Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly FFXIII - Fang

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Norfair polycounter lvl 5
Greetings! I was shown a 3d model of Lightning from Final Fantasy 13 that was redone for Dissidia 012 (awesome game), and I was inspired to recreate a different character from that game as a low res/psp res model. I really enjoy low poly stuff, and am trying to get better at texture painting, so any and all critiques are welcome!

I chose Fang because I thought she was a badass.
fang.png

The model with the weapon is under 2k tris atm; I downloaded the Lightning model and she came in around 2500 tris with the weapon, so I have about 600 for my back faces for hair and the misc. cloth pieces.

Here is what I have so far..

Wire:
Wires.PNG

Texture WIP:
Progress1.PNG

Map WIP: Currently a 1024 - I'm going to crush it to a 512.
map.PNG

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I suggest baking out an AO/Cavity map and adding that to your Diffuse to help things pop a little (depends on where you're going and what you aim for, but it should help you get started much more closely to shadow AO's).

Lastly, are you going to put up a spec? That makes a whole world of difference for sexy female skins.
  • Norfair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did an AO bake and it looks a lot better. I don't think I get anything but a diffuse for this model (I'm referencing a model I found that was ripped from the game I'm targeting this character for). But yeah a spec would be nice!

Still needs some lovin' but the texture is coming along.
    Here are some shots of the texture in its current state:

progress.PNG
    progress2.PNG

And here is the texture:
    texture.PNG
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, it looks as though youve used the trimming pattern directly from the ripped textures from the game, I havent looked closely enough at anything beyond that but my eyes went straight to those first in your texture map. I wont take it any further than that, but I suggest if your going to do things like this, at least say what youve utilised.
  • untoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ei! looks great! i just have one sugestion, not sure if with 512 texture would look nice but i would try to detail a little bit more the hands, other than that i love it!
  • Norfair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hazardous - I see what you mean. I am heavily referencing the 3d model of Lightning ripped from Dissidia 012 as far as how the textures should look, how the UVs were laid out, and how the geometry is set up. I spent a lot of time mimicking what the model was and how it was done. I also am referencing the ripped model from FFXIII of Fang so I can get close in on details. I painted all of the texture by hand except the blue marks on the trim. I saw no reason to try to recreate those differently because I thought marks shouldn't be altered. Also, I am color picking straight from the texture that came with the model. I hope that these decisions aren't ones that are making me look like an asshole; I assume people will know that I did not create or design the original character. Thank you for your comment, as I will include more information if I do things like this again. - and btw, I was excited to see your name on my thread, I am a HUGE fan of your work :)

@untoo - Thanks! I haven't spent any time on the arms, hands, or toes yet. Those are next on the list.

Should be getting close to finishing her soon.