Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FEEDBACK PLEASE

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Hello dear and respected community, I overcome the fear I feel for the art quality in this community and finally I dare to show some of my work here before I claim it's done.

254v9fn.jpg

2645b7l.jpg

6t36a9.jpg

1zd8n8.jpg

As I know nothing about lighting I used the default start scene of UDK engine to take the pics.

All coments, critics and bashing are WELCOME.

Replies

• Nomad6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nomad6 polycounter lvl 4
    A couple of things you should take care of first:
    -Material definition:
    What's the black stuff that covers the car? Is it like asphalt? rust? poo?
    -Bulletholes:
    Throwing bulletholes in your diffuse doens't make them look like bulletholes (as you see for sure)
    -try to be consistent:
    i have a feeling those plates that are bolted on are to cover up holes?
    as of now they don't look like they're part of the car. Atleast some dirt should be on them.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    seems like the dirt/mud brown stuff isn't really layered on there realistically, looks almost like it's been painted on as a decal (assuming we were looking at this vehicle in real life)
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    The model doesn’t make sense. The walls of the bed have no thickness and it should be mounted to the trucks frame not to the rear of the cab.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    Some really good inspiration/reference for vehicle texturing here (the rest of his vehicles are badass as well :)):

http://www.polygoo.com/port/ravagedcharger.html

as others have stated, the model has some odd components. The poly distribution is off, you have quite a few in the gun and the brush guard up front but the wheel wells are really angular and most of the vehicle has 90 degree corners all over.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is the ammo belt flying in the wind and not hung off the side of the gun like it's supposed to be? I'm really not sure what to make of this thing. It has some sizeable tires on it, but it sits really low to the ground? How did you even texture this thing? I know it sounds cliche but, this is really a do-over kind of piece.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnaFuBAR wrote: »
    Why is the ammo belt flying in the wind and not hung off the side of the gun like it's supposed to be?

Ok I can answer that (not the rest of the comments because I have no answer or excuse for them yet) the ammo belt is just like that because I used a reference pic to make that belt and here it is.

123xrih.jpg

See? it's "flying" in the "wind" not "hung off" why? I don't know I didn't build it, as far as I can tell that's the way is supposed for that belt to "behave", anyway thanks for your comment.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    errr that one is making a logical arc from the gun to the base and bending as much as it can. Yours is defying gravity and then making an almost 90 degree turn down. Its just a matter of thinking more critically about your reference.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    errr that one is making a logical arc from the gun to the base and bending as much as it can. Yours is defying gravity and then making an almost 90 degree turn down. Its just a matter of thinking more critically about your reference.

Ok great, I guess you are right should this be closer to the proper way???

2gx4k81.jpg

Thanks for comment.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, the OP is clearly a beginner, so lets try to cut him some slack. Were your first models AAA quality? No?

Keep it constructive.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre wrote: »
    Hello dear and respected community, I overcome the fear I feel for the art quality in this community and finally I dare to show some of my work here before I claim it's done.

As I know nothing about lighting I used the default start scene of UDK engine to take the pics.

All coments, critics and bashing are WELCOME.

Ok, there are a lot of things that need to be addressed here.

The first thing I notice is that everything feels very rushed here. Its lacking any sort of consistency, the wheel look like they were created one way(baked from highpoly?) and you've got a lot of mis-matched photosourcing going on, with some really odd choices for hand painted wear that just don't really seem logical or to be referencing any specific sort of material.

The first bit of advice I would give you is simply; slow down! I know its exciting to want to skip ahead from the modeling, to uvs, to texture as quickly as possible to get a finished asset, but you really need to slow down and take your time with it.

Secondly, I think this sort of asset is too complex for your current skill level. You would do yourself a great service by choosing a more simple prop, and then posting your progress as you go about creating it here on polycount. Receiving critiques on a work in progress model is such a huge part of the learning process.

I would suggest a simple prop like a crate, or barrel or gas pump, you know the cliche sort of things you see in most games. I know it doesn't sound exciting, but its sooo important to get a workflow nailed down and understand how assets are created before getting too complex.

I would say you should do something like this, and post your progress, receive critiques at every stage(and implement them!) before moving on to the next stage.
    1. Blockout the basic shape of the model
    2. Create the highpoly(if you're planing on baking a normal map from high poly, if not skip to 3).
    3. Create the lowpoly
    4. Create the uvs
    5. Create the texture.

Right now there are a lot of artistic and technical errors that I'm seeing, but its hard to break them down and point out individual problems seeing the model presented as is with no idea of how you went about creating it, what the lowpoly looks like, what the uvs look like, etc. From a quick glace the major problems are:

A. Polygon density/detail consistency is all over the place, some areas are detailed while some are really basic, without much logic going into it.
    B. There are some major scale/readability concerns, like another poster said the bed of the truck is impossibly thin, you need to pay more attention here and try and think about how the object is constructed.
    C. Texture/UV density is all over the board too, some areas with much more detail than others, and you've got some bad uv stretching in areas as well.
    D. The texture itself, there isn't any clear look or style being presented here, it just looks like random stuff you threw together. You need to simplify what you're doing with the material before you throw all these weird details on it. Make it look good with really basic materials, then start to add detail, wear, etc.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Ok, there are a lot of things that need to be addressed here.
    The first bit of advice I would give you is simply; slow down! I know its exciting to want to skip ahead from the modeling, to uvs, to texture as quickly as possible to get a finished asset, but you really need to slow down and take your time with it.

Secondly, I think this sort of asset is too complex for your current skill level. You would do yourself a great service by choosing a more simple prop, and then posting your progress as you go about creating it here on polycount. Receiving critiques on a work in progress model is such a huge part of the learning process.

I would say you should do something like this, and post your progress, receive critiques at every stage(and implement them!) before moving on to the next stage.
    1. Blockout the basic shape of the model
    2. Create the highpoly(if you're planing on baking a normal map from high poly, if not skip to 3).
    3. Create the lowpoly
    4. Create the uvs
    5. Create the texture.

Right now there are a lot of artistic and technical errors that I'm seeing, but its hard to break them down and point out individual problems seeing the model presented as is with no idea of how you went about creating it, what the lowpoly looks like, what the uvs look like, etc. From a quick glace the major problems are:

A. Polygon density/detail consistency is all over the place, some areas are detailed while some are really basic, without much logic going into it.
    B. There are some major scale/readability concerns, like another poster said the bed of the truck is impossibly thin, you need to pay more attention here and try and think about how the object is constructed.
    C. Texture/UV density is all over the board too, some areas with much more detail than others, and you've got some bad uv stretching in areas as well.
    D. The texture itself, there isn't any clear look or style being presented here, it just looks like random stuff you threw together. You need to simplify what you're doing with the material before you throw all these weird details on it. Make it look good with really basic materials, then start to add detail, wear, etc.

Finally!!! ok sir thanks for your answer, now I did a high poly but never bake it....still have it might still be usefull to soft the edges I guess, here are pics of the wireframe and the unwrap

1z1d3zm.jpg

2gujfd5.jpg

I don't want to sound disrespectful or ungrateful but I really want to finish this model (instead of going back to simpler models as you adviced me) I manage to get to this point just by reading and watching tutorials on internet therefore I think that with a little of advice or even a few constructive opinions(including posible solutions for problems/errors)I'll be able to finish it (perhaps not the best car ever but a decent one), so whatever needs to be fixed I'll fix it I have no problem with that, do I have to re-do the whole unwrap? so be it I'll do that too, I found out after I made that unwrap of some really stupid mistakes I made there, doing the texture from zero again? fine I have no problem I'll start from the beginning again, do I need to bake the high poly? Great I still have it and can put some more details into that, I'm not a lazy guy I really try hard to learn but is WAY TOO HARD when you have no one to ask and when answers are more bashing than help (but as I said I can take it but can't learn anything out of that), what I tried to achieve was a burned car that was somehow "rebuild" but not the painting just the machine needed to keep it going and shooting, but that "burn" look is really hard to make I tried several times and this was my best result.

About the bed is ridiculously thin yes... but no one is supposed to be able to look inside there but anyway now I want to fix it too.

I'm not going to lie to you the texture looks random because I had no visual reference for this model (just the basic shapes of the truck and the weapon) so it is random, not because I wanted to happen that way I look for pics of burned cars and try to make it look like those pics.

Once again thanks for your comment and your time.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    It really would be better if you started over. Take whatever skills you learned here and apply them to a new model, because quite honestly it would probably take longer to fix this than start from scratch.Find some good references for a car that already exists, and follow them to the letter.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I agree that it is probably best to start from scratch, you could also:

1. Work on a more simple prop now, with polycount's feedback, and the come back to this asset later and try to put what you learned into practice here, or
    2. Go back to the modeling phase with this asset, and maybe just concentrate on one small area of the model, get that looking nice, and then do the same treatment to the rest of the model.

I think understanding how the whole process works is really important, and I think it will be a lot less frustrating for you to do it on a smaller scale. You can continue to work on this as is, but you'll really have to rip the whole thing apart and redo most of the work anyway, so starting from scratch with a fresh perspective might be a better option.

Oh yeah, to add to that "workflow chart" I wrote in my previous post, add "Gather reference(modeling, style, materials, etc)" before the block out stage.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    reference is key, my last vehicle i had a ref folder with easily over 100 images of the same vehicle from different angles, different "extra" parts that i may want to add to it, paint jobs if i ever really got to texture it, etc

try to get nice even poly distribution, you have more tri's under the truck then you do in the bed of the truck
    -example of too many polys, front guard/steering wheel/back bed bars/front and rear axle/gun? (cant see it in wire shot, just guessing)
    -example of not enough polys, truck bed/side mirrors/back bumper/missing door handles

its not enough to just have even poly distribution but you also need nice smooth poly flow, and this model does not have that anywhere other then the wheels - you can reference my vehicle models for examples of smooth poly flow on high and low poly cars (www.scott-neill.net) thought i would link you to my port. considering i have different wireframe shots to help you out, not saying my work is great or anything just give it a look to see what im talking about or use google :P

but it sounds like you are pretty determined, so im sure you'll get the hang of it soon : ) good luck.