Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pixelwaves - Portfolio

Hi everyone!

I'm Thomas and I'm new on the Polycount's forum. I am currently doing a little bit of freelance, but I am looking for a full time job in Montr

Replies

• Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    Personally not a fan of Demo Reels, not unless you're an animator.

Images are a much better way to present your work imo
  • Pixelwaves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'm a junior Rigger-Anim indeed
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    crits -

demo reel takes forever to load
    text on site is hard to read
    to much gloss for my taste
    images are hard to find ( didn't notice there was a portfolio page until the cube finished loading)
    top bar cube nav thing took forever to load / pain in the ass to use

still waiting for reel to load
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    I just watched your 2012 reel, and I think it's really good work. I don't think many junior riggers could pull of the car tires rolling on the ground as nicely as you did.

I'm not sure if you maxed out the settings on the cars but I would add more range of motion to all of the swaying so an animator could really push the pose too far if needed.

Your character rig was pretty basic but the weighting and joint placement looked good to me.

I didn't have any problems waiting for your video to load or reading text. I am at half signal strength on wifi btw so maybe it's just that ericdigital is missing a codec or something.

I'm not sure you need the 90's feel branding. It kind of just adds more time between me opening your site and actually seeing what you can do. I think your rigging work can stand on it's own.

Keep it up.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    your site is too complex for it;s own good, massive loading times, and nav that isnt very obvious, leads to a lot of wasted time trying to view content in the site.
  • Pixelwaves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits eric, and thanks Alex for your message ans crits :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Are you an individual or an art house? There's really no way to tell from looking at this site. It's just over-the-top silly effects, slow loading video and re-invent the wheel style navigation.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Couldn't even view your demo reel because I gave up after waiting 5 minutes for it to buffer.

I'm from Southern California, if Eric's profile is right hes from Florida. I don't know where Alex is from but I think this might be a sign your host can't service North America.
  • Pixelwaves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's weird... Well, I'll try to fix this. However, here is the youtube link of the video, I'll surelly load faster: http://www.youtube.com/pixelwavesfr

Thanks for your feedback, there might be a problem with the host.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The work is good, the presentation is overly complex and kind of obnoxious.

Ditch flash
    Ditch the intro page
    Ditch the music
    Cut video intros (1 or 2 seconds is fine, 15 seconds isn't)

I like the cubical design.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thomas,

Good to see you post here for some feedback. I think what some people are trying to say is to cutoff some of the bells and whistles besides the content itself.
    Let your work speak for itself is the best I advice I could give you. I think your rigging demo is looking good, and also showing variety which is important (meaning organic and inorganic).

Although this might not be of your expertise I will recommend you some stuff you might want to look up to add/improve:

-scripting, as a rigger creating custom scripts always helps (also employers like it...)
    - I was think of maybe do some pipeline test between softwares trying to pass a rig lets say from maya to xsi or another package, I am not familiar with rigging but maybe showing interoperability will be a good thing to show as pipelines are often mix. And a possible employer might want to see how you can solve a situation such as the one I mentioned.
    - Also I would recommend you (if you havent...) to open a vimeo account and post there, quality is better among other benefits. Post your wips, your demo reel, and also independent demos there.

Anyways that comes from the top of my head now, I ll post again If I think of something else!.. good work once again, keep improving.