a spline for. So I'd investigate that route.
  • untoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing a pipe, i know that i can use splines for it, thanks, i was just wondering if there is another way to do it with edit poly just because sometimes i needed a clean hinge, thanks anyway! :)