Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Moon Base

Well I've decided it's time to do another environment for my portfolio. I finished my breaking bad scene last month, and I decided that this time I want to do something more sci-fi, and something on a larger scale. I found this awesome piece of concept art by Nguyen Hoang Gia:

500ecf6c61f55602a4ea34846517a16a.jpg

Here's what I have so far, it's mostly just a blockout right now with a tiny bit of detail added and an early WIP of the terrain:

moonbase1.png

Unlike the thread for my last portfolio environment, I want to stay very involved in this thread and post regular updates for feedback, so I'll keep updating this thread as I work on it. Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man thats such a cool idea. That looks like a fun concept as well.

What did you do to get that glow on the horizon? is that just in the skymap or...?

I don't want to bug you too much since your obviously just starting, but your lighting is a little darker in the area of the base than the concept. When I see pictures of the surface of the moon I think of a slightly glowing, bright white with really dark, black shadows, kinda like the panorama here: http://moonpans.com/Neil_Armstrong_on_the_moon.htm.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    ambitious! I like the layout. If I were you, I would make another copy of the concept withe the same exact aspect ratio as your screen. it will give you a better sense of scale, and it will be easier to match your perspective to that of the concept.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I'm trying to decide how to go about tackling this scene in the best way possible. Assume that in the game this scene is in, the player does not get up close to the base, and can only view it from a distance (like in the concept art). Would it be best to use unique textures for each structure, or use tiling textures? I know that you would save texture space with tiling, but I feel like a higher quality can be achieved with unique textures. What would you guys do?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I think it really depends on what it is you want to improve on.

You could make each individual node it's own unique texture, or you could create a couple tileable textures and get it as close to the concept as you can.

Personally i think that would be much more impressive. Much like what snefer did. Since it looks like all of the nodes that make up that moonbase kind of have a similar texture, i would say it shouldn't be too hard to do tileable textures.